Why become a member? ×

Fuzz!

lxxwj

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1327686550' post='1515456']
Anyone tried Devi Ever stuff on bass? I bought a Vintage Fuzz Master for guitar but it doesn't suit my delicate jazz chords.
[/quote]
yep. tried the 'bit - legend of fuzz' an 8-bit fuzz/scrambler. it is bonkers, but had to move it on as i wasn't getting enough use out of it.

i still have Shep's old Soda-Meiser (with chaos switch). it sucks a bit of low-end, but i love it, and still use it. - keeper !

i haven't tried any of the bass specific ones yet.

the thing about Devi's pedals are that they are unpredictable but capable of awesome noises. probably best for studio/home recording rather than live stuff, as the gain structure on the ones i've tried are crazy, so getting the right setting is hit and miss. i do like them though !

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1327672002' post='1515134']
+1

Best fuzz I've used. Also Taylor's awesome.
[/quote]
From the samples and demos, I'd have to agree. This is definitely the one I'm gonna get.

[quote name='blind pilot' timestamp='1327686949' post='1515464']
Stolen from TB - there is a massive thread on JC's set up! Its helped me bundles! [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/tool-tone-fx-sticky-thread-ver-1-a-620296/"]http://www.talkbass....ver-1-a-620296/[/url]

His dirty channel goes to a Proco Turbo Rat, then a Boss GEB-7, then a Prescription Electronics Depth Charge, then out to the amp. The Turbo Rat and GEB-7 (boost low-mids and highs) are always on, the Depth Charge is used only for the distorted intro to "Flood" in concert.

His main channel then follows this path:

Guyatone VT-X Tremolo (used in "Lost Keys" and "Right in Two")
Digitech Bass Whammy (used in "Eulogy", "Third Eye", "Schism", "Ticks & Leeches", "Lateralus", "Disposition", "Vicarious", "The Pot" and "Right in Two")
Tech 21 Sansamp GT-2 (used for all distortions on Aenima and Lateralus, as well as on "Vicarious", "The Pot" and "Lost Keys")
Boss CE-5 (used in many songs, most obviously used in "H.", "jimmy" and "No Quarter")
Boss BF-2 (used in "Forty-Six & 2", "Pushit", "Schism", "Lateralus" and "Jambi")
Boss DD-3/6 (used in "Pushit", "Third Eye", "Schism", "Disposition", "Jambi")
Guyatone BR-2 (used in "The Pot" and "Rosetta Stoned")
Colorsound Tonebender (used in "Jambi" only, as far as I am aware)
Foxx Fuzz/Wah (used in "The Pot" live; in the studio, it was another unverified wah)

Justin also has a second, smaller board that is placed close to his amp that he uses for "Lost Keys". This board contains a second Sansamp GT-2, Guyatone VT-X Tremolo and Boss GEB-7. He places it next to his amp so he can generate the necessary feedback while turning the tremolo on and off.
[/quote]
Thanks man! This is awesome!
However, I'm pretty sure it's an Rx Overdriver, not a depth charge.

Edited by lxxwj

Regarding the Devi Ever stuff - I've tried and owned a few including the Supermassive BlackHole/Bass Fuzz, Dark Boost, VFM, Anema(spelling?), Year of the Ratt and Torn's Peaker. The Supermassive BlackHole is pretty good and the Dark Boost can be ok but more often than not I hate it.

My favourite fuzzes on bass:
Russian Big Muffs (currently own a 'tall font' Sovtek Muff)

Blackout Musket V2 in the 'hi' loop of a [SFX] X&M - gives a fantastic guitar-like distortion/fuzz but you've got all your low - just distorted attack.

W&C Pickle Pie B - now its not that this sounds the prettiest solo'd but set how I like it (volme:MAX, Fuzz:MIN, Tone: about 1 o'clock, Blend: Start at minimum (all clean)then bring in the fuzz until its loud enough.

Colorsound Jumbo Tonebender: I had a 90's RI, it had a really great midrange that made is sound so awesome on bass but unfortunately didnt have the lows.

Coloursound Bass Fuzz - Sweet, smooth and Synthy - can get the tone control up to 3 o'clock before you loose low end but the Mid Scoop is Massive and often leaves you lost in a mix,

[SFX] Micro Fuzz - Similar to the above but better made, smaller (Much,much smaller) and has an LED and can run on a power supply other than batteries (unlike the coloursound) - Max is also including a Mid Switch (possibly 3 position - as it was on my SFX Burninator) which sorts out the scoop issues nicely.

There are more like the Corvid Fuzz - which I loved, and the Fuzzrocious Green Stache and the Soniv IV Champion Fuzz which all deserve a mention.

Also Dan, whilst the MXR Bass Fuzz may be based on a tonebender, I'm not sure if it says which one (theres quite a few to choose from!)

i've always had a soft spot for muff-style fuzzes... had a USA EHX muff then the bass muff, didn't quite do it for me. then got a wren and cuff tri pie, which was close... then recently got a fuzzrocious grey stache (with a foot-switch-able gate plus germanium and LED diode clipping) and i'm done, for my ears and the basses/amp i use, it's perfect.... for a muff fuzz...

next on the quest, quite like to try an audio monk fuzz potion and get my ad yauch on yo! :)

I'm currently running a Digitech BSW on octave setting into a a Devi Ever Hyperion and onwards to my prunes&custard - a veritable wall of noise. The Hyperion gives it a nicely unpredictable break up and the p&c gives it a degree of control and cut. Sounds awesome.

For general use I love the 3XFX Buzzbomb - the photo cell gives plenty of expressive scope.

And somewhere in the Uk, I'm told, customs & excise are having lots of fun with my Devi Ever TBD! Soon come...

I think I read it was used for the wailing feedback on 'Lost Keys' but I'd have to check.

Anyone tried Devi Ever stuff on bass? I bought a Vintage Fuzz Master for guitar but it doesn't suit my delicate jazz chords.
[/quote]

I've got the Ruiner and the Spectacular Aenima - they're pretty wild. The Ruiner is too much on its own bit sounds flipping ace blended with clean. The Aenima's a bit too thin for much on bass but is the best lead guitar solo pedal I've ever heard, proper biting

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1327754192' post='1516241']
Theres two fuzzes i still want to try...

1) sovtek muff.
2) human gear animato

Not game for dropping 500 quid though...
[/quote]

A company called Fredric effects does a Russian Muff clone for £85. I use one of their harmonic percolators on guitar and love it so might be worth a punt.

[quote name='Pob' timestamp='1328001588' post='1519998']
I've got the Ruiner and the Spectacular Aenima - they're pretty wild. The Ruiner is too much on its own bit sounds flipping ace blended with clean. The Aenima's a bit too thin for much on bass but is the best lead guitar solo pedal I've ever heard, proper biting
[/quote]

Thanks, decided massive fuzz doesn't suit my playing style so the VFM is on sale on here.

I've found the perfect fuzz sound in the Bluebeard, made by Sanford and Sonny (or is it the other way round?). It's huge, lots of low end and has that creamy sound I like.
Right now I'm also waiting for a Skullytone Russian Spi and at some point I'll have my Made by Mike double clone pedal, an SFT/Bass Big Muff.
And... a friend of mine will make me a Bass Muff clone with double volume, so that one channel can be used as a boost channel.
I know that having four Muff clones is a bit overkill, but I don't like Mammoth-like fuzz.

Edited by Papalampraina

I do like the Jumbo Tonebender & Wooly Mammoth, very different to each other.... but my favourite at the moment is a Maestro Brassmaster clone I built. However next planned build is a 'Violet Rams Head' Big Muff clone with mid control, so that could be the one for me....

The Jumbo Tone Bender is great on bass -- it's very much like a muff but minus a gain stage and you do get a bit of clean bleedthrough so no bottom end loss.
Someone mentioned the Meathead? That's a good un, but the Zeke is great (clean blend).
I like the old Maestro FZ-1 though and the Tone Bender MkI.
Shin-ei FY-2 is ... interesting. So's the Super-Fuzz

Well I'm using a PSK SDS-2 that I got back in the 80's for nowt.
Mate of mine took up guitar & bought an acoustic (non electro) & wanted to know how to use this pedal on it! :facepalm:
Well he is a drummer.

The other pedal I use for fuzz/OD is the Moog Bass Murf. Does a brilliant job & you can fine tune the frequencies to get the sound you want.

I've never tried any other fuzzes out, though that may change.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1328646080' post='1530684']
Well I'm using a PSK SDS-2 that I got back in the 80's for nowt.
Mate of mine took up guitar & bought an acoustic (non electro) & wanted to know how to use this pedal on it! :facepalm:
Well he is a drummer.
[/quote]
Silly drummers. :facepalm:

I do like a bit of Fuzz and find the W&C Pickle Pie B the best IMO - it is a bit on the raucous edge though so needs a bit of fine tuning/playing with - I do like the blend on it.

The Fender Sublime I like too - has the big rotary control on top so can adjust the level of Fuzz whilst playing - comes in handy as a volume boost sometimes and gets really dirty when wound right up to max.

Have a Brown Dog too - thinking I may move this on though. :)

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1328018845' post='1520354']
A company called Fredric effects does a Russian Muff clone for £85. I use one of their harmonic percolators on guitar and love it so might be worth a punt.

[/quote]

I can vouch for these. Picked one up a month ago after a recommendation on here. I'd been searching for ages for the right fuzz and so far I'm loving it.

I think they're based on the 'tall font green russian' muff.

Either way, it sounds awesome.

I use a ProCo RAT for a nice deep and smooth fuzz. Then I have a DOD Bass Overdrive which gives a more subtle fuzz. I used to have a Marshall Govenor pedal for a bit more top end fuzz, but that pear shaped a while back and I haven't replaced it yet. I am considering a MXR Blowtorch pedal at moment.

[/quote]

Used lots of her pedals. They dont take kindly to active electronics. Best of the lot is the Hyperion. The only one currently on the board is a Ruby prototype that only gets used with the wah for a NIB tone. Other than that its fairly useless.

For my Fuzz tones I just use a Bass Blowtorch driven by a M-80's distortion channel. Works fine.

My first fuzz was a v9 russian Big Muff. Didn't like it, because it didn't cut through and I had the feeling like a blanket was in front of my speakers, blocking the sound. So I sold that one and a few months later acquired a Malekko B:assmaster. At first, i liked it, but with a band playing at the same time, it totally sucked. I couldn't hear myself at all! So I also sold that one. Then I bought a Woolly Mammoth clone, but same issue as the Malekko (although it sounded killer with guitar) 2 months back I got myself a v8 Russian big muff again, which I modded with true bypass and a mid mod. I already liked it more than the v9, but still not satisfied, so I sold it a few days ago.

Fuzz just ain't something for me, I think. Though I like fuzz a lot..

[quote name='The Walloper' timestamp='1328830010' post='1533584']
Anyone tried the WH Swollen Pickle?
[/quote]

Tried one for a solid month and couldnt get on with it. Found it next to impossible to get a mix that was usable in a band situation.
Thats mainly the reason I'm 'layering' fuzz units at the mo.