Why become a member? ×

Ashdown LB30 head with 112 or 212 cab?

basskit_case

I have a LB212 a really great cab, It sounds fantastic, light and beautifully made (in uk) it has great lows and good mids / highs even though its got no tweater. It is also very sensitive so its loud, great dispersion. It also is very clean, it handles rated power nicely. The VS series, I was told are identical except the vs is chinese made (still fantastic build quality) and has custom made ceramic drivers rather than the uk made neos, bit heavier but still a great cab, 112 are also great cabs. There are quite a quite a few lb112 still around, you can pick them up at the same price as a vs equivalent which is a steal, considering the price of the drivers in them. In hindsight I would have gone for two VS/ LB112, as it gives me more options for rehearsals etc. But I am happy with the LB212 its seriously all you ever need for most gigs, it has a great on stage dispersion, and sounds fantastic from any angle, happy bunny here. I am using my Di'ed LB30 and 212 for most stuff I am doing, ( we are all miced / di ed even the drummer, I cant be arsed with stupid on stage vol) . But I have got some big shows lined up in the summer, so have got a CTM300 and CL610 on order, cant wait. LB30 CTM300 are seriously ground breaking amps (these are the work of Dave Green, the ex Matamp designer) the VS LB and CL cabs are also fantastic, they need to be to keep up with these amps. I also like the MIbass def, the best lightweight amp around at the moment, esp if you use it with an optical valve squasher like a EHX Blackfinger, blows all other lighweight stuff into the weeds.

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1334700508' post='1620119']
I have a LB212 a really great cab, It sounds fantastic, light and beautifully made (in uk) it has great lows and good mids / highs even though its got no tweater. It is also very sensitive so its loud, great dispersion. It also is very clean, it handles rated power nicely. The VS series, I was told are identical except the vs is chinese made (still fantastic build quality) and has custom made ceramic drivers rather than the uk made neos, bit heavier but still a great cab, 112 are also great cabs. There are quite a quite a few lb112 still around, you can pick them up at the same price as a vs equivalent which is a steal, considering the price of the drivers in them. In hindsight I would have gone for two VS/ LB112, as it gives me more options for rehearsals etc. But I am happy with the LB212 its seriously all you ever need for most gigs, it has a great on stage dispersion, and sounds fantastic from any angle, happy bunny here. I am using my Di'ed LB30 and 212 for most stuff I am doing, ( we are all miced / di ed even the drummer, I cant be arsed with stupid on stage vol) . But I have got some big shows lined up in the summer, so have got a CTM300 and CL610 on order, cant wait. LB30 CTM300 are seriously ground breaking amps (these are the work of Dave Green, the ex Matamp designer) the VS LB and CL cabs are also fantastic, they need to be to keep up with these amps. I also like the MIbass def, the best lightweight amp around at the moment, esp if you use it with an optical valve squasher like a EHX Blackfinger, blows all other lighweight stuff into the weeds.
[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the input dude, and you Walbassist.
I've had a dig around online and found a few LB-212 cabs still on the go, and the LB-112 ones too, however the VS-112 cabs are £123 over on Thomann!
At that price I could get a 2 x VS 1x12 setup with a 500W ABM head, a 550 Spyder or the MiBass 550 for a little over £600, or maybe even just got for the 330 Spyder and spend the rest on liquor and black jack!

I am tempted to hang fire till the MiBass cabs come out though, especially if I end up going for the MiBass head. I had an email conversation with Lee for Ashdown who said the cabs will be very keenly priced.

Dan, what's the flat tone like from the MiBass head, my previous tonal nirvana was a MarkBass LittleMark 250 head run flat, for reference.

So now I'm thinking, either a more classic sounding rig with VS 1x12 Cabs and probably a Dual Tube Series Head, or...
a more modern sounding rig, with MiBass 1x12 Cabs and the MiBass 550 Head.
Shame I can't afford both.

Watch this space...

Eude

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1334738673' post='1620359']
Two Vs-112s is a great little setup, I am a big fan of paired 1x12s as they are so versatile. The only concern I have with the VS/LB112 is that the power handling is pretty low, so I wouldn't want to put a Spyder/ABM/MiBass 550 through a pair.
[/quote]

I'm sure it would be fine if you're careful with the volume control and keep you ears open for any signs of distress.
Perhaps the Spyder 330 would be a better match for the VS-122 cabs then...

Eude

• 2 months later...