Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Wal Mk1 Fretless in Olive Ash

MoJoKe

Hi Guys,

My 1985 Fretless Mk1 Wal was built for me as the first of a bookmatched pair, and was signed off by Ian Waller, with its beautiful and quite unusual Olive Ash facings, and an unlined Indian Ebony fingerboard. I chose the facings and the second set were stashed in a filing cabinet until the following year when the second, fretted, one was made. The neck is a "C" profile, rather than the more common "V", more details further down the thread.

I always said I would never sell this beautiful bass, but sadly needs must to fund the build of its 5 string replacement. Having made the change to 5 strings I now find the change between 5 and 4 difficult when playing live, so she must go :(

When I bought it I was touring extensively so I upgraded the standard Hiscox type case to the fitted flightcase (which is so solid it could probably withstand a nuclear explosion!), which will be included, and the bass weighs 10.2lb

I am perfectly happy to ship anywhere at your expense, or meet oyu somewere for a handover and I am open to [b]sensible offers around £2700[/b].

Photos and sample sounds here [url="http://www.2things.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=14"]Wal Images[/url]

[attachment=96963:IMG_1682.JPG]

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1326137887' post='1492850']
This is a very very special fretless. And very very tempting, considering trades?
[/quote]

Thank you all for your compliments, Yes, its [i][b]very [/b][/i]special, which is why I have had to think so long and hard about selling it, as it was made for me. Sadly no, I'm not considering trades, I am planning a new build...

[quote name='patrickp' timestamp='1326144760' post='1493003']
One of the nicest Wal's I've seen so far.....would be mine if it had frets on it.
Good luck with the sale anyway....
[/quote]

The texture of the grain really is lovely... Sadly I sold its fretted bookmatched pair about 10 years ago... can be seen in action here:-
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVRzd8_BI4&feature=g-upl&context=G2a06937AUAAAAAAADAA[/media]

Please no comments on the quality of the miming or the chewing!!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1326153696' post='1493205']
Looks like I am going to miss out on this beautiful bass!

Someone is going to be very happy!

Kev's a top bloke too!
[/quote]

Lots of PM's as you'd imagine, but the fat lady hasn't quite finished her song yet....!!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1326152157' post='1493182']
The texture of the grain really is lovely... Sadly I sold its fretted bookmatched pair about 10 years ago... can be seen in action here:-
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVRzd8_BI4&feature=g-upl&context=G2a06937AUAAAAAAADAA[/media]

Please no comments on the quality of the miming or the chewing!!
[/quote]

My main question is, who the hell was buying these guy's records?

MB1. B)
Think they were more popular in the U.K in the 70s...They had quite a few hits in the era Slade,Sweet ,T.rex, Glitter band,Suzi quatro,etc were all chart regulars.
This Clip is of the later band without Rob Davis who gave them there guitar sound ....(Tiger feet...,The cat crept in......still remember that heart/arrow guitar on Top of the pops.)

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1326392152' post='1496688']

MB1. B)
Think they were more popular in the U.K in the 70s...They had quite a few hits in the era Slade,Sweet ,T.rex, Glitter band,Suzi quatro,etc were all chart regulars.
This Clip is of the later band without Rob Davis who gave them there guitar sound ....(Tiger feet...,The cat crept in......still remember that heart/arrow guitar on Top of the pops.)
[/quote]

Tiger feet was No. 1 in 1974, which was one of 3 x No 1's, and a host of top 10 singles. The original band split in 1981ish, and I served my time with Les in the mid 80's, touring with other 70's bands, the likes of Sweet, Glitter band, Rubettes, etc. more info here [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_(band"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_(band[/url]), and I am one of a small select number of guys who had the privilege of working with him.

The soundtrack for this 321 appearance was recorded in one take, with just 1 bass and 1 guitar drop-in, at a London studio (can't remember which) in between a lunchtime gig at a holiday camp in Hunstanton and an evening gig in Brighton!

I'm glad no-one has commented on the crap miming and the big hair! Now someone buy my bass please!!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1326373516' post='1496186']

[/quote]
'Tiger feet' was my second ever single -, after Hurricane Smith's 'Oh babe, what would you say'. So I was buying their records!

Back on track, bump for a gorgeous bass :)

Edited by Clarky