Why become a member? ×

Anyone know where i can get my jazz neck bound and blocked?

tommorichards

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1328449820' post='1527099']
Have you tried them?
[/quote]

No, I've always fancied an inlaid neck but the cost from allparts or warmoth was too much. For about a second or two I thought of getting a set of these but I think they're a bit naff. A bit like sticking go faster stripes on your nissan micra.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1328451404' post='1527149']
Are the blocks on Squier VM Jazzes not stickers? Look pretty pretty convincing if they are.
[/quote]

I don't know.The blocks on my Geddy Lee were painted on. Looked pretty good to me.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1328451265' post='1527145']
No, I've always fancied an inlaid neck but the cost from allparts or warmoth was too much. For about a second or two I thought of getting a set of these but I think they're a bit naff. A bit like sticking go faster stripes on your nissan micra.
[/quote]
Well I've had a few sets of these, and they are VERY convincing. I have asked a few basschat members who have seen them in the flesh, asked them what they thought the inlays were made of, and no-one thought they were vinyl, they were guessing MoP, abalone, etc. They are much better than you think they are.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1328451860' post='1527167']
Well I've had a few sets of these, and they are VERY convincing. I have asked a few basschat members who have seen them in the flesh, asked them what they thought the inlays were made of, and no-one thought they were vinyl, they were guessing MoP, abalone, etc. They are much better than you think they are.
[/quote]

That's interesting. I fitted my old Geddy Lee's neck to my sunburst jazz body and it looked great. The Geddy is now sold and bringing joy to another Basschatter but I bought a 99 quid Mighty Mite neck a while ago which would look great with black blocks. If you say they're actually decent quality I may give them a try. After all they're cheap as chips.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1328452938' post='1527194']
That's interesting. I fitted my old Geddy Lee's neck to my sunburst jazz body and it looked great. The Geddy is now sold and bringing joy to another Basschatter but I bought a 99 quid Mighty Mite neck a while ago which would look great with black blocks. If you say they're actually decent quality I may give them a try. After all they're cheap as chips.
[/quote]

I got mine from the American Colonies [url="http://www.ccinlays.com/"]http://www.ccinlays.com/[/url]

He's a bit of a funny geezer though, the Roman Numerals were wrong and I had to tell him to send me another, correct, set, he asked me to pay for the postage! He said he'd sold loads of them without any complaints. I told him they are probably the same people who get a tattoo of what they think is a lovely meaningful Chinese proverb only to find out much later that it says "Pork in Black Bean Sauce and Egg Foo Yung". Anyway, he sent me a correct set after I told him what they should have been. He paid for the shipping.

Here's a pic of mine

Ha Ha, I see he still has a picture of the wrong ones :D

Edited by silddx

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1328451404' post='1527149']
Are the blocks on Squier VM Jazzes not stickers? Look pretty pretty convincing if they are.
[/quote]

Probably but its a bit difficult to tell so either way they look good.

A

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1328471485' post='1527680']
Why not buy a used classic 70s jazz and swop the necks?

You might even prefer the classic 70s and decide to keep it. They are lovely basses and outstanding value for money.

Frank.
[/quote]

This is what I too would suggest.

If it were me..and I HAD to have it, I'd get a new neck made.

Sims would do it..as would a few others, but you need to match up the bass with the new neck and I'd be think £400 ior so for the neck..

If the bass is only worth £500, for example..then it doesn't make sense to me..!!