Why become a member? ×

I think I bought the wrong bass?

Drummer

[quote name='Drummer' timestamp='1326988873' post='1504803']
Wow thanks a lot guys! :)
The only thing I KIND of dislike about my bass is the Sunburst finish.. Not A HUGE fan, Still nice but It's not really my thing.
[/quote]

Good here init :D

Oh and one day you'll thank your dad and post on here saying how much you miss your first bass ;)

A

The only thing I KIND of dislike about my bass is the Sunburst finish.. Not A HUGE fan, Still nice but It's not really my thing.
[/quote]

Sunburst is the work of devil, every sunburst bass I've ever had has been stripped down and re-painted.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327000463' post='1505084']
Sunburst is the work of devil, every sunburst bass I've ever had has been stripped down and re-painted.
[/quote]

Good on you Wayne, I knew you wouldn`t let us down!!

Stick with the Jazz, most people on here have 1 or 2 kicking about and there is a good reason for that. There are too may variables on you tube vids, amp type and settings, pedals and more importantly the players ability or lack of :happy:

Jez

[/quote]

yep...tort it up with a decent scratch plate and be ahead of your mates in the 'cool stakes. To many people, sunburst and tort is THE Fender finish.

And when the time is right to move it on..it will probably still be the desirable entry level bass to have..so retains its price/standing better.

I'd agree your dad did you a favour...nice one, dad.
Your mates need educating... :lol: :lol:

just my 2p

Actually Sunburst and Natural are the best finishes to get because you can see he piece of wood you're getting... My dad had a white 70s Fender US Strat that he wanted stripped back a few years ago as he preferred a natural finish. The tech phoned him up and said you'd better come down. We went and looked at the stripped body it was made up of five pieces of wood, grains going in all directions and at one point there was a huge knot in the wood which had been cut out and replaced with what looked like a piece of broom handle! It was a great guitar, he picked it out of 16 in the shop when he bought it, but it was a solid colour finish for a reason!!

Even if you get a sunburst/natural and refinish it later you'll know that you're getting a decent piece of timber :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1327058684' post='1505738']
Actually Sunburst and Natural are the best finishes to get because you can see he piece of wood you're getting... My dad had a white 70s Fender US Strat that he wanted stripped back a few years ago as he preferred a natural finish. The tech phoned him up and said you'd better come down. We went and looked at the stripped body it was made up of five pieces of wood, grains going in all directions and at one point there was a huge knot in the wood which had been cut out and replaced with what looked like a piece of broom handle! It was a great guitar, he picked it out of 16 in the shop when he bought it, but it was a solid colour finish for a reason!!

Even if you get a sunburst/natural and refinish it later you'll know that you're getting a decent piece of timber :)
[/quote]

Unless it's photo sunburst.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I can't get the sound that I hear on my favourite records and I've been trying for decades. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The sound of a bass can be significantly altered by the process of recording. The facilities available in a studio and even on a PC usually outperform the poor old EQ we have on basses and amps. Also the size and shape of a venue will always have more influence on your sound than your gear.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][/font][/color] [/size]
[size=4][font=Arial][color="#000000"]You also need to know….3 tone sunburst [b]IS[/b] rock and roll. [/color][/font][/size]
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326967520' post='1504316']
Stick with the Jazz..... and dream on about the hot chick bass player.

Learn about EQ'ing a bass and you'll get more than close to that sound, IMO.
[/quote]

+1

Never heard of Laguna. The tone is all in your fingers... The Squier J is a great bass to start on.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1327063937' post='1505883']
To add to this, you now have what's generally regarded as being one of the best starter basses around so as far as gear is concerned, you're sorted. Now the fun stuff starts - begin learning, practice, have a laugh and enjoy your bass and your bass playing!
[/quote]

This.

Far too many people talk about playing. I play for about an hour a day. Happy as larry with what I can do and the sound I make, I just need to fix my damn bass!

I'm guessing you're new to all this? Now is not the time to be getting hung up on the nuances of whether your Squier jazz bass sounds like the bass in the video with it's MM position humbucker. Get playing it and enjoy it! There is much time to faff about with tone in the future, when you are more sure of what you're after.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1327119040' post='1506707']
I'm guessing you're new to all this? Now is not the time to be getting hung up on the nuances of whether your Squier jazz bass sounds like the bass in the video with it's MM position humbucker. Get playing it and enjoy it! There is much time to faff about with tone in the future, when you are more sure of what you're after.
[/quote]

Yep, you have years and years ahead of you in which to waste lots of money trying to find your perfect tone :P haha. For now just enjoy playing :D