Why become a member? ×

Probably silly question from fretless newbie

Silvia Bluejay

If I understand correctly - from comparing with a fretted bass - the side dots on a fretless indicate exactly where to press your fingertip in order to obtain the corresponding note. That's as opposed to the dots on a fretted which are bang in the middle of the relevant fret.

The two dots that indicate the octave appear to (more or less) be in the same place on both basses, and I need to press my fingertip between them in order to obtain the note.

If the above is correct, then it appears I'm at least partly wrong in blaming myself for not getting the right intonation while playing. If I use a chromatic tuner and play each note correctly as marked, it reveals that nearly every note marked, on almost all strings, is sharp - in some cases waay too sharp, despite the open strings having been tuned to perfection. So my musical ear hasn't suddenly abandoned me, after all.

My question - can I do what I would do on a fretted bass, and set the strings up correctly via the springs at the bridge? Or is there some trick I'm missing?

Incidentally, since this is a new bass, it's probably advisable for me to wait a few weeks or so until it has 'acclimatised' to the UK and my neck of the woods and my flat. But I'm asking you infinitely helpful and patient folks in advance :)

Thank you, as always.

Edited by bluejay

There's a whole load of variables here.

Firstly don't assume that the dot markers on an unlined fretless are going to be where the frets should be - I own one that has them in the place where they would be if the bass had frets. The easiest way to check this is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret marker. On a 34" scale bass this should be 17" - if it's not then the markers are in the in between positions.

Secondly the witness point of the string on a fretless is where the string emerges from under your fingertip so usually you need to play just behind the marker point to get the correct pitch.

From you say it sounds as though the position markers are in the correct place but because you are using them as the middle point for you finger position then all your notes will be sharp to one degree or another.

Ultimately you have to treat the markers a rough guides only and use your ears to guide you to the correct pitch.

The reason why I said that the dots indicate the notes is because I put my fretted and my fretless 5-stringers side by side and looked at the dots on each. The fretless has dots where the fretted has the actual bit of metal. So yes, probably silly of me not to think that I should press a little behind each dot, as you can't help doing when the actual fret is there.

But you're right, it's best to just get the hang of it by ear - after all, I'm taming the upright, therefore I shouldn't allow a humble fretless to have the better on me :D

I know what your talking about bluejay. I intonate so the note is ON the dots so you should finger just behind the dots.

See here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159580-how-do-you-intonate-your-fretless/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159580-how-do-you-intonate-your-fretless/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

A

It's also possible that the intonation isn't set quite correctly on the bridge of your bass, usually the bridge saddles on fretless basses seem to end up a bit further away from the neck (making the string a bit longer) compared their positions on fretted basses.

Play the harmonic on the 12th fret and then play the note on the fingerboard in the place you'd expect to find it, if the fretted note is much sharper than the harmonic you may want to move the bridge saddle back a bit. Similarly compare the harmonic to the note at the 24th fret.

I found my intonation was really awful as I played higher up the neck on one of my basses no matter how hard I tried, I adjusted the bridge and it made a huge difference. Now my intonation is just pretty awful ;)

Edited by Fat Rich

Remember that a fretted instrument uses equal temperament, to establish the positions of the frets, but this can never be perfect at all positions. You can use the side dots for general guidance on a fretless instrument, but don't get hung up on these positions being perfectly pitched. Trust your ear, which, from what you say, was how you noticed this issue.

The one I have appears to need a bit of adjusting at the bridge saddles too, but I'll wait a while.

I also like to lower the G string so that it's closer - within limits, of course - to the fingerboard than the other strings, as I find it easier to play like that. That's something I'll do in a few weeks' time as well.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326564580' post='1498968']
........... it should mostly be a matter of practicing on the fretless until I sound acceptable :D
[/quote]

Maybe I was lucky, but I took to fretless almost instantly - had to do a bit of work on intonation, especially up at the dusty end, but got the instrument on Tuesday & played a gig with it (only instrument) on the Saturday.

The only tip I can offer is that I found I played open strings more frequently rather than fretting(!)/fingering the note on a lower string, as this gave my ear a reference point for intonation. I did this less as my confidence grew, but still did it occasionally.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1326623039' post='1499533']
The only tip I can offer is that I found I played open strings more frequently rather than fretting(!)/fingering the note on a lower string, as this gave my ear a reference point for intonation. I did this less as my confidence grew, but still did it occasionally.

G.
[/quote]

That's what you tend to do on upright/double bass, so I'm familiar with the trick :happy: . But It's far less necessary on the fretless after a bit of practice.