Why become a member? ×

JUST GIGGED MY EUB FOR THE FIRST TIME

artisan

what can i say,up until friday evening i had never even held a double bass of any kind let alone played one,but after only a max' of 6 hours practice i took it along to my gig last night & wow !
our band do quite a few old 50's rock 'n' roll tunes,which i usually play on my musicman but last night i used my cheapo stagg & i am totally amazed at the difference,every member of the band loved it to bits,the audience seemed to be pretty impressed with it too,especially my wee inpromptu solo in "stray cat strut".
i have to say it was one of the most enjoyable gigs i have ever played & even though i have a lot to learn on the upright i just felt "connected" to it,almost as if it is an extension of me,love it.
it made my BG sound positively weedy on the songs i used that on too.

There is something in the DB that gets you totally hooked as soon as you play your first notes on it.

Part of that may be thanks to us already being familiar with bass playing when we approach a DB - as opposed to absolute beginners when we start on the electric for the very first time - and therefore finding it easier than we thought. But there's got to be something else... the awesome sound, the need for your musical ear to be at its most sensitive, the opportunity to become lost in your world while you strive to keep the best intonation... and more.

Well done both of you guys for gigging with your uprights.

I giged with the DB after a few weeks of ownership. In some ways you can get away with much more and it just looks and sounds better than a BG. On the other hand it is all to easy to lose intonation, especially if you are playing quickly in tricky keys.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1326275446' post='1494674']
I giged with the DB after a few weeks of ownership. In some ways you can get away with much more and it just looks and sounds better than a BG. On the other hand it is all to easy to lose intonation, [b][i]especially if you are playing quickly in tricky keys.[/i][/b]
[/quote]

Nobody told me I had to do that.

Edited by bassace

i did have a few minor intonation issues but i was the only one who noticed them anyway :)
what i really enjoyed the most is not having to play a flurry of notes to fill in the rythm while my bro' was soloing as the DB has so much presence that just one or two notes easily filled the sound out.
i think i'm hooked,i've already been looking at good quality EUB's----here comes the GAS

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1326283185' post='1494831']
i think i'm hooked,i've already been looking at good quality EUB's----here comes the GAS
[/quote]

Slowbluesline has a rather lovely Bespoke EUB in the for sale forum for a very good price.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1326286308' post='1494895']
I'd skip the EUB and go straight for the doghouse if you can :)
[/quote]
i must admit i'd love one as my brother wants us to do a rockabilly stlye band, sort of Imelda May (but not as good) so it would be perfect but alas i don't really have the room in my little house + i'm reliant on my brother for lifts to gigs/rehersals.
[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1326289077' post='1494940']
Slowbluesline has a rather lovely Bespoke EUB in the for sale forum for a very good price.
[/quote]
thanks for the tip,but i have to say i'm not keen on the look of it but i'm shure its a mega bass.

i was browsing at the BSX bass website & really like the look of both the Allegro or the Half Note but there again can't afford one of those.
http://www.bsxbass.com/products.html

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1326296265' post='1495077']
.......but alas i don't really have the room in my little house + i'm reliant on my brother for lifts to gigs/rehersals.
[/quote]

none of that matters at all, get one anyway :)

I also gigged friday and sat night with a double bass for the first time, we do 50s rock and roll and the db just gave the whole band the right feel. My bass is a cheap £200 second hand bass and i stuck a £25 j tone pickup on it (off ebay). It sounds ok until i can upgrade. I can get the bass into a fiat punto with a small cab and markbass amp so dont be put off by the size. My fingers were getting cramp on the 2nd night but the 2nd set ran to 1hour 20 mins. Most enjoyable gigs ive done, it just feels right. get one

Now that I've finally got a working pickup, I'll be taking my DB (as opposed to my EUB) to a gig for the first time on Saturday. I'm really rather excited.

The singer [i]will[/i] have to sit crunched up in the back of the car with a couple of toms on his knee and the drummer [i]will[/i] have the scroll poking him in the right ear, but it's only a 90 minute drive and it wall all be worth it.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1326296265' post='1495077']
i must admit i'd love one as my brother wants us to do a rockabilly stlye band, sort of Imelda May (but not as good) so it would be perfect but alas i don't really have the room in my little house + i'm reliant on my brother for lifts to gigs/rehersals.

[/quote]

I live in a one bedroom flat on the third floor. Four years ago I didn't buy a DB and went down the EUB route for precisely those reasons. Now I've got round to getting a DB, I realise that I should just have manned up and bought a bloody DB in the first place.... The EUB is very handy for those tiny club stages though.

Buy a DB. It is the way.

ok you buggers,i might have to nip into gear4music just to have a look / go on one & see how massive it actually is,then of course once i have talked myself into it i'll have to flog my G&L.
i'm still not shure about the transport thing though as my bro's vectra estate has to fit my gear + his gear,including his two Gretsch guitars so i don't think it'll go.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1326446155' post='1497217']
ok you buggers,i might have to nip into gear4music just to have a look / go on one & see how massive it actually is,then of course once i have talked myself into it i'll have to flog my G&L.
i'm still not shure about the transport thing though as my bro's vectra estate has to fit my gear + his gear,including his two Gretsch guitars so i don't think it'll go.
[/quote]
Tell him to leave one of his guitars at home ;)