Why become a member? ×

Any Love for Ground/Pressure/Half Wounds?

apa

You see alot of talk about this round versus that round and which flats to use. Very little about the Ground/Pressure/Half wounds.

I have fallen hook line and sinker for GHS Bright Flats. Their called 'flats' but are actually ground wound. Once thy've bedded in they are lovely and smooth with just a hint of resistance with the ribbing. They are perfect for me. Ive got them on my fretless Jazz. The sound is like nicely settled in rounds. Best of both worlds in my view. Ive also got a set of Roto ground wounds on my fretless ryder. Dont like them as much. Not as smooth and are a little brighter. Still nice strings though. Contemplating a set of someone elses in the near future but not decided whos yet

A

I use Picato Half Rounds on my Overwater J5 fretless.. that is my Rock bass of choice nowadays. B)
I managed to become a Picato/Innovation endorsee (just to declare an interest an'all), but I was already using the strings long before that came along.
'S funny, now I'm using them regularly, I can fully understand why I didn't like them (I tried Rotos about 20 years ago IIRC) when I first tried them. At that time I was wanting a smooth string with the sound of a roundwound; doesn't exist! However in their own right I LOVE THEM :D for their fat and rich tone. I don't need the extra 'spoingg' of the rounds on that bass and for those gigs.
Richer than flats, fatter than rounds.

I tried D'Addario XL half rounds once - I really didn't like them. I found them sticky when sliding. Has probably put me off wasting any money on this avenue in the future, so the only way I'll do any further experimenting is if I play a bass which already has them fitted.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1328873010' post='1534003']
I tried D'Addario XL half rounds once - I really didn't like them. [b] I found them sticky when sliding[/b]. Has probably put me off wasting any money on this avenue in the future, so the only way I'll do any further experimenting is if I play a bass which already has them fitted.
[/quote]

I know what you mean but give them a week of playing and the sharp edges of the grinding wear off and they go nice and smooth. As an analogy I think of flats like sliding your finger over plastic and groungs as sliding your fingers over paper.

I've tried the D'Addarios, GHS Brite Flats and Status Half Rounds. I wasn't a huge fan of the D'Addarios as they were still a bit rough; the GHS were good but the G & D felt rougher than the E & A and they were hard to get hold of. Then I tried the Status - inexpensive and best of the bunch IMO, I have them on my fretless.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=1534003"][/url]neepheid, on 10 February 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:[/b][/size]

[size=3]I tried D'Addario XL half rounds once - I really didn't like them. [b]I found them sticky when sliding[/b]. Has probably put me off wasting any money on this avenue in the future, so the only way I'll do any further experimenting is if I play a bass which already has them fitted.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know what you mean but give them a week of playing and the sharp edges of the grinding wear off and they go nice and smooth. As an analogy I think of flats like sliding your finger over plastic and groungs as sliding your fingers over paper. [/font][/color]

-----------------------------------

Me too, exactly the same experience here. Felt really rough at first, but either the roughness went within a week, or I got used to it.

In my own mind I sort of imagined that the grinding process had left lots of little burrs on it. It certainly felt like that.

Not using any half rounds or flats at the moment, but thinking about it seriously (but probably not d'addarios)..

Edited by Count Bassy

I tried the Status ones but found them too flat-wound. Great flats and great price but I was looking for a little more of a flat/round compromise. Now have Rotosound Pressure Wound and am really happy with them although I can see some slight markings on my ebony fretless board after about a year's use.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1329126648' post='1537335']
I tried the Status ones but found them too flat-wound. Great flats and great price but I was looking for a little more of a flat/round compromise. Now have Rotosound Pressure Wound and am really happy with them although I can see some slight markings on my ebony fretless board after about a year's use.
[/quote]

Thats not put me off ;)
I prefer the smoother finish of the GHS's to the almost still round Rotos :D

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1329132767' post='1537476']
Thats not put me off ;)
I prefer the smoother finish of the GHS's to the almost still round Rotos :D

A
[/quote]

Wasn't meant to - I was looking for a bit more "grunt" and didn't want the totally smooth, classic fretless tone - the "mwah" as it seems to be described in every fretless for sale thread! If you are looking for smoother, then yes, the Status are great, excellent value and great customer service - wouldn't knock them in any way!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1329133122' post='1537485']
Wasn't meant to - I was looking for a bit more "grunt" and didn't want the totally smooth, classic fretless tone - the "mwah" as it seems to be described in every fretless for sale thread! If you are looking for smoother, then yes, the Status are great, excellent value and great customer service - wouldn't knock them in any way!
[/quote]

No worries :) I didnt take it as you trying to put me off :D Was just a figure of speech ;) since we like opposites.

A