Why become a member? ×

Bass Solo. Should You and How to ?

MusicLover20015

[center][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I know there are going to be people from different sides saying "bass should also be able to solo" as well as "bass solo's ruin the experiance" but i just wanted to know what makes a good bass solo ? [/font][/center]

[center][font=comic sans ms,cursive]How do you guys go about it ? Do you look at the lead sheet stick the chords in your head and change from place to place, Or do you do what i do, pounce around on the fretboard hoping for an idea to magically come into my brain <_< [/font][/center]

[center][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I know it takes me around half an hour to come up with something good to solo over but there are people and we all know that can just begin a solo and take your breath away, mind me asking, how do they do it ? experiance ? knowledge of the fretboard ? or just meant to be ?[/font][/center]

[center][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Thanks [/font][/center]

[center][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Hope i get a lot of answers on this thread :D [/font] [/center]

By the way i just wanted to know .... is it 'bad' to pre-make (couldn't find another word LOl) a solo ? It should be spontaneous and what your feeling inside at that right momment shouldn't it ? I was reading something about this the other day and someone had said that Jaco Pre-made all his solo's so it kind of changed my mind. Now im just sitting here confused. :unsure:

I wouldn't do a solo, personally, not my thing... however, if I [i]had[/i] to sit through one, I'd rather the player did something musical, in keeping with the song (it's not a solo taking the place of a song, is it? :huh: ) and avoided just dazzling me with super-fast clacking and popping because I just don't care for w*** or, worse again, some poxy tapping. It should sound good to the ear and should be mercifully brief.

Well, you did ask.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1324576651' post='1475890']
I wouldn't do a solo, personally, not my thing... however, if I [i]had[/i] to sit through one, I'd rather the player did something musical, in keeping with the song (it's not a solo taking the place of a song, is it? :huh: ) and avoided just dazzling me with super-fast clacking and popping because I just don't care for w*** or, worse again, some poxy tapping. It should sound good to the ear and should be mercifully brief.

Well, you did ask.
[/quote]

I kind of agree with you there. Personally, i also don't like people who want to play at 100mph at a solo or doing there triplets again and again and again and again, Lol. I would say im into the more melodic part of solo'ing as you have said. Someone like Marcus Miller i would say, he solo's but it is very melodic in a way but also his own basslines are simple but groovy. Take Jean Pierre for instance the bassline at the beginning is so simple but catchy and then when he begins to do other things :o

I only ever had to do a solo once, and it was for my first ever gig and I hadn't been playing long.

So I lifted the bass solo pretty much note for note from Pieces of a Dream's "Pop Rock" on the basis that it was pretty obscure at the time. I can't even find it on the internet now so I think I probably got away with it.

[quote name='MusicLover20015' timestamp='1324576605' post='1475889']
By the way i just wanted to know .... is it 'bad' to pre-make (couldn't find another word LOl) a solo ? It should be spontaneous and what your feeling inside at that right momment shouldn't it ? I was reading something about this the other day and someone had said that Jaco Pre-made all his solo's so it kind of changed my mind. Now im just sitting here confused. :unsure:
[/quote]

There are no "should"s! (That's perhaps a separate discussion, vaguely related to the "musical snobs" thread - who cares for the opinions of people hung up on what you "should" or "should not" be playing?)

I'd rather listen to a good pre-composed solo than a bad improvised one.

A show-off solo is fine by me if it's in a show-off context - we gasp at acrobats at the circus, so why not? But a show-off solo in the middle of a "regular" song - no thanks!

Here's a nice example of a non-acrobatic solo, at around 2'10": short, sweet, and fits the song:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPf9GQEdes"][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPf9GQEdes[/media][/url]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1324577445' post='1475904']
There are no "should"s! (That's perhaps a separate discussion, vaguely related to the "musical snobs" thread - who cares for the opinions of people hung up on what you "should" or "should not" be playing?)

I'd rather listen to a good pre-composed solo than a bad improvised one.

A show-off solo is fine by me if it's in a show-off context - we gasp at acrobats at the circus, so why not? But a show-off solo in the middle of a "regular" song - no thanks!

Here's a nice example of a non-acrobatic solo, at around 2'10": short, sweet, and fits the song:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPf9GQEdes"][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPf9GQEdes[/media][/url]
[/quote]

It's just i feel like something is missing from me when i pre compose a solo and then play it rather than something very good improvised, i just want to know how the big boys do it, if you get me ? :D

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1324577935' post='1475913']
If it's improvised, then it is indeed as you suggest experience and fretboard knowledge. I guess most of can make up a tune in our heads - a singer can "just sing it", and the experienced, studied and practised instrumentalist can "just play it".
[/quote]

Thats what i was about to get at. Everyone has their own melody in their heads but its the how am i going to apply this on the freatboard that kinda kills me off lol

Well , you did ask 'should you' and my answer would be 'not in the type of gigs I play' - which is basically loud goodtime pub rock. Personally I find that the styles of music where bass soloing does fit better are not styles of music I enjoy very much.

End of the day - if you're a craftsman/artist , have something to say and the best way you can think to say it is by playing a bass solo - go for it.

Not quite a bass solo as such but....... years ago I used to come back on for the encore first , and while the rest of the band were putting on their instruments again I used to play through a couple of choruses of Ilkley Moor bah tat (Yorks connection etc etc). Then on the last note the band came back in. Punters loved it - but all they ever used to say to me was 'You're a great bass player , you did the Ilkley Moor bit - brilliant' etc etc. I used to ask them what else they'd remembered about what just I'd done for the best part of 2 hrs - needless to say they couldn't name a thing. So , for that reason , I stopped doing it.

Just have a little think about that anecdote before you consider bass soloing

[quote name='MusicLover20015' timestamp='1324575953' post='1475883']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I know there are going to be people from different sides saying "bass should also be able to solo" as well as "bass solo's ruin the experiance" but i just wanted to know what makes a good bass solo ? [/font]
[/quote]

Most important thing is knowing when to stop. :)

One band I play in do a final number which is an 'introduce the band' type thing during a 12 bar 'Messin WIth The Kid' - we all get a turn at it for 2 x 12 bars. I finish the 'solos' with my off the cuff, pre-arranged and much rehearsed solo, for the first 12 then in the second do 6 bars of something I nicked from 'A Packet of Three' live version of 'I don't Need No Doctor'

It is the bit at around 4.25 into this:

[media]http://youtu.be/RFy_xlzN5Sw[/media]

Nice bass on this BTW - I think it is a classical piece but am not sure of the name? Then, as per above, everyone piles back in for the next 6 bars and we finish the track. It works a treat and usually goes down really well.

In my other band we play Black Sabbath's NIB which, on the album, starts with a bass wah solo. The other guys keep pestering me to do this but I am not happy about it. What would YOU do?

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1324579804' post='1475953']
I finish the 'solos' with my off the cuff, pre-arranged and much rehearsed solo, for the first 12 then in the second do 6 bars of something I nicked from 'A Packet of Three' live version of 'I don't Need No Doctor'
[/quote]

So that leaves six bars for a round of applause then ? :)

Garry

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1324580604' post='1475965']
Nice choice Paul. Got love Stevie and the packet of three. Saw them a few times in a pub down Finchley way.
[/quote]

Garry - keep reading, the other 6 appear lower down under the Youtube link...

Gary - only got to Stevie M live once - but what a gig. Humble Pie - same line-up as the Filmore album as far as I am aware. This was at the Kursaal at Southend in, at a guess, 1973/74. But only for an hour! Bitter sweet evening, they were superb but it went too quickly. great memories.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1324581234' post='1475979']
Garry - keep reading, the other 6 appear lower down under the Youtube link...
[/quote]

Yep i know mate - just jesting...
I thought six bars of applause for a Bass solo is better than everyone just 'piling in'.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Depends on the gig...... on a lot of dates you will be expected to solo and be expected to carry it off.

If it is a typical jazz date where they do the rounds of a classic...you'll likely get a solo in every other song, almost...and you might only have seen heard the song/theme
through the first melody verse which will set the whole thing up or work off a chart. The band leader will turn round to you and give you a couple of bars notice and you get a sequence
of verse and/or chorus..depending what the other guys take... the bass isn't likely to be first solo up, so you get a little help here :lol:

After you have been through that type of exposure... you'll have a few tricks that you can throw in once a set in your regular band if the singer decides he wants to introduce you.

I never practise anything... I just go with the mood of the track we are playing and come up with something. This should give you decent chops..!! as its live or die/sink or swim..and if you fluff too many you'll not really make the gig that often.

I don't do bass solos myself, but being someone who finds almost all soloing excessively tedious (especially my own on any instrument) that's hardly surprising.

I'll even go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of musicians (no matter what their instrument) who improvise solos, shouldn't.

I would much rather listen to an expressive and well-rehearsed interpretation of a great piece of music than to someone try to show off their chops or get all emotional with a blues solo. The counter to that of course is Stevie Ray's superb interpretation of Hendrix' (improvised) Voodoo Chile... think I lost track of that argument somewhere there...

ficelles

Only played a solo once, and shouldn't have :lol:

Got slung in at the deep end on the quick and all I could think of playing were guitar phrases in Minor Pentatonic. Must have sounded cack, so now I don't. Don't really play any stuff that suits it and am pretty sure that if we did, I wouldn't do the song any justice