Why become a member? ×

Starting Out

Quest_bikerider

Hi all bass players,

I am new here, & a relitive beginer so please be gentle with me. Without repeating myself please refer to my introduction post 'Marc Berkshire' I think it indicates whare on the bass playing spectrum I belong, which is somewhare near the bottom I more than suspect. I now have some time on my hands & would like to 'learn' this instrument properly . Im not a natural musician, or have asperations to be the next best there is, but I have a good work/practice ethic & would like to improve for my own benifit & enjoyment, I am sure Im not the only one in this position, so i & maybe others would just like to know how all you experienced bass players started out & the path you have taken to get whare you are, any advice you could give to a novice like myself would im sure be valuable?

Have you sorted any more lessons? I saw from your intro post that you have done a course but you may find that having some more lessons will refresh your memory and perhaps introduce you to other techniques etc. Can you read music? I know opinion is divided on whether this is necessary but IMO it is an enormous benefit.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you (albeit a couple of years younger ;)) as I (re)started playing only about 8 months ago and I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm not sure either where this will take me...

I seem to recall the first thing I did was learn the bass line to 'Stand By Me'. Then I learned the blues scale. From there I think I figured out that the odd-numbered intervals of a scale made up chords and I was suddenly better than all the other bass players I knew.

I'm not now of course because my education stalled quite soon after that. ;)

Thanks for your replys guys.

in responce muttley, I dont read music ie sight read but I have learned a little about music notation, scales & notes on the bass but tbh I find reading a strugle im ok with tab but then again tab doesnt give you the whole picture as there is no rythem notation of course, I can definately see the benefits of reading music so I will try & learn any advice on this? is there a good progressive book spacifically for reading music on the bass guitar?
As for the lessons I dont have as much desposable cash as I did a few years ago but I do agree they would help. I think playing with other musicians would bring me on but I strugle to find others who,s ego is not vastly inflated & looking to be the next super group, or who want a bass player like Flee or someone brilliant, & on the other end of the scale guys who can play a bit but really cant be botherd & are more interested in getting p*****d or smoking weed than playing music. I am just enjoying the learning curve at the mo.

1. Join a band
Keep trying and you will find like minded musicians.

2. Learn your favourite songs (and [u]any[/u] music) by ear.
Tab is rubbish, youtube videos are rubbish. Put the song on and work it out yourself - keep trying - you will get it. Tips and clues from your bandmates (see 1.) will help. Learning like this will develop your ear and be invaluable to you in future.

3. Play bass every day.
Goes without saying!

Following on (or through, as seems to be the case for me most of the time ;) ) I echo the comments about learning by ear, but I would say that tabs can be useful when you just can't quite hear what is going on in one section. Look at a few different ones for the same song, and try to use them to work out the missing bit (they'll normally all be different!!).

Also, as mentioned before - play every day. Even if it's only a couple of songs, keeping your hand in daily is better than a marathon weekend session.

If you want to start on some easy but worthwhile bass lines to give you a sense of satisfaction, look at early Beatles.

Finally, try and get a few lessons locally before you get too far in, to try and avoid any bad habits creeping in.

Enjoy it - it's a great hobby/skill to have.

Ok well I'll come in from a different angle to what most people will say on here.........

I've been playing bass for 30 years on and off (big time off halfway through that 30 years), but I don't know any theory. At all. I don't know what notes I'm playing at any point at all, apart from E A D G, the standard open string tuning.

I picked up a bass because I heard Tina Weymouth, JJ Burnel and Colin Moulding....and because I loved the sound so much, I wanted to have a go myself. I've never been one for learning someone else's basslines note for note (unless it was for a tribute band and it was expected of me), and I can do that no problem, but it's not "FUN". It's not [i]creative[/i].

A lot of people will advise learning basic theory, etc etc, and they're wise words, honestly, but ask yourself.....[i]WHY[/i] do you want to play music on a bass guitar? To be technically great in a few years time? Or because you love music and want to have [i]fun[/i]?

For me it was the later. I learnt to play, by playing along to my favourite music, with my bass, making up basslines that sounded good to me, and I had fun doing it. So I'm still doing it all these years later because I still enjoy it, and I learn everything by ear, and by listening carefully to what the music needs, NOT what amazing techniques I can throw in there.

Theory is probably a good idea to be honest, long term, but don't forget to have fun too, otherwise there's really no point.

Just my opinion, many will shoot me down, but whatever.

Edited by Rayman

My advice would be to learn a few things but learn to play them well - this will bring on your confidence and will result in you enjoying playing the bass (see Rayman's post). I agree that theory is useful but you may not need this for a while yet - learn your major/minor scales of course but don't get bogged down in theory till your technique is sound...

You might also want to amend your signature so that other BCers can see where you're from - you night find somebody who lives locally who'll give you a few hints/tips..

Just have fun.

Learn a little each day and don't be too tough on yourself. Listen to lots of music and particularly what role the bass is playing. Listen to the timing and length of the notes as well as where they are on the fretboard and what they are called.

If you record yourself now and in a years time see how much you have progressed. It'll either be a real motivater or you may want to top yourself :P

There is some very good material on here. Look for the Majors Boot Camp that has some really good exercises and explanations to theory:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/74284-the-majors-bass-boot-camp-session-index-1-36/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/74284-the-majors-bass-boot-camp-session-index-1-36/[/url]

I know it feels as I'm in a similar boat, I also tried stand by me, but found the off beat bit tricky as a relative newbie - I get very very little practice time

What I found helpful was buying a drum machine to jam along with. You can decent online ones too. Record yourself If you can - the good bits are a good confidence boost

As someone else observed - listen to the bass in songs - I try to imagine bass that i would put in there, even if I can't actually play it yet
Listen to the guitar and imagine what you'd play behind it and how you'd change the sound

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1328026071' post='1520506']
Ok well I'll come in from a different angle to what most people will say on here.........

I've been playing bass for 30 years on and off (big time off halfway through that 30 years), but I don't know any theory. At all. I don't know what notes I'm playing at any point at all, apart from E A D G, the standard open string tuning.

I picked up a bass because I heard Tina Weymouth, JJ Burnel and Colin Moulding....and because I loved the sound so much, I wanted to have a go myself. I've never been one for learning someone else's basslines note for note (unless it was for a tribute band and it was expected of me), and I can do that no problem, but it's not "FUN". It's not [i]creative[/i].

A lot of people will advise learning basic theory, etc etc, and they're wise words, honestly, but ask yourself.....[i]WHY[/i] do you want to play music on a bass guitar? To be technically great in a few years time? Or because you love music and want to have [i]fun[/i]?

For me it was the later. I learnt to play, by playing along to my favourite music, with my bass, making up basslines that sounded good to me, and I had fun doing it. So I'm still doing it all these years later because I still enjoy it, and I learn everything by ear, and by listening carefully to what the music needs, NOT what amazing techniques I can throw in there.

Theory is probably a good idea to be honest, long term, but don't forget to have fun too, otherwise there's really no point.

[/quote]

+1

are you me by another name?

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1328026071' post='1520506']

[/quote]

No, I agree with every word of that!

Rayman is spot-on with his post. Take up an instrument cos it`s fun, and let everything else develop from that point. I probably love playing bass more now than at any other time in my life, after 30 years, and I still don`t know any theory, couldn`t tell if I`m playing a major or moinor scale etc. But I can tell, by ear, if what I`m playing is right or wrong.

Not much to add to what has already been said! Be aware though, that the learning process is not linear. There will be times when you feel like you are improving in leaps and bounds, and then times when you seem to get stuck and bogged down. It has probably happened to all of us at some time....

Thanks for all your comments, i cant tell you how much I appreciate your input. For a newbie like myself it seems like a bit of a minefeild out there. For one I am glad I joined this forum & I feel I have learned alot from here without even picking up my bass, Just to answer rayman's questions (great post), in the same way, I started playing bass because I listend to music with some great bass lines/players & I simply loved the sound of the instrument & wanted to play them, & now I love the sound of my own Fender Jazz, even if I do play more than a few duff notes, & now Im listening to music that I would never had done if it were not for taking up this instrument & I am certainly having fun with it. As I'v said Im not looking to be the best there is, for me it is just a hobby not a means to make a living or to get too serious about. But after reading the posts here I feel more motivated to play than ever before & I am definately going to put into practice your ideas, please keep them coming they are more than welcome. Thanks.

Awesome. Just one thing to add from me. I've played drums, guitar, I've tried trumpet, clarinet, keyboards, and for me at least, not one of those instruments held a candle to the Bass Guitar. Bass has opened my eyes to Dub, Funk, Jazz, Soul, etc etc when all I knew before was rock and punk mainly. There is no other instrument better for opening musical doors and opportunities than the Bass Guitar, and there is [i]definitely[/i] no instrument cooler or more respected by other musicians.

You say you're no natural musician - I doubt anyone else round here is either. You also say you have a good desire and work ethic. That will be more useful to you than anything that comes naturally!

Just a couple of tips. Always try and play through an amplifier , however small. Play too much without it , and you'll end up like me - hitting too hard.

Don't keep practising what you can already do or nearly already do. Practise things just beyond your reach.

Be a player - don't get obssessed with being a gear collector.

There are loads of folk driving around in a Roller who never played anything other than a root and a fifth - many of them didn't even bother with the fifth!

You can't break a rule unless you first know what it is - but rules were written for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise.

Enjoy - have fun. If all you ever do is practise - what you'll become expert at is practising !

You can use as many fingers on your right hand as you want, or not , - and your left. Thumbs are fine - no thumbs are fine. In other words , you can do whatever you like with one exception - you must use your ears.

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1328211358' post='1523890']
Awesome. Just one thing to add from me. I've played drums, guitar, I've tried trumpet, clarinet, keyboards, and for me at least, not one of those instruments held a candle to the Bass Guitar. Bass has opened my eyes to Dub, Funk, Jazz, Soul, etc etc when all I knew before was rock and punk mainly. There is no other instrument better for opening musical doors and opportunities than the Bass Guitar, and there is [i]definitely[/i] no instrument cooler or more respected by other musicians.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more - I've used my love of bass to guide me through discovering loads of new music too - eg i was massively into Primus years ago and it was through Tommy the Cat I discovered Tom Waits - Les played on his album Bone Machine which I bought - I couldn't hear Les in the mix but I loved that album and then got into a load of his older stuff like Rain Dogs etc

The bass - acoustic and electric - is an amazing instrument and bass guitar has never been more versatile in its potential uses, but there's nothing quite like playing a killer bass line and knowing that's the reason that the crowd are dancing and that your band sounds so good... a great groove is a very special thing indeed :)

Good luck getting into the instrument - there are literally hundreds of brilliant educational threads in the Theory forum and many are great for getting to grips with the basics of bass - and this place has more than its fair share of know-it-all bass geeks - good job they're mainly a lovely, helpful, friendly bunch innit? :)