Why become a member? ×

Even in the darkest moments...

niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='168243' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:07 AM']I’ve been feeling really gloomy lately about the band and the future of live music in general :) . You know the stuff - dwindling audiences and fewer gigs etc.,[/quote]
...and I mean this as nicely as possible, but I'm glad its not just me :huh: Boy I've had some black moods recently (though Sunday was a small shining light even if I did get nothing in the raffle!!) Never thought I'd say it but I find myself wondering quite why I bother sometimes, and I [i]NEVER [/i]thought I would ever be saying that. Perhaps I too need to find something new???

[i][url="http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/features/elvis.php"]Elvis had a great voice, a great band and a vast repertoire that included some real gems and rather too much shameful guff. He once visited Prestwick and he died on the toilet. Happy digging.[/url][/i]

[quote name='WalMan' post='168736' date='Apr 2 2008, 08:43 PM']...and I mean this as nicely as possible, but I'm glad its not just me :) Boy I've had some black moods recently (though Sunday was a small shining light even if I did get nothing in the raffle!!) Never thought I'd say it but I find myself wondering quite why I bother sometimes, and I [i]NEVER [/i]thought I would ever be saying that. Perhaps I too need to find something new???[/quote]

Get your hands of a copy of 'How to be Idle' by Tom Hodgkingson. As a person who suffers from moods this book is a shining light of excellent liturature. It has taught me to live life totally differently, and I have never had a proper 'mood' since me first reading it and I've read it 6, 7 times now. At the tender age of 19, I'm glad I found this book so early in my life. Cannot rate it highly enough.

Thanks Jon, you're a true gent :)

[quote name='BeLow' post='168791' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:28 PM']Homer - go for it - glad you are having fun.

I am playing with a load of guys who are about 5 years older than me. I grew up on the cusp of punk rock, for years the old music that preceeded punk sounded rather jaded to me, there is quite a sharp divide between pre - post 1976 as far as I was concerned.

When we started playing covers I used to inwardly groan (not another Stones/Eagles number, not Sweet Home Alabama again please no etc.) but as I have got on with it I have found I like some material more and more. Like 'I need your love so bad' has made think about playing slowly and with a bit more feeling - less is more and all that.

Even more fun, we have dabled with a bit of modern stuff like Kaiser Chiefs, Zutons, Travis, Stereophonics and having a ball playing that too even though I was probably a bit dismissive of it a year or two back.

If you like what you are doing the audience will probably appreciate that more than whether you were able to slip in an augmented 13th chord, fretless bass solo, or a jolly clever sound on you multi effects unit.

For those who do not know Homer he goes back a long way on this forum and in my rating a top bloke, if he is enjoying his music after a dry spell that's good enough for me.[/quote]

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='168541' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:37 PM']I've never understood why people feel the need to ram their musical opinions down other peoples throats and then trash everything else ad nauseum. It's a waste of time. Nor do I understand why people feel the need to talk in derisory terms about old people and their musical tastes (not just in this thread bilbo but it goes on a lot these days on this forum).

I'd just like to say to those people, the ones who rubbish Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Elvis etc etc, if you're lucky, you'll all be old one day and you'll probably grow old listening to the music you listen to now and then you'll have to suffer the jibes and ill-informed comments of all those little oiks who think they know better.

It's a shame to have to wait so long to realise you're opinion is no more valid than anybody elses.

OK - I'll shut up now and eat my lard sandwiches.[/quote]
+1

It's difficult for anyone to assess the impact of an artist 10, 20 or even 50 years later, but when Elvis arrived out of nowhere in the mid 50's, he had the single biggest impact on popular culture in general and on other musicians than anyone else has had -before or since. The fact that we're still talking about him now is testament to that.. Personally, I've always been a fan of his voice but each to their own I suppose. For those that want to know how good he was, check out his album of gospel songs... Sublime!

Anyway, it sounds like a great project to do Homer! Enjoy it - especially as it's the perfect musical setting for your P bass.....

[quote name='E_MaN' post='168797' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:40 PM']Get your hands of a copy of 'How to be Idle' by Tom Hodgkingson. As a person who suffers from moods this book is a shining light of excellent liturature. It has taught me to live life totally differently, and I have never had a proper 'mood' since me first reading it and I've read it 6, 7 times now. At the tender age of 19, I'm glad I found this book so early in my life. Cannot rate it highly enough.[/quote]
Cheers, I shall have to have a look for that. Reading it again I should just add that my "why do I bother" comment was more playing/gigging rather than life in general.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='168444' date='Apr 2 2008, 02:26 PM']Have you got an Elvis towel? Or one of those Elvis plates that get sold on the back of tv papers? Fantastic (not)![/quote]

I was trying to find a pic or link to the "Elvis Dambusters Memorial Clock of Tutankhamun" that Viz used to sell, but couldn't.

Was nearly a good joke! :)

I'm having great fun listening to this:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Shook-Up-Reggae-Tribute/dp/B000BJRJQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1207288067&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Shook-Up-Regga...8067&sr=8-1[/url]

"All Shook Up - A Reggae Tribute to the King"

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='168243' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:07 AM']Last night we had our first rehearsal (sans drummer of course – she was away) and we had a fantastic time just with guitar, bass and vocals. We really got an authentic sound – me on my P with flats and the guitarist with a battered old Tele into an old reverby combo and the singer who does a brilliant Elvis voice. Drums & percussion were provided by tapping on tables, slapping strings and stamping feet.[/quote]

Nice one. Did you do "Blossom Arsehole" ?

I'm a big fan of the Swedish Elvis, Eilert Pilarm. So bad it's brilliant.

[quote name='finnbass' post='169775' date='Apr 4 2008, 01:33 PM']Huge Hands, I hope they're all in cardboard-backed, acid-free bags like mine :huh:
Not that I'm anally retentive or anything ....[/quote]

Umm, nope, all in a box covered in spider sh*t!

They are the only relic I have from my student days, it's the crate of them that we kept next to the bog!

Looks like you have yourself a "limited edition" clock there, they're not selling them any more :)

Not that I'd be allowed to hang one up in the house anyway - the perils of married life!

Thanks homer,made me smile :) I grew up with elvis as my mum was a big fan. To honest I'm not a big fan but love some of his
stuff, 'In the ghetto' is a masterpiece and there can't be who changed the musical world as much as him. There are some funky basslines as well.