Why become a member? ×

Blues?

Guest subaudio

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1328977921' post='1535581']
Basically you plod along playing a walking bassline whilst a load of guitarists w*** on endlessly over the top of it, pausing occasionally to sing some bollocks about how tough their life is before playing another solo on their £5000 private stock PRS or similar.
[/quote]

True, but not just for blues !!! :ph34r:

[quote name='zzaass' timestamp='1328969308' post='1535423']
This should do it for you. Teaches various blues forms using classic blues songs as examples.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Bass-Essential-Techniques-Leonard/dp/0634089358/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328968588&sr=1-3"]Blues Bass: Hal Leonard [/url]
[/quote]

Bought this recently, very good book if you want to get into Blues from the start.

Clinical trials have conclusively proved that playing blues piles on the pounds:

[quote]
[size=3]Professor Dick Twilley of University College Hospital, London commented:

"Ten volunteers were each weighed and then given a Fender Stratocaster and a blues Jam-along tape. After playing the national average of 72 bars of soloing, the subjects were weighed again.

" In 8 out of 10 cases, the subjects' weight had increased by 100-150 gms. Closer examination showed that all of this additional weight had accrued around the subject's head in the form of fatty deposits." [/size][/quote]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='subaudio' timestamp='1328968161' post='1535404']
Hi all, a bit embarasing this considering I've been playing for so long, but I've never really played blues or listened to it, weird as I'm predominantly a rock player but there you go, so my question(s) is/are, who is good to listen to, who has/had a bass player that can really make music, and what is the form on blues jams?
[/quote]
As a predominantly rock player myself, who has been playing (and gigging a lot all over the country) in a blues band for nearly two years, I would suggest that you don’t get too hung on authenticity and listen to the more recent stuff at this point. The two I picked on were Walter Trout (as both of his bass players are great but quite easy to suss out) and Kenny Wayne Shepherd – in fact if you listen to the first half of the first KWS album you will have the basis of pretty much all you need for modern blues rock!

Not massively authentic I know, but a good crash course on what most punters’ seem to like and a good basis to get you thru any blues jam and many decent gigs that might be out there!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1329052517' post='1536461']
Clinical trials have conclusively proved that playing blues piles on the pounds:
[/quote]
Another study suggests that the associated weight gain with playing blues is because most musicians don't turn to the blues until the onset of middle age

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1329054863' post='1536510']
Another study suggests that the associated weight gain with playing blues is because most musicians don't turn to the blues until the onset of middle age
[/quote]

Well, you need that life time to really get the blues :lol:

Marriage, kids, mortgage etc!

Guest subaudio

Nice one guys, some really great advice and some great music to listen to.

It would seem that the scientific studies and thoughts are entireley correct with the blues, I am now middle aged and pilling on the pounds, and I only started the thread yesterday ! :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1329052765' post='1536467']
As a predominantly rock player myself, who has been playing (and gigging a lot all over the country) in a blues band for nearly two years, I would suggest that you don’t get too hung on authenticity and listen to the more recent stuff at this point. The two I picked on were Walter Trout (as both of his bass players are great but quite easy to suss out) and Kenny Wayne Shepherd – in fact if you listen to the first half of the first KWS album you will have the basis of pretty much all you need for modern blues rock!

Not massively authentic I know, but a good crash course on what most punters’ seem to like and a good basis to get you thru any blues jam and many decent gigs that might be out there!
[/quote]

Last time I saw Walter Trout he announced he wasn't sticking to the set list and would play whatever came into his head. Later on he started "Sitting on Top of the World" and the bass player clearly didn't know it, and wasn't much closer to knowing it by the end of the song. Created an interesting atmosphere on stage.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1329582554' post='1544528']
Last time I saw Walter Trout he announced he wasn't sticking to the set list and would play whatever came into his head. Later on he started "Sitting on Top of the World" and the bass player clearly didn't know it, and wasn't much closer to knowing it by the end of the song. Created an interesting atmosphere on stage.
[/quote]

Wow, that must have been hairy ! hate it when that happens, although it looks like the video of PIno on here playing "aint no sunshine" might have been another case of that, but he pulled it off royally :)

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1329582554' post='1544528']
[/quote]
[color=#222222]Seems to be a common phenomenon in the genre – Paddy (our band leader) does this frequently![/color]
[color=#222222][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222]Usually we get away with it but can come unstuck sometimes[/color]
[color=#222222][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222]At the last gig he called a song of the cuff and the drummer had to ask me what it was after the show – we had never heard of it before (still sounded alright thru)………[/color]

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1329590016' post='1544686']
Recently i've been getting massively into blues - specifically Steve Ray Vaughan, BB King, Joe Bonamassa and George Thorogood. A lot of it is predictable to listen to - but I just love it.
[/quote]
You sound like you could be our target audience!

Yes, it is predictable but it's also a lot of fun if you see someone who can really pull it off. To do so is much harder than it looks - blues is simple music and pretty much everybody can get thru a 12 bar, so to you do need to have something special to stand out from the crowd!

Tommy Shannon was the perfect complement for SRV, as was Chris Leyton I guess, the perfect Blues Trio for me.
Dirty Pool is one of my favourite Stevie Ray tunes with a lovely bass line to go with it. A stand out as peteb describes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFsPYyj7mIU

Edited by kennyrodg