Why become a member? ×

Must see places for musicians visiting UK

phobucket

Actually, last time I was in England ('97) I spend most of my time in Liverpool. My too best friends went to LIPA. I had a good time, but that [i]was[/i] 15 years ago. All I know about Nottingham is that the sheriff is from there. Enjoying this thread though. Is the Bass Gallery where SEI basses are made? Isn't it on a street in London with a bunch of music stores?

ahh yes i forgot about sherwood forest! that is great tbf (when your 5 years old) ;) Yes the bass gallery is where sei basses are made, and nope its in Camden. Denmark street is just off oxford street (the fashion shops for the wife :P ) and has still got 5 or 6 really good music stores, 2 or 3 of which sell the odd bass :D

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1327347669' post='1509780']
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion"]http://en.wikipedia....iki/Portmeirion[/url] cause cool stuff was filme there.
[/quote]

Yes, but that's not musical is it?
"Historically or otherwise" was said in relation to specifically music related stuff.

[quote name='phobucket' timestamp='1327325864' post='1509289']
I had fish and chips in Edinburgh for the first time 15 years ago, fulfilling a boyhood dream - no really. I hope the shop is still there.
[/quote]

Was it the Rose St. Fry? The best Haggis and chips, ever. So good I had it twice in a row.. all with salt n' sauce.. the business.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1327326716' post='1509306']
the midlands in general.... Birmingham, nottingham, Derby, Leicester... All very unmusical and very boring. Oh and Liverpool, scum capital of the UK
[/quote]

!! Bit harsh, eh? No music from the Midlands? Not like that for me when I hung about The Mitre in Stourbridge, or JB's in Dudley, or even the Barrel Organ and Edwards No. 8 Bar in Brum.... It's been a few years now, but cracking times, with top people and bostin' music.

Some of the nicest, most generous people I've met have been from Liverpool... I'm not up on the music scene there, but I've heard a rumour one or two bands from the town scraped the top 100?

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1327351306' post='1509885']
!! Bit harsh, eh? No music from the Midlands? Not like that for me when I hung about The Mitre in Stourbridge, or JB's in Dudley, or even the Barrel Organ and Edwards No. 8 Bar in Brum.... It's been a few years now, but cracking times, with top people and bostin' music.

Some of the nicest, most generous people I've met have been from Liverpool... I'm not up on the music scene there, but I've heard a rumour one or two bands from the town scraped the top 100?
[/quote]

tbf to include birmingham was a bit harsh as i've never lived there so wouldn't know the little bars and venues. It just doesn't seem as musically alive as london, although it could be very underground :ph34r:

And yes Liverpool has a great amount of history in music. But, it still came across as the worst place i've ever visited. Especially in you get lost around the back streets. I've never seen so many boarded up windows on houses!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1327350375' post='1509859']
Was it the Rose St. Fry? The best Haggis and chips, ever. So good I had it twice in a row.. all with salt n' sauce.. the business.
[/quote]

I don't think so, but it sounds delicious. The place I went to was on High St between the train station and the split off at Castle Hill. On the left hand side about two blocks up if you are heading towards the castle. Take out only. They wrapped it in newspaper, and yes it was the business. Haven't been able to find brown sauce like that anywhere in the states.

When I was 10, there was a Social Studies (history) project in school where you find out a few things about one of your ancestral countries, and paint a picture of it on the wall. I learned two things that blew my mind: that soccer was really football, and that chips were French fries and were served with fried fish. Sounded delicious (the food, not the football). Finally had it a decade later and it was well worth the wait.

Re: Portmeirion - I'm happy to hear any non-music related places as well, but Portmeirion could easily fit into the music category, after all, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie filmed the Laughing Prisoner there, and together in J&W, they sang a hilarious version of Minnie the Moocher. So there's a strong music connection :)

Considering it's size relative to somewhere like Birmingham I've always been surprised just how many venues still host live music of some description in Nottingham and its suburbs. With a quick bit of web browsing you could probably find something every night of the week if you were prepared to put up with the odd open mic night and could cope with a range of styles. It's just that it hasn't produced the numbers of serious nationally and internationally known acts that other cities have.

the jazz bar in Edinburgh has great live music most nights of the week, though Wednesday's have the Mike Kearney Ka-tet who, I've heard, are mind-blowing. Mondays are also good, you'll get to see Aki tearing it up on the bass, which is annoying as he's mainly a guitar player! If you want something poppy then go to Finnegan's Wake (playing there in March, maybe catch you there ;) ), Malone's, Dropkick Murphy's or Biddy Mulligan's, all near the Grassmarket (gotta love the Irish!)
the Tron is still there and still dirt cheap :P, I think that chippy is still there but also try Pizza Paradise on south bridge, next to another famous music venue, Whistle Binkies, its free every night and you get what you pay for, sometimes its angsty teenagers on their first ever gig, sometimes its seasoned pros.

I grew up in Brum and at that time there didn't seem to be much happening. A lot of bands have come from Birmingham , and I'm told it's picked up again. If you're into heavy metal :http://www.homeofmetal.com/events/events-list/birmingham-museum-art-gallery-home-of-metal/
Other places - Cornwall, full of ancient stuff, nice scenery, Seaton Beach Cafe dose the best fish and chips, eat them at a table outside watching the sea. To get there from London you'll drive past Stone'enge (it's official the silent h has been dropped) . If you are planning on seeing a lot of castles and the like , you might think about joining English herritage, depends how long you'll be here , but you can save a bit of money that way if you're a member.

Sorry if this one's already been covered, but I always recommend the town of Glastonbury to people

It's a genuinely fascinating place, both historically and socially.

It also amuses me. It seems to be full of people who take themselves very seriously (maybe a high percentage of bass players ? :yarr: ). As a town it also proves that building an economy on selling dubious bullshine is as old as the hills. Or should that be as old as the tors?

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1327334316' post='1509479']
went once for the day... never again!
[/quote]

Ahh, you got to know Liverpool intimately in a day did you?

Totally ignore this advice and get to Liverpool if you can. It is a brilliant city with so much to see and do. Live music, great shopping, some brilliant hotels and of course the home of the world's most influential and famous band. Manchester is just a trip across the M62 and is also another great city to see... but if you can only see one I'd strongly advise Liverpool.

edit - I see the last time you were in Liverpool was a while back... the cityscape has changed dramatically, the restaurants and live music is worth coming for alone, but there really is a wealth of stuff for you to do!

Edited by risingson

I lived in Liverpool for a year (L8 - Princes Road) and it's a city with a character all of its own. I still go back quite often (most recently before Christmas for a Bellowhead gig in Birkenhead) and it's good to see that redevelopment is finally starting to happen, although it's a shame that this will probably price a lot of scousers out of housing in their home town. :(

I always seem to spend a lot of money whenever I go to Liverpool though. Lots of neat vintage shops, lots of quality boozers with interesting history, a great independent cinema and two excellent theatres creating a lot of rep productions, not to mention the art spaces, plus of course the friendly and funny locals, it's a great town I love spending time over there.