Why become a member? ×

any bcer's on this youtube clip?

chrisd24

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325847081' post='1488564']
Can someone please explain the point of these clips?
[/quote]

I think its kind of a celebration to show lots of people who have taken the time to learn a song and a rather cool song at that.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1325844121' post='1488504']
Funny how all those basses sound exactly the same..... ;)
[/quote]

I was thinking the same (except the acoustic at the top) not in the same sceptical way I think you are Crez B) , but in how all basses can sound remarkably similar when recorded. So I started listening a little closer, albeit on cheap speakers, and I'm sure I could detect some subtle differences.

Edit - try 1.16 to about 1.24

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1325848085' post='1488585']
I was thinking the same (except the acoustic at the top) not in the same sceptical way I think you are Crez B) , but in how all basses can sound remarkably similar when recorded. So I started listening a little closer, albeit on cheap speakers, and I'm sure I could detect some subtle differences.
[/quote]

To be fair I'm listening through the computer so they may well sound different on better speakers.....

My take on the soundtrack was that they started with the guy on the acoustic bass, but then switched to a single bassline for the remainder of the track.

The playing was just too consistent (IMHO) to be 30 different bassists playing 30 different basses.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1325848519' post='1488597']
My take on the soundtrack was that they started with the guy on the acoustic bass, but then switched to a single bassline for the remainder of the track.

The playing was just too consistent (IMHO) to be 30 different bassists playing 30 different basses.
[/quote]

I'm with Spidey and his dancing spidey senses on this one :)

Got to be a single track after the intitial semi acoustic. Check out the right hands of those where you can see it, most aren't synch'd properly, ie it's not their actual playing you are listening to.
If I were one of them I'd be quite annoyed and ask for my contribution to be removed (unless it was my actual line that was used for the whole thing).
They are effectively miming and they might not even be aware of it unless whoever put the comp together got in touch with them all to ask if it was OK with them.

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1325854834' post='1488770']
shed light on what, guys? :) :)
[/quote]

Silddx and I both thought we spotted you on the clip. If you were, was it all one track or is it a very good mix of all the individual bass players?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325847081' post='1488564']
Can someone please explain the point of these clips?
[/quote]

It's some kind of desperate & pathetic need for recognition & to be told they're a badass bass player by a load of people they've never met & who's critical opinion counts for absolutely f*** all, as far as I can tell.

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1325860777' post='1488936']
i dont think it was a mix, it's just one bass taken (P bass probably), but then i wasnt really listening carefully.. it's not anything like my bass was sounding at least.
and yes it was me playing.

easy
Laimis
[/quote]

Well despite me being the one thinking there may be some mixing going on I take this as a fairly definitive answer - pretty sure you would know your own sound Laimis!

Thanks for the response.

Now I'm confused. I interpret from Laimis reply that it actually is one bass on the soundtrack but it's not him ('it's not anything like my bass was sounding at least') but he recognises himself from the video ('yes it was me playing') ie yes that is footage of him playing the tune but the sound is someone else. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting him? Not that I'm too bothered either way since I didn't take part in it. Come to think of it I'm not that wild about the tune either ;)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1325847426' post='1488566']
I think its kind of a celebration to show lots of people who have taken the time to learn a song and a rather cool song at that.
[/quote]
I guess...

I just find the whole concept somewhat alien and perplexing. Sure I sometimes like to play along with records - it's how I learnt some stuff when I was a beginner and I do it when I'm learning songs for my covers band. However the idea of going to all the trouble of videoing it and then uploading to YouTube that I simply don't get.

Also I know from experience that playing along with the original recording can cover a multitude of sins. No matter how good I sound at home with the record backing me, it's a different story when I play the same songs with my covers band

Also maybe as a composer I place creating something new above duplicating something that already exists no matter how much technical ability is required. The only videos you'll ever see of me are live or promos of songs that were written by the bands playing them.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325936622' post='1489982']
I guess...

I just find the whole concept somewhat alien and perplexing. Sure I sometimes like to play along with records - it's how I learnt some stuff when I was a beginner and I do it when I'm learning songs for my covers band. However the idea of going to all the trouble of videoing it and then uploading to YouTube that I simply don't get.

Also I know from experience that playing along with the original recording can cover a multitude of sins. No matter how good I sound at home with the record backing me, it's a different story when I play the same songs with my covers band

Also maybe as a composer I place creating something new above duplicating something that already exists no matter how much technical ability is required. The only videos you'll ever see of me are live or promos of songs that were written by the bands playing them.
[/quote]

Generally I would had normally agreed with you. However, I got a request once to post a video clip up of one of my basses to show the tone. i used U2 New Years Day as its a solid bass line and before I know it, I was unindated with requests for more U2 songs to be posted and I now think after a few years, my video has been watched by 30,000 people and is considered the most accurate version on Youtube.

I soon got requests for other bands which for some I have done not only resulting in the requesters and others thanking me and saying how much it has helped but also the original bassists saying great job etc. A lot of the requests come from people who are learning to play from all over the world and struggle to find the music in written form or TAB and it really helps them to see where the hand positions are as well as hearing the bass line a bit clearer rather than mixed down in the original track. I have also had requests and thanks from people who are disabled in some form and enjoy music and learning to play but have difficulties playing.

Finally and recently, because my basslines to other artists songs are played note for note, one of my covers of a Simple Minds song is being used in a project to recreate the songs using the best version from Youtube of all other instruments as well as being analiyzied through some piece of waveform software to really see how accurate the cover is.

Plus I do get lots of questions from bassists asking what I think of this bass, amp, cabs etc and can I do a song with X bass or amp etc.

So to my surprise, these sort of covers have really helped a lot of people in more ways than I expected.