Why become a member? ×

overdrive / distortion

LukeJackson

another recommendation for the James LoMenzo pedal. It's got a really flexible distortion/EQ control, so you can vary the frequency at which the drive kicks in. The blend control is a great feature too.

That's not to say that the B3K isn't a great piece of kit (it's fecking brilliant), but not everyone's budget will stretch that far.

Yeh if you want to keep your highs clean I think the J Lo pedal would be perfect as I read it just distorts the mids. I've not tried one but would love a go.

If you want a pedal which enhances your highs, maybe something like a Tubo Rat which does a very good clanky tone on low gain settings.

• 3 weeks later...

When I first started playing bass I had a great distortion pedal, but it went in a part exchange deal. Over the last few years I've kept a 1/2 hearted look out for one. Then in 2010 I saw our own [b]Joegarcia[/b]'s band, ANTA, play. I then bought the album and listed to it everyday for about 6 months (I still play it at least once a week). In one part of the a song there was an amazing distorted tone. So I messaged him and he told me it was the same model pedal I had years ago. Since then I have checked ebay every couple of weeks. Then last week I found one and bought it. It arrived today in it's original box and is in mint condition (I probably paid more than the original price)

The EQ is great for keeping low end (it'll be run in a loop and blended with a dry signal), my search for a distortion pedals over!
I can't wait for this week's practice!!

• 4 months later...

+1 on the BB Pre Amp. Great wee unit.
The boss is a bit fizzy. I used one in conjunction with a pre type pedal to add some oomph but since retired it. I've PM'd you about the Fender Sublime as an OD option and the Mad Professor BBBOD.

There is a heap of choice and until you hear one in the wild and with a band it's hard to make the call. Some pedals can sound poor solo'd but just really work in a band and vice versa. The good thing about BC is that people will genuinely and steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!

I use a Sansamp followed by a Marshall Jackhammer. Jackhammer does not have a blend but amazingly it still sounds good from low gain (which I currently use) all the way up to heavily dirtorted trebley nastiness! The 2 and EQ and adjustable mid contour/scoop thingy are very useful and versatile too. Plus they're well priced used... I got mine free off a guitarist who thought it sucked (it kind of does on guitar!)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341542170' post='1720765']
I use a Sansamp followed by a Marshall Jackhammer. Jackhammer does not have a blend but amazingly it still sounds good from low gain (which I currently use) all the way up to heavily dirtorted trebley nastiness! The 2 and EQ and adjustable mid contour/scoop thingy are very useful and versatile too. Plus they're well priced used... I got mine free off a guitarist who thought it sucked (it kind of does on guitar!)
[/quote]

Our keyboard player uses a Jackhammer for a Jon Lord-style, overdriven Hammond sound. It sounds amazing. Otherwise I would pinch it off him for myself.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1342011910' post='1727996']
Our keyboard player uses a Jackhammer for a Jon Lord-style, overdriven Hammond sound. It sounds amazing. Otherwise I would pinch it off him for myself.
[/quote]

Never heard one on keys but I bet it does just the trick! The pedals go pretty cheaply used, I got mine free! But you should expect to pay £20 - £30 for one normally ;)

Edited by chrismuzz