Why become a member? ×

Foderas... Too expensive?

binky_bass

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1328520960' post='1528264']
[b]And as for ricks, fenders, gibsons etc they're pricetags are somewhat more realistic.[/b]
[/quote]

So is their quality control mate. Everything from accuracy of fretscale, neck fit, routing, finishing ..

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1328541021' post='1528691']
Yeah I would never hold up Fender as a quality brand, but there are makers out there with sensible prices and consistently high build quality. Yamaha for one.
[/quote]
My Fender Deluxe Strat however is absolutely superb! But it's really what a Standard Strat should be IMO.

The glaring point that pokes me in the brain is this. Someone here has already said it to some degree, but here we are. The humans that work at fodera are just that, human. They are not supermen and they can only acheive the same results as many many other instrument makers. Do they know something others don't? No they don't. The answer is again, solely down to aesthetics and demand for the look and style of their instruments which strikes a chord with a lot of players who have the money to spend or are willing to sell their grannies to get the bass of their dreams only to sell it on basschat a few weeks later in favour of that jazz bass that has always been so faithfull (need to get their granny back and at least they had a few weeks with a fancy plank). I am certain the quality is second to none, along with a lot of other makers who cannot demand that kind of money due to a smaller/less well off market.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1328547877' post='1528875']
Foderas... Too expensive? Well they've been selling them for over 20 years, so it appears not.
[/quote]

The one that arrived at my house today is 29 years old later this year.

Feels and sounds great, fabulous neck.

It's obviously been well played and gigged. I know one recent owner was a guy called Mike Bendy who's played with a few pretty good people.

Could easily become my number one gigging bass :)

So... Maybe the key is to find a cheap but good luthier to make you an exact copy of a fodera for a third of the price and name it a fauxdera :)

It'll be like those Chinese cars that look exactly like an Audi or BMW but cost about £10,000 instead of £30,000.

So, who wants one of my fauxderas?

It'll be mostly made of Lego though...

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1328573563' post='1529528']
So... Maybe the key is to find a cheap but good luthier to make you an exact copy of a fodera for a third of the price and name it a fauxdera :)
[/quote]

Isn't that like buying a Toyota MR2 and putting a Ferrari bodykit on it?

I had a go on a Monarch a few years ago, which was beautiful, but no use to me and my playing style-I wouldn't dream of digging into it with a pick, and some of the places we play I hesitate to take my Shuker into, much less a Fodera. It really depends what floats your boat-many people (me included, sometimes) think I'm round the bend for owning an Omega watch which costs not far short of three grand (I didn't pay anywhere near that) when a Casio will do the job better for a fraction of the price. I would [i]hate [/i]to have to sell it though. Same with Foderas I imagine. Sometimes it's just good to have nice things.

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1328573563' post='1529528']

It'll be like those Chinese cars that look exactly like an Audi or BMW but cost about £10,000 instead of £30,000.

So, who wants one of my fauxderas?

It'll be mostly made of Lego though...
[/quote]

No thanks!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38IXZkhL1A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38IXZkhL1A[/url]

Although the materials of the Fodera presumably cost more than a mass produced bass isn't most of the cost in labour. No doubt Fodera could reduce costs by not being based where they are and also cutback some time in areas which may not be noticed by many.

Find luthiers with the same level of skill based in the far east and the 300 hours of work goes from 6,000 to 600 pounds even if all other costs remain the same. Unfortunately a lot of people still see an object made by the west to be more desirable...

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1328612220' post='1529834']
Unfortunately a lot of people still see an object made by the west to be more desirable...
[/quote]

Why unfortunately? As has been said in this and other threads, it's about (1) Brand perception, and (2) Whether you can afford it or not. Consumer capitalism.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328613101' post='1529872']
Why unfortunately? As has been said in this and other threads, it's about (1) Brand perception, and (2) Whether you can afford it or not. Consumer capitalism.
[/quote]

Why unfortunately - because it is based on racist grounds rather than grounds of quality. Nothing to do with whether you can afford it and nothing to do with capitalism.

Hmm, not so sure that's racist. 'Country-ist' perhaps. In the 70s, Japanese electronics were generally regarded as superior to Taiwan/Hong Kong goods. Sony tends to still ride that wave today. Not sure how that can be interpreted as racist from a western perspective. German cars have a high quality reputation, American cars have a poor reputation, in Europe at least. Is that racist?

I would never defend true racism, but I do think it's an overused excuse for many things.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1328615188' post='1529915']
Why unfortunately - because it is based on racist grounds rather than grounds of quality. Nothing to do with whether you can afford it and nothing to do with capitalism.
[/quote]

Are you seriously trying to tell me that we should buy goods from the far east over western products because to buy western products would be an act of [i]racism[/i]?? Thanks for pointing this out! And there's me been buying stuff based on quality and price [i]outside[/i] the capitalist system, somehow!

Edited by discreet

No, I am not trying to tell you where to buy your goods and buying from the west is clearly not racist.
What I am saying is that some people value a product on the country in which it is made rather than on quality/workmanship alone and seem to think it will be better made solely because it is made in the US for example. That is the racist aspect.

And yes, buying on price and quality does not equal capitalism. Quality takes more time so costs more in any way you look at it.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1328617613' post='1529981']
No, I am not trying to tell you where to buy your goods and buying from the west is clearly not racist.
What I am saying is that some people value a product on the country in which it is made rather than on quality/workmanship alone and seem to think it will be better made solely because it is made in the US for example. That is the racist aspect.

And yes, buying on price and quality does not equal capitalism. Quality takes more time so costs more in any way you look at it.
[/quote]

I don't think it's as personally directed as racism.

For me, it is based upon historical evidence of quality. I remember when I was growing up that every silly toy that you found in a Christmas cracker had "Made in Hong Kong" stamped on it, along with poor plastic mouldings which had leaked at the edges and it generally was 1) not very good at what it was supposed to do (leaping frogs for example) and 2) fell apart by the end of Christmas Day. You carry those experiences with you, and it informs your opinion on things. It's got nothing to do with the people, or the place, just the perceived quality of the products which happen to bear the country name.

It's all nonsense now, the quality of products coming from the Far East now are vastly superior than they were and I'm open-minded enough to embrace that as an inevitability. Not everyone is, but I'm willing to bet that most of the time the negative opinion expressed of Far Eastern goods is based upon the historical experience of product quality, rather than someone objecting to it on grounds such as "some dirty, yellow skinned, slitty eyed, commie Chinese slimeball had his greasy, dirty, commie Chinese hands all over that bass so I won't touch it.". I'm not so naive that I think it doesn't happen, but I'll wager it's the minority.

Agree, racism is probably too strong a word, but it is making a decision based on who made it/where it is made so it does come into it.

That is not really what I was getting at though. It still stands that the same product can be made to the same standard pretty much anywhere. The question is, could the buyer accept that the same quality of instrument is costing 2,000 instead of 10,000. The fact it needs that Fodera / made in USA badge means it is worth the extra 8,000 to the buyer. That is where I agree it is consumer capitalism.