Why become a member? ×

Multi FX/amp sims for bass & guitar?

MacDaddy

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1325669286' post='1485760']
The new Zoom B3 is worth looking at. Due for release soon-ish.

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b3/features/"]http://www.zoom.co.j...ts/b3/features/[/url]
[/quote]

nice, but doesn't have anything for guitar.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1325670099' post='1485774']
nice, but doesn't have anything for guitar.
[/quote]

There's the Zoom G3

Ah, I take it you're looking for something that has both bass and guitar amp sims?

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1325668991' post='1485757']
...and the Pod M9 and12 boards - although they don't have amp sims.
[/quote]

The Pod and the M-series are different products - the M5, M9, M13 are purely for effects and have no amp sim - they're supposed to augment or replace your pedalboard. The Pod stuff contains the effects, amp simulation and speaker/mic modelling and is intended to replace the whole pedals/amp/cab signal path and allow you to go direct into a PA or recording interface without all that heavy lifting! Bartelby is right on the money with the Pod X3 Pro, sounds like just what you're after.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1325676566' post='1485880']
The Pod and the M-series are different products - the M5, M9, M13 are purely for effects and have no amp sim - they're supposed to augment or replace your pedalboard. The Pod stuff contains the effects, amp simulation and speaker/mic modelling and is intended to replace the whole pedals/amp/cab signal path and allow you to go direct into a PA or recording interface without all that heavy lifting! Bartelby is right on the money with the Pod X3 Pro, sounds like just what you're after.
[/quote]

the X3 Pro fits the bill, but ouch! I'm sure you get what you pay for, but is it over £450.00 better than the Behringer? It doesn't seem too portable for gigging.

Track down a used Boss VF-1- has guitar and bass amp modelling and lots of effects in a 1u half rack. The potential downside is that the bass amp options are pretty limited.

As regards the Pod X3, AFAIK the only differences between the bean, the Live and the Pro models are the form factor and variety of connectors (and possibly MIDI support)- all three have the same sound quality, amps, FX etc.

edit- If you're feeling flush, there's the Fractal Axe-FX which seems to be the holy grail of amp modellers. Hellishly expensive though.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

Don't quote me on this but I beleive the POD XT allows you to download extra amp sims, including bass ones to the standard red guitar model.

Edit - apologies, someone already mentioned the X3 above which I didn't grasp was the upgraded version. Might be worth checking as you might be able to track down an XT for cheaper?

Edited by GarethFlatlands

the bass pod live xt's amp sims have marshall, fender and other guitar amps as well. i've used mine recording guitar using the 'fender bassman' or 'dual showman' sims and they sound fine to my ears - not that i've as picky about guitar sounds as i am about bass.

incidentally i'm looking to sell it as i'm not in the band i was using it with any more - pm me if you're interested.

I've got an ordinary Behringer V-Amp (the desktop guitar one, not bass) and have tracked bass through it for home demos - there's a couple of clean 'studio preamp' settings (can't remember the exact name) that I've managed to get a reasonable tone from. You can also bypass the amp/cab modelling completely and use it as a direct in.

It 'does the job' in a cheap and cheerful way, and gives me passable sounds for demoing with both instruments. Wouldn't use it on anything I was going to release, but I've had a good 8 years out of it as a demoing tool. It's recently gone faulty, and I'll probably replace it with the same thing again if I can find one cheap on th'ebay.

• 4 weeks later...

I know MD's bought a J-Station, but...

The PODxt only came in Guitar [b]OR[/b] Bass Versions, though model packs are available for purchase & download through the Line6 Monkey application (free from Line6).

The updated version of the PODxt was the PODx3, which actually had Guitar [b]AND[/b] Bass amp sims on board, as well as other sims/models specifically for acoustic guitar & vocals (IIRC). The x3 was available as the desktop "bean", the rack mount "Pro" and the floor board "Live" versions.

The PODx3 has now been superseded by the POD HD series (to my knowledge, there's no Bass specific variant available yet). Last time I looked at them, there were only 3 Guitar specific, floor board only models available. Again, I think that there are model packs available for purchase & download, but no bass specific variants. [b]EDIT:[/b] OK, so there's about 5 versions of the POD HD available, 3 floor boards, the bean and a Pro version.[b]</EDIT[/b]

Saying that, some of the PODxt's "Guitar" amp models sound better with a bass than they do with a guitar. IMO. ;) I had a Bass PODxt for a while, but was so unimpressed with the sound, I sold it and went back to using my old red PODxt instead.

Edited by Skybone

• 2 months later...

digitech gnx 4 with the mfx supermodels upgrade, pretty much the best thing for less money than an axe-fx (it has a full range of bass and guitar settings)
its an old unit but still sounds awesome with the mfx package.(the mfx models are still bieng upgraded an new models added regularly)
i recently upgraded to a pod hd500 which sounded good in the shop but as soon as i got it home the direct comparison was like night and day, the gnx was an awesome bit of kit and massively underrated at the time, needless to say the line6 went back.
although i must add that the unit out of the box sounds a bit fizzy and mediocre, its the mfx supermodels that makes the difference.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1333814633' post='1606910']
i checked out the GNX before getting my Johnson. I was under the impression it was just for guitarists? Obviously wrong - doh!

I know Digitech own Johnson, there may be similarities between the J Station and the GNX?
[/quote]

i think the gnx series was an evolution of the j station, they did a genesis model which was a desktop version, they have a very simelar audio processor
the mfx upgrade software also have a selection for the j station although because it is an older unit there are less upgraded models
http://www.mfxsupermodels.com/
as far as im aware the gnx 1,2,3 and 3000 have just a few bass amp models but the gnx 4 has a wider selection with loads more available from the mfx website