Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Spyder 550 head - £400 posted

franzbassist

I haven't had this long, got it just before Christmas, but I am tempted to go back to a separate pre/power amp setup so testing the water.

All the skinny about these amps is on the Ashdown site [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=dt&ID=247"]here[/url], but essentially what we have is the Dual Tube preamp (12AX7 and 12AU7) with an ABM power stage. Lovely warm tube tones, bags of power, what's not to like?

You can hear the very amp in my clip below (forgive my inane babble, it was a spur of the moment thing to record it!):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QibZQbxSc[/media]

Cheapest I've found these new is £469, so I am looking for [b]£400 posted in the original box or £390 collected (NE Hampshire or Central London)[/b], and I'll include a Roqsolid cover worth £28 too.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video! Suppose you don't fancy doing something similar with that p-bass through the lb30? YouTube is (perhaps surprisingly) pretty light on realistic videos of the little bastard.

Good luck with the sale!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1329566529' post='1544293']
very nice review - i wish more were like that.

now, of course i want it, and i hate you !

:)
[/quote]

Haha, sorry about that. I shot it totally off the cuff, which is why I come up with such gems as "when you turn it up, it gets louder"! D'oh!

Anyway, half tempted to keep this as it does sound so good, but for now it is still available...

I have the combo version of the Spyder head (550 Touring), excellent amp, not being a natural bass player I probably don't use the amp to its full potential. However, it produces the sound I like and has plenty of Oomph.

I too changed the stock valves to JJ's due to one of the chinese valves going microphonic, Ashdown sent a new set of JJ's as the amp is still under warranty.

If I had the spare cash I would certainly be interested in buying your head as I have another side project I looking at.

Lee

[quote name='Lee-7' timestamp='1329819952' post='1547718']
I have the combo version of the Spyder head (550 Touring), excellent amp, not being a natural bass player I probably don't use the amp to its full potential. However, it produces the sound I like and has plenty of Oomph.

I too changed the stock valves to JJ's due to one of the chinese valves going microphonic, Ashdown sent a new set of JJ's as the amp is still under warranty.

If I had the spare cash I would certainly be interested in buying your head as I have another side project I looking at.

Lee
[/quote]

Cheers Lee! I hope your project gets going soon! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gareth, I am really interested in this amp... I see you have a LB (which I also have!). I am assuming as it is the same pre-amp as the LB, is it effectively a loud version of the LB (I guess like the Little 550 Bastard)? or does it have a different sound?

Cheers, Richard.

• 3 weeks later...