Why become a member? ×

Bass amp for gigging

newbass1000

I've just come into possession of about £300, and i'm needing something to gig with, playing roughly 2 gigs a week of varying venue size
A band I saw recently used a trace elliot bass amp which gave off a brilliant sound, just a quick inquiry what would be a worthy investment, Can probably buy off here if needs be in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers.

If you liked the sound of Trace Elliot it's a good place to start :)

My first amp was a Laney 2x10 combo which was awesome but for metal gigs needed an extension cabinet... Ashdown stuff is nice too, and cheap second hand!

Have a nose around the for sale section on here, basschatters seem incapable of not offering the best deals out there!

For £300, best bang for buck, IMO, is TE, second-hand... IF you don't mind the weight.

As it is older stuff... most TE rigs have done a zillion gigs...
I think it would be better spec'd, prob better made...last the course, do the job and weigh a ton...
but you can't have it all....

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1324926862' post='1478564']
I appreciate the feedback, I found a laney rb9 ( head and cab ) in a shop today for 250, although I could probably haggle him down more, worthy investment?
Or am I better off waiting for something better?
[/quote]

Have you tried it?

I really rate the Laney RB stuff but horses for courses!

new to basschat, been playing and gigging for 25 years
gk 400rb- very loud 200watts great mids-u can pick a head up for 150 ish, i used it with a ashdown 410 4 ohm which i sold for 150. this was a good rig for all styles very funky- i used it doing pubs with hendrix covers playing with a loud guitarist with a carvin valve amp

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1324926862' post='1478564']
I appreciate the feedback, I found a laney rb9 ( head and cab ) in a shop today for 250, although I could probably haggle him down more, worthy investment?
Or am I better off waiting for something better?
[/quote]

What cab is it? If it`s a 410, then that should be fine for band use. I had a Laney 115 combo, think was 300 watts, and it just wasn`t enough in a (heavy rock) band situation. You could hear it, but there was no size/depth to the sound. But then, a single 15 competing against two Marshall 412s was always going to be a battle.

I have an ampeg B200R that I use for small to medium gigs - or ones where space is limited.

Probably 6-7 years old now. I bought it about 3 years ago, for approx £200 used

I did a lot of research before getting it, and i'm completely happy.

15" cone, and pretty loud, but it also has a line out if you need it.

Sounds great, looks great too (vintage blue ampge tolex). Mine has been 100% reliable so far.