Why become a member? ×

One of those 'what amp to get' posts

risingson

I'm selling my Eden WT800 and my 410XLT to a friend of mine who has expressed an interested in buying it off of me. It's been a fantastic amp, stacks of tone and level beyond reckoning, but I've decided to plump for something a bit lighter, and a bit more 'Class D'.

My budget is roughly something like £1200-1300. My main aim is to have something portable, something that sounds great, and finally within my price range. I'd perhaps consider second hand as well.

I've looked extensively into the TC Electronic RH750 paired with 2 x RS212's. I played one at a gig in Sweden recently and although I really liked how it sounded, and how intuitive it was (not to mention incredibly light), I didn't get much time to hear it as it was a huge arena and I was actually too far away from the amp for it to be hitting my ears properly. I'd love to hear of BC'ers experiences with this amp, and how it suits you in a live capacity, both with just one RS212 and with two. Also I'd like to hear how well you get on with the RH450, and whether it provides enough in the way of headroom for you live.

The other option I looked into was the Aguilar TH500, ideally paired with 2 x DB112's. This I have had no experience with whatsoever. It looks like a great setup, however, the reason I'm leaning a bit more towards the TC Electronics rig is that I really think I'd benefit from the extra monitoring from 2 x RS212's could offer me. Does the Aguilar rig kick at all??

And then finally, I'd benefit from a few suggestions from alternatives. It is my intention to take a trek down to Bass Direct when I get a chance and possibly the Gallery Camden, but I'm devoid of time right now and would like to hear of any experience you might have with the Aguilar of TC setup.

Cheers guys, any help from those with experience would be greatly appreciated! All the best, Liam :)

Make sure you try the TC stuff before buying.... It is top quality stuff but does have it's own tone and charachistics which you may love or may hate, personally I didn't enjoy.
If I were you I would try and try a Tecamp puma to try, 500 or 1000 if possible- it's the forgotten king of the class D's.

Im an Ampeg lover and always have been, but was seriously impressed with Charic's TC rig at the East Anglia BB last year. Masses of volume... Obviously totally different to an Ampeg but i liked it a lot. Some nice features on the RH like settings memory etc, tuner, tube tone blah blah... And as you say, very light.

The 750 and RS cabs are spot on for me. I really like the innovation, despite the 'wattage' issue (which isnt an issue...it does sound like a pushed tube amp but can do this clean as well). They are VERY loud. The RH450 has always been a total hammer and really seemed to push more than my LM3 that I sold.

Class gear IMO.

Aguilar cabs are great as well. Not tried the TH500 but I have the Tonehammer pedal and i like it.

The RH750 with two RS cabs (2x10 or 2x12) will seem much louder due to more speakers.

I had a TC Classic 450, and was very happy with it, and would have kept it, only the Ampeg PF500 hit our shores. The Classic did a great Ampeg impression, and in reality was a far more versatile amp, but in the end that "actual" Ampeg sound won it for me, but I`d still recommend TC gear to anyone.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327012366' post='1505359']
[size=6][sub]I’d recommend an RH750!![/sub][/size]
[/quote]

I was wondering when you'd be along to recommend it Chris!

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I think the TC rig is the one for me, I suppose I just needed a bit of assurance. It looks like a quality piece of gear, I'm looking forward to having it in the studio and out live as well.

I think the RH750 is a very promising match with RS cabs... but I can't say I have much time on them.at all
so you can quantify my comments by meaning I would look into them a bit more.

I am not entirely convinced about class D myself so offer these alternative

Thunderfunk 550B/750A.
Aguiliar DB cabs..

I run this with 2x210 and I think it is relatively mobile..you end with a 410 type config, modular and a stonking sound...IMO.

Think classic old SWR on steroids. You don't get the valvey grind ..altho it has the switch,...but Eden and SWR are hybrids anyway.

I don't miss the valve..... and I really thought I would.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1327047822' post='1505531']
I'll throw GK MB500 onto the pile. Currently using this with 2 x Aggie DB112 and it was the best of the Class D amps when I was choosing. Certainly works well with those cabs.
[/quote]

+1 to that, I`ve one of these and ity`s a great little amp. Used it with a few different cabs, all good, tho some better than others - for what I want of course.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1327056534' post='1505675']
Have to say it though.

Depends how many real watts you want.......

Also I think the TC heads go down to 2.6 ohms which can be useful (IIRC)
[/quote]

The real watts part doesn't bother me. I read the thread concerning all the hoo-ha about the TC gear not publishing the correct RMS ratings and wondered what all the fuss was about. It's just not the reason I buy gear, I'll buy an amp if I'm happy with it and I can get good amounts of level from it live, which I know you can with the RH750.

[b]I’ve owned the RH450, and now I have the 750. I’ve noticed a lot of players who have commented on the wattage fiasco, and most of them haven’t played it.[/b]

[b]If you notice before this came out in Bass Magazine Test (in my opinion, this isn’t scientific enough at all; you cannot test an amps gigging volume in such a way without taking everything into account) EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE said the RH450 was a hammer when it came to volume. [/b]

[b]A lot of people said ‘its 50W less than a Markbass’. Even I said that. Bear in mind that the LM3 hits its maximum at around 400W…but is that really correct? How do we know that’s the actual 100% output, without an ‘average’ being made from various test sites.[/b]

[b]I bought the RH450 for its superb quality, its amazingly useful features (none of them are pointless like some amps)and the fact it sounded so good. It also helps that it looks like a modern piece of technology. I appreciate design as much as I do sound. [/b]

[b]TC have been in the industry for a long time. They have a proven track record of breaking barriers and innovation. Just look at the recent Toneprint pedals and the Polytune. They are one step ahead of the market. To me, they are the Apple of the guitar/bass/vocal/recording/effects world.[/b]

[b]So, when I compared the RH450 with other amps, taking into account the gain and master volume taper, I noticed it seemed louder than both the Markbass LM3 and the Shuttle 9.0. [/b]

[b]The Shuttle is a great amp, now I understand it properly and the fact it is aimed at a different tone. The LM3 is also a great amp, but if you compare the RH450 to the LM3, you will notice the limiter is where things become interesting. The LM3 clamps down quite quickly, and will clip in an unpleasant way. It reaches its full volume at about 12/1 on the master volume.[/b]

[b]The RH450/750 and new Genz amps (sorry not tried the Aguilar TH500, but I know from reviews that Aguilar are also fantastic at providing a good volume!) have very clever limiting built in.[/b]

[b]The RH amps have the APM. So, yes, if we look at it, TC have a rated 750W ish power module which they have limited with the APM, and allowed the amp to be pushed at a lower wattage, (thus lower heat) and applied a form of compression to even out the results. To me, the RH750 sounds as crisp or as vintage as you want, but it still has some of the signature RH amp tone. But that’s true of all amps, to some extent.[/b]

[b]I don’t know how the APM works exactly, but I for one think they nailed it. I’ve been happy with my TC gear for two years, and the cabs have also impressed me. There isnt another cabinet at those price points that match the weight/tone and excellent crossover/tweeter. They are small, light (for ceramic) and have a great tone. I haven’t found a bad matchup yet with the cabs and different amps. They do have a low mid bump, as do the RH amps, which is exactly where my tone goals sit. Not overly pillowly, more like a punchy tight bass tone. I did almost sell a cab to get a Markbass cabinet, but I realied I was probably gaining very little and paying a lot more! I also like the fact the cabinets are well built. I have looked at mine and peered through the ports and everything is clean and well made. No sloppy workmanship, which is common even on very expensive boutique cabs. The only problem is they are a little bit fragile when it comes to the finish, but use covers! The grille and wood itself are solid. [/b]

Cheers for the useful info Musicman20, I know you like to champion the TC gear! Like I say, the whole thing doesn't bother me and I'm not interested in the facts and figures, just the end result. I'm in no doubt that the amp will be sufficient for my needs so I think I've made up my mind. Just deciding which cabs to get now, I fancy the RS212's x 2 or maybe just the one paired up with the RS112 so I can utilise the acoustic tilt for monitoring purposes. Exciting :)

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1327004852' post='1505181']
Im an Ampeg lover and always have been, but was seriously impressed with Charic's TC rig at the East Anglia BB last year. Masses of volume... Obviously totally different to an Ampeg but i liked it a lot. Some nice features on the RH like settings memory etc, tuner, tube tone blah blah... And as you say, very light.
[/quote]

Got two cabs now... it's a fair bit different :P

No problems, Im not endorsed or receiving anything from TC haha. I'm just interested and enjoying their gear.

The cabs setup is a tough one. Two RS212s will knock down walls. Very thick, low mid kick tone and that cabinet due to its size/spec does provide more low end than the RS210. The RS112 is a cute little cab; I don't own one as I had to stop buying cabs, but Ive seen a fair few players mix the RS212 with the RS112.

One thing I have learnt is that for a standalone cabinet, the RS210 covers quite a lot. An RS212 covers even more, but it is deeper and heavier. Not ridiculously heavy though. I don't know how they got the weight down, but they are quite easy to move.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327067982' post='1505977']
One thing I have learnt is that for a standalone cabinet, the RS210 covers quite a lot. An RS212 covers even more, but it is deeper and heavier. Not ridiculously heavy though. I don't know how they got the weight down, but they are quite easy to move.
[/quote]

I don't think anything could be as heavy as my Eden 410XLT. Nearly 100lbs it is. The RS212 is just over half of that, which will make things a hell of a lot easier for me!