Why become a member? ×

any bcer's on this youtube clip?

chrisd24

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1325938631' post='1490036']
Generally I would had normally agreed with you. However, I got a request once to post a video clip up of one of my basses to show the tone. i used U2 New Years Day as its a solid bass line and before I know it, I was unindated with requests for more U2 songs to be posted and I now think after a few years, my video has been watched by 30,000 people and is considered the most accurate version on Youtube.

I soon got requests for other bands which for some I have done not only resulting in the requesters and others thanking me and saying how much it has helped but also the original bassists saying great job etc. A lot of the requests come from people who are learning to play from all over the world and struggle to find the music in written form or TAB and it really helps them to see where the hand positions are as well as hearing the bass line a bit clearer rather than mixed down in the original track. I have also had requests and thanks from people who are disabled in some form and enjoy music and learning to play but have difficulties playing.

Finally and recently, because my basslines to other artists songs are played note for note, one of my covers of a Simple Minds song is being used in a project to recreate the songs using the best version from Youtube of all other instruments as well as being analiyzied through some piece of waveform software to really see how accurate the cover is.

Plus I do get lots of questions from bassists asking what I think of this bass, amp, cabs etc and can I do a song with X bass or amp etc.

So to my surprise, these sort of covers have really helped a lot of people in more ways than I expected.
[/quote]

Why don't the lazy bastards just get off their arses & do the legwork for themselves?
How would they have managed before the internet (like a lot of us did with no discernible disadvantage).
They probably just wouldn't have bothered learning as it would have required too much effort.

I've uploaded a few things to Yt of me playing along to songs. Part of it is vanity because I want to do it better than any of the others up there, but also because it can be helpful to people trying to learn the tune. Like Linus I've had requests to do others.

As to Rhys P's comment about lazy bastards, it's just easier to learn that way for some people mate. It's tech evolution. Nothing to do with being lazy, it increases your work rate if anything because you can learn more much more quickly. Stop being so negative.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1325862214' post='1488987']
Now I'm confused. I interpret from Laimis reply that it actually is one bass on the soundtrack but it's not him ('it's not anything like my bass was sounding at least') but he recognises himself from the video ('yes it was me playing') ie yes that is footage of him playing the tune but the sound is someone else. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting him? Not that I'm too bothered either way since I didn't take part in it. Come to think of it I'm not that wild about the tune either ;)
[/quote]

you're right, mate.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325941021' post='1490083']
Why don't the lazy bastards just get off their arses & do the legwork for themselves?
How would they have managed before the internet (like a lot of us did with no discernible disadvantage).
They probably just wouldn't have bothered learning as it would have required too much effort.
[/quote]

Why is it lazy? They still have to learn to play the song themselves? I can't see any difference to watching Sting on a video playing along to Roxanne and trying to work it out or watching someone on YouTube playing Roxanne and trying to work it out. Its not like you are telling them how to play it note by note and phyically sitting them down and showing them how to play it. As for before the internet then you would had watched a video or listened to a record. No different now apart from its on a computer. Should we ban songbooks as that tells them what to play note for note rather than as you put it, getting off their arses and working it for themselves. Whilst we are at it, we might as well ban tutorial videos and DVD's and thats someone showing them how to play also.

As silddx has said, stop being so negative. Times have changed and so has technology but the core is, they still have to learn to play the instrument themselves.