Why become a member? ×

Altering action to escape clank.

norvegicusbass

I fitted new flat strings to my bass and have noticed a distinct metal on metal sound as the string comes in contact with the fret. Would lowering the action help somewhat? I know zilch about altering action or what it achieves but it seems plausible to me that the greater the distance a string needs to be depressed before coming into contact with a fret will cause a greater amount of clank. At the base of the neck on my guitar there is a hole where an Allen key can alter the action. It has a label which says turning right = up and turning left = fall. It seems obvious but I may as well cement my reputation here for abject ignorance but is it to the left ( fall ) the way to lower the action?

Depends what is causing the problem. Set the bass up properly, the hole in the neck is for the truss rod and it isn't to raise an lower action, its to adjsut the relief in the neck, it should be very close to flat but very slightly curved, like imperceptible unless you reference against a straight edge. The bridge saddles are the action adjustment and more of a taste call. But aside from that, not unlikely the noise comes from technique.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1325113615' post='1480040']
Depends what is causing the problem. Set the bass up properly, the hole in the neck is for the truss rod and it isn't to raise an lower action, its to adjsut the relief in the neck, it should be very close to flat but very slightly curved, like imperceptible unless you reference against a straight edge. The bridge saddles are the action adjustment and more of a taste call. But aside from that, not unlikely the noise comes from technique.
[/quote]

Yeah I am pretty sure my technique needs work just it doesnt matter how hard or soft I press on the string I get this bloody clank. However its an semi-accoustic so I dont know if the noise will still be as bad once I play it through an amp.

Normally raising the action reduces fret buzz.
However, as you "know zilch", before you start making adjustments, I would advise reading some of these [url="http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&cp=16&gs_id=2r&xhr=t&q=setting+up+a+bass+guitar&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=setting+up+a+bas&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=440660d03c957758&biw=1680&bih=927"]http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=927[/url]

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1325113954' post='1480049']
Normally raising the action reduces fret buzz.
However, as you "know zilch", before you start making adjustments, I would advise reading some of these [url="http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&cp=16&gs_id=2r&xhr=t&q=setting+up+a+bass+guitar&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=setting+up+a+bas&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=440660d03c957758&biw=1680&bih=927"]http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=927[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah I will definately read some more.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1325113337' post='1480036']
....I may as well cement my reputation here for abject ignorance....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]There's no shame in not knowing stuff, but it does sound like you need help. I'd get a professional set up and start to develop a light touch. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1325113337' post='1480036']
I fitted new flat strings to my bass and have noticed a distinct metal on metal sound as the string comes in contact with the fret.
[/quote]

If this is only apparent at the moment of pressing the string down and perhaps the instant you pluck a note, then it might just be because the strings are brand new - if so, as the strings age this will become far less apparent, AFAIK a lot of flats players prefer the sound of older strings. Jamerson kept his on for years IIRC!

I noticed the very same thing when I put flats on my Precision. Took a bit of adjustment on the truss rod, but I still noticed more "clank" than with rounds.

I think it must be technique, as I hit the strings quite hard, and I did notice that the action was higher with the flats than with the rounds I usually use.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325119947' post='1480107']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]There's no shame in not knowing stuff, but it does sound like you need help. I'd get a professional set up and start to develop a light touch. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

I will definitely do that the second I acquire a decent bass lol the one I use cost less than £100 brand new so I would feel a little silly taking that to a pro. Dreaming of the day I get a P though

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1325157148' post='1480289']
....the one I use cost less than £100 brand new so I would feel a little silly taking that to a pro....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Without a set up you've got a £100 dog, with a set up you'd have a £125 joy to play.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4]A pro set up should only be in the region of £25[/size].[/size][/font][/color]

You don't need to go to a pro for a good set up. Its definitely worth learning how as you can experiment with your ideal setup and make seasonal adjustments.

There is probably a basschatter near you who does their own setups (probably a lot better than some shops) who would be happy to sort you bass out & show you how to do it for a pint or two.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1325113795' post='1480045']semi-accoustic[/quote]
By which you mean electro acoustic or chambered body? If it's an electro acoustic are you sure the strings you've bought are suitable for the bass? Strings for electric and acoustic instruments work in slightly different ways. But, just generally, if you've switched from a round wound to a flat wound string, but not changed gauge, you've increased the mass of material that needs to be brought up to tension, and as a consequence the stresses along and across the neck, so you're delivering the string to the fret contact from a greater height and a steeper angle. With a flat wound string, you're also dealing with more material at the point of contact and less air generally, so you should expect more volume when those fret contacts are made.