Why become a member? ×

Ashdown LB30 head with 112 or 212 cab?

basskit_case

I doubt your amp pushes out below 4ohm..so you can't use both at that impedance, if that is the case.

I don't know the head at all.... but 2 speakers will be far better than one so just the upgrade on cab alone should see a good improvement..plus you are driving the 4 ohm cab and the amp will go louder at that impedance than at 8ohms.

If you like the 212, then you'll have the 112 to sell to offset the buy-in

Thanks for the responses, cab bought.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1326968599' post='1504343']
Using 4Ω and 8Ω cabs at the same time gives you roughly 2.7Ω which is probably way below what the amp can handle.
[/quote]

Considering the above, I think JTUK's idea makes sense.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326967165' post='1504307']
[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326967165' post='1504307']
I doubt your amp pushes out below 4ohm..so you can't use both at that impedance, if that is the case.

I don't know the head at all.... but 2 speakers will be far better than one so just the upgrade on cab alone should see a good improvement..plus you are driving the 4 ohm cab and the amp will go louder at that impedance than at 8ohms.

[/quote]

The LB30 has a valve power section and so has different taps on the output transformer. The result is the same power at either 4 or 8 ohms...

It'll still be louder with an additional speaker though. :)

I have the same setup and asked the very same question on another post. I also thought of buying a 2x12, but i wanted more headroom in a gigging situation. I took my LB30 to practice and plugged it in to a Hartke 4.5xl at 8ohms, cranked right up and using the active setting on my Kubicki pushing though the passive input and I still struggled to hear it over our band and I didn't see the needle drop out the red!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1327159150' post='1507200']
If you want to try it with a 2x12 before you commit, drop me a PM and we'll work something out.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for your kind offer Pete, but my 212 turned up on the Friday and I have been annoying the neighbours ever since, need to get the 112 listed in the for sale section.

Thanks

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1327354025' post='1509955']
Thanks very much for your kind offer Pete, but my 212 turned up on the Friday and I have been annoying the neighbours ever since, need to get the 112 listed in the for sale section.

Thanks
[/quote]

Get in touch with tomhunt

he was after my 112 :)

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1327568014' post='1513342']
My 112, is in as new condition, with hanging tag and original packaging, anybody got an idea on price for it, there is only one sale thread for a 112 on Basschat and that had a price of £190, cannot see any on ebay.
[/quote]

Ah, the eternal question.... "how much is it worth?"!

The cab that replaced the LB112, the VS112, seems to sell for £229, so I think £190 was a touch optimistic....

The LB cabs were made in limited numbers to go with the UK-made LB heads, so I guess they are quite rare. I'd love to have one, but it would need to be the 4 ohm version (which to be honest I thought all the UK LB cabs were?), and given how slow the market is at the moment now may not be the time to sell.

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1327575029' post='1513486']
I was under the impression that the LB112 was 8 ohm, and the LB212 was 4 ohm. I believe the VS equivalents are all 8 ohm.
[/quote]
[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1327575064' post='1513487']
The 212 is 4 ohm and the 112 is 8 ohm.
[/quote]

Well, I stand corrected then! :)

Forgot to say that I emailed Ashdown on this matter and got the following response.

Cheers

[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]
[quote]
[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]Your LB head has an 8 ohm speaker output which you should be using with your 112 cab..[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]
[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]You can use the LB112 AND 212 cabs together, but, you will need to remove the 112 from the 8 ohm output and[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]
[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]connect one of the cabs into the 4 OHM output then link that cab to the second one.. Do not use the 8 Ohm output..[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]
[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]You rig will not give any more power out of the head but will sound mite louder because you will be driving more air[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]
[color=#454545][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"]with two cabs.[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/left][/quote][/size][/font][/color][/left]

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,
sorry to revive an "oldish" thread, but was wondering if any of you can help?
Have any of you tried the newer Ashdown 1x12 cabs, the VS-112's?
Particularly running a pair of them?

I'm looking to get a 2 x 1x12 rig later this year and these little cabs have got my attention, for two reasons, I'm quite keen to buy an Ashdown setup if I can find what works for me, will probably end up with a MiBass head, but the price on these lil' pups is almost too good to be true...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1334679210' post='1619652']
I'd imagine there's little difference between the LB112 and the VS112. I'd say go for it!
[/quote]

I know they're heavier, I guess as they've got ceramic drivers instead of the LB neo jobbies.
Reckon they'll fairly versatile? I like a fairly clean full, lots of low mids, and a little bit modern sound. I know most of that will come from the head, but do you think the cabs will be able to deliver that kind of tone?

Eude