Why become a member? ×

Fender USA '62 Jazz Bass refinish at home

kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1328964131' post='1535329']
That's really interesting mate, it's great hearing how different versions do the wiring. I guess the shielding plate in the control cavity on yours must be wired directly to the earth so that the earthing is completed?

On my reissue if the earth strip wasn't in place, then the shielding plates wouldn't be attached to the earth do would just serve no purpose.

Most modern jazzes just have the earthing wire to Thr underside of the bridge plate - I've never seen the wire soldered onto the bridge plate on Amy of the vintage or modern USA Fenders I've owned (I've had at least 20 post 1990 Fender basses, and at least 10 pre 1975 ones).

Most modern reissues (apart from the USA ones) don't seem to have the metal shielding plates in place. The early 60's jazzes didn't have the shielding plates wired directly to the control plate earth, so needed the earth strip fed under the bridge to complete the circuit. If it wasn't installed, then the shielding plates end up serving no purpose.

Here's s pic from the excellent reference book - The Fender Bass, an illustrated history published by Hal Leonard. You can see the earthing strip that was on the old basses (think of Jaco's "bass of doom" for example, you can see Thr strip on there)

[/quote]
I think he meant that the shielding strip earthed the bridge and then the plates under the pickups were earthed via the holes for the pickup wires.
Easier way to do it, if you are making basses, one less hole to drill.

I love the look of that, one thing that looks odd, the size of the mute screws, they look massive! needs to be left out in the sun though to get a bit of tint to it :) oh and played lots

Yeah, I re-read my reply earlier and it could read like I was a bit snotty - wasn't my intention. Earthing Thr shielding plates through the pickup holes and attaching them to the earth of the circuit via a wire would be easier (and also far more secure than the method on mine dnd Thr old basses where you were basically relying on pressure to make the circuit! Hahaha)

I've ought another brand new stack knob Jazz Bass which I'm going to refinish in Surf Green this time. The upshot being that I've actually listed this pink bass in the "For Sale" section:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168089-shell-pink-fender-usa-62-reissue-jazz-bass-l900-delivered-in-the-uk/page__pid__1538791#entry1538791

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1329217787' post='1538846']
I've ought another brand new stack knob '62 USA reissue which I'm going to refinish in Surf Green this time. The upshot being that I've actually listed this pink bass in the "For Sale" section:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168089-shell-pink-fender-usa-62-reissue-jazz-bass-l900-delivered-in-the-uk/page__pid__1538791#entry1538791"]http://basschat.co.u...91#entry1538791[/url]
[/quote]

You now refinishing wrecked basses as sideline work? :)

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

You can get it via ebay, that's where I got mine from mate. Soak it onto a rag and it simply wipes off - like a girl removing her nail varnish!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=220785956839

Remember, it only works on nitrocellulose lacquer finishes - NOT on poly or acrylic finishes.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1372462752' post='2126204']
You can get it via ebay, that's where I got mine from mate. Soak it onto a rag and it simply wipes off - like a girl removing her

Remember, it only works on nitrocellulose lacquer finishes - NOT on poly or acrylic finishes.
[/quote]

I'm a philistine. How would I tell the finish used?
Actually, the bass has also been light sanded a bit, making it even harder to know now.

Yeah, your bass has a poly finish mate. LOTS of elbow grease and sandpaper needed to remove that. Or, you could use a heat gun and scraper, but that leaves the wood prone to scorching if you're not familiar with using a heat gun.

Edited by kevin_lindsay