Why become a member? ×

Band rehearsal tonight

Blademan_98

Some of you may know that I recently advertised to start a covers band in Bucks.

We now have a singer so the line up is complete :)

After only three weeks, we have 10 songs that are close to gig standard but they really came together whilst trying the singer out.

This is my first venture that I have started rather than joining some one elses.

I'm happy with the progress and we hope to get gigging by the end of March. The drummer and I are getting on great.

Has anyone else had this type of experience where you just gel?

:lol:

Yes many a time but on different levels. Twice with two drummers who we gelled so perfectly that it was heaven. In fact with one of the drummers, it was like telepathy, we could just feed of each others expresions to make movement and groove, we were so locked in it was awsome and I so looked forward to the gigs. We would get regular comments after a gig commenting on how well we gelled and we were the talented ones in the band :) Such a shame I could not face playing with the rest of the band who were slackers and I left them in the end.

Yep, got that with both of my current bands. To be honest, it`s rather spoiled me, as if I were to try out for a band where that wasn`t happening, I don`t think I`d continue with that band.

Now I know how good it can be, I look back in horror at a band I was in for years, where it would take rehearsing a song for 6 weeks before I wasn`t cringing with embarrassment at it.

Yup current band is a real hoot, rehearsals are full of laughter, and everyone puts in the time. I suggested a song last Wed, we rehearsed it Sat, and I reckon we could gig it tomorrow, including the twin guitar harmonies! we also cover Bucks...hope we ain't gonna be competing for gigs!!

edit: georgeH we are playing The Bull in Bracknell 4th feb if ya wanna come take the mickey!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

Sounds great! Post on here when you get your first gig, Dont know where you are in Bucks, but Denham is only 15 mins up the A 40 from here.
I,ve been rehearsing with a new band since October and have currently got 13 songs in the bag and a singer audtioning on monday.
Toss up to use the Precision or the Stingray for me! :)

I`m just settling in to my new band, and I must say compared to the dance band I`m in it`s almost too easy. We are bashing out songs none of us have played, to see if they work and they`re actually sounding pretty good.
We don`t seem to want to go home at the end of rehearsals either, being happy to chat or keep playing.
The dance band took months to get a set together and they still sound nothing like they`re sposed to,mainly due to laziness on the keys part. It`s actually a chore keeping them in a rehearsal for longer than 90 minutes.
Blademan, good luck with it, and I hope it continues to be fun.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325850762' post='1488663']
If it doesn't gel, it doesn't even get past first base as far as I am concerned.

But glad you have found a band that is going to work.
[/quote]
Yep, just as you can pick up a bass in a shop and know within a few notes if its going to work for you or not, my mind is made up 15 minutes into an audition usually whether to stay or not (or whether I'll be asked to)...

Really glad you've got something groovy going on though, its hard to find the sort of synergy where you instinctively complement each other. Think of the practice time you save for a start - makes more time for having fun!

[quote name='GeorgeH' timestamp='1325850727' post='1488660']
@Oopsdabassist yeah I'll definitely try to make it down mate! PM me with start time etc
[/quote]

usually kick off about 9.00pm..All are welcome..bring yer partners, parents, kids, cats or dogs...its all good fun...oops sorry Blademan, didn't mean to hijack your thread :blush:

That's cool :)

I'm in Aylesbury but we plan to play Berkhampstead / Hemel etc as well as Aylesbury.

The other chaps come from that way.
We rehearse in my back garden :lol: and even my misses said we sounded good (and she doesn't often complement me :( )

I will post when we have our first gig!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1325867450' post='1489124']
usually kick off about 9.00pm..All are welcome..bring yer partners, parents, kids, cats or dogs...its all good fun...oops sorry Blademan, didn't mean to hijack your thread :blush:
[/quote]

That's great news Blademan!
I'm really pleased that it looks like you have hit on the right people.

I read your post yesterday, and must admit I was a little bit envious because I've been struggling to get a band together for some time now.
But I've just got back from tonight's rehearsal, and I'm absolutely buzzing!

Since last June when I quit the function band I was in, because of musical differences, and certain members not putting any effort in,
I have been trying to put together a rock/blues band, and must have played with dozens on musicians since then, some very good, and
some not so good, but there always seemed to be something not quite right, and I was really starting to think that it must be me.

Then suddenly I found a great drummer who I immediately clicked with, plus a rhythm guitarist who has only been playing for a year or so,
but he is rapidly improving all the time because he is totally committed to learning.

And then tonight, the drummer brought along one of his old band members who is a lead guitarist, and he was absolutely brilliant!
The rhythm guitarist and myself kept nodding our approval to each other, but deep down I was thinking that he would not want to commit himself to us, but he said that he had really enjoyed the session, but more importantly, he said that he loved what we were playing, and the way we played, and would love to come on board. :) :) :)

It was probably one of the tightest sessions I've ever been involved in, and yet we've only known each other for a few weeks, and we only met the lead guitarist for the first time tonight, but what makes me think this could really work, is the fact that we all seem to be on the same wavelength musically, and most importantly, we all seem to get on great, and already, we feel comfortable in each others company.

[b]Best of luck with your new band Blademan.[/b]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1325873877' post='1489271']

I'm in Aylesbury but we plan to play Berkhampstead / Hemel etc as well as Aylesbury.

We rehearse in my back garden :lol: and even my misses said we sounded good (and she doesn't often complement me :( )

[/quote]

Keep us posted on gigs, I`m in Hemel, so all those areas easy to get to.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1325873877' post='1489271']

[/quote]

Woohoo! we rehearse in Aylesbury, will be there today, drummer hails from those parts. If you here the strains of 'Waiting For An Alibi' wafting around near Tesco's..that'll be us!!

If you want to gig round Hemel, get the band to the Oddfellows Arms in Apsley on a Tue night, they do Jam nights and it gives you a chance to show the boss what you can do, we got a gig in May out of it.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1325924678' post='1489825']
Woohoo! we rehearse in Aylesbury, will be there today, drummer hails from those parts. If you here the strains of 'Waiting For An Alibi' wafting around near Tesco's..that'll be us!!

If you want to gig round Hemel, get the band to the Oddfellows Arms in Apsley on a Tue night, they do Jam nights and it gives you a chance to show the boss what you can do, we got a gig in May out of it.
[/quote]

Yep, The Odds is a nice little venue, and if you play well, you get a very good reception. Whereas, if you don`t play well,it`s not the sort of pub to boo and all that stuff. Nice place, friendly locals, lack of trouble. We love playing there.

Have to say I'd be wary of this auditon type 'gig'...too many pubs might use it as an excuse to fill their pub on a quiet night...

As long as the Landlord is genuine and gives out gigs, then maybe..?? but the auditions bands round here that get used as fillers have been pretty poor and
no credit to anyone, tbh. They don't even do the pub any favours as people go elsewhere and don't drop in on the pub on the off-chance anymore.
Last's nights band cleared out the pub.. as it happens and that is two duff bands in a row..!!

The goal should be that the band is good enough to get gigs without giving out freebies.... IMO..!!

This one isn`t a bad deal, to be honest. It`s a real "Open Mic" night, where anyone/everyone can get up and have a go. There`s a staple set of musicians and gear, but if a band turn up and ask, they let them have a go. Most of the local musician-set go to it, and the pub is good for gigs as well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326015052' post='1490911']
Have to say I'd be wary of this auditon type 'gig'...too many pubs might use it as an excuse to fill their pub on a quiet night...

As long as the Landlord is genuine and gives out gigs, then maybe..?? but the auditions bands round here that get used as fillers have been pretty poor and
no credit to anyone, tbh. They don't even do the pub any favours as people go elsewhere and don't drop in on the pub on the off-chance anymore.
Last's nights band cleared out the pub.. as it happens and that is two duff bands in a row..!!

[b]The goal should be that the band is good enough to get gigs without giving out freebies[/b].... IMO..!!
[/quote]
I totally agree with this statement. The only problem is (IME) that Landlords don't listen to the demo you spend time and money on.
They tend to want word of mouth recommendations. Shoot Pool in Aylesbury will only hire a band with no references by them doing a jam night first.
It is a way in but the warning you give is very valid.
How would you recommend and new band to get feedback? When I play, I usually can tell if the song was OK, BUT that is my opinion.
You really need an audience to confirm it (not a bunch of friends who don't want to hurt your feelings!)
A vicious circle or Catch 22 for those old enough to remember that book!

We will record some tracks when ready and I will post them on soundcloud.

Perhaps BC can judge if we are worthy of a gig :lol:

Sure, it is difficult... and it sounds like your gig option could be decent,..it is just that I know of a few round here which don't work out...and they seem to be taken the pee out of new startup bands.

One of the most notorious round here offered us a gig when I rang them on spec...( I hadn't gone to see a gig there myself, which is normally what I would want to do ..or at least get a decent referral from guys -musos- I trusted. )
and the guy said we could play there at audition night. You can tell I am not used to being the guy who hassles the gigs..:lol: as I've played them but not being involved at booking.
I am not sure my reaction was the right one...as I laughed and told him we had all been around a bit too long for that sort of thing... but we struck up a dialogue and we got 4 for the year
on the basis of our chat. As it turned out, it wasn't a gig for us... and we ended up doing only 2 of them, with no hard feelings.

But the point about how do you know..?? well, I am arrogant or confident enough ( musically ) to know where we stand in the grand scheme of things with bands round here.
I don't BS myself in this regard ( my mates know to trust me when I tell them a gig is worth them seeing or not,)
and my band mates would tell you I give them a hard time . They can call it negative..and do sometimes... whereas I prefer to call it positive and pushing things on.
I think we could be much better, but there is a limit to how much you can rant on when we all purport to do it for fun, mostly..and I agree with that....just that I still think we are missing a trick or two by accepting
things are 'fine' as there are. I find this as frustrating as hell

Yep... I do get a bit anal or obessive about this aspect, I'm afraid..but I can't stay interested any other way. It is what it is.

Congrats fella, it's a great feeling; the covers band I dep in has a guitarist and drummer who i gell with really well we seem to read each others minds sometimes.

The frustrating thing is they have a regular bass player and i'm only with them when he can't make a show or if I get the gig. Whilst they've not said it explicitely all the other members have strongly hinted they'd rather have me but the regular guy is a mate so it makes everything a bit complicated