Why become a member? ×

Help an experienced guitarist choose his first bass guitar + amp!

bisonkills

Hi guys,

Okay, I've been playing guitar for 15 years and have just joined a band playing bass. I'm playing in a three piece doing math rock stuff, with a bit of a post rock edge. The bass work is quite funky and intricate (for me at least!), and I'm playing with fingers. Currently, I've had the distinct pleasure of borrowing my brother's rather nice bass setup (Fender Jazz Marcus Miller sig and a Mark Bass Mini Mark III + 1x15 cab). So, I've been spoilt rotten.

I need to get my own gear as he needs his stuff to be somewhere else in the new year. I have around £1200 or so to spend on the whole lot. I want to buy the best gear I can as I'm serious about this.

My observations / ideas so far:

[b]Bass Guitar[/b]

-I really like the thin neck and feel of the Fender jazz. The tone is nice, I tend to use the passive mode and leave the active EQ off. Half the tone probably has a lot to do with the amp.

-I've tried a few of the Overwater/Tanglewood basses. The Contemporary J had a nice feel, but I wasn't too sure about the tone of the pickups (the Ampeg MiBass I was using did not respond well to the high output I think! :unsure:). I tried their Classic J, which sounded more natural/less processed to me. Maybe I'm not an active pickups kinda guy?

G&L looks like good value for money too. Obviously, I'm looking on here for second hand stuff. There are a few of the Marcus Miller Basses floating around second hand as well as the Overwater/Tanglewood basses. A bit torn as to which way to go, as the price difference is pretty big.

[b]Amp[/b]

Love the Mark Bass stuff but it's quite expensive. I do NEED a lightweight rig that portable as I don't drive.

I was looking to the Genz Benz Streamliner 600 for a head, maybe even a Little Mark if I can stretch to it. Just need to find a suitable and very portable cab. Suggestions welcome.

You should check out a Musicman Sterling - second hand ones can be got for as little as £600. You should consider a lightweight 1x12 cab for (IMHO) the best compromise between portability, volume and low end - adding a second when you are able to get transport gives a real big sound.

...and keep an eye on the for sale section here. I picked up a Markbass 1x12 combo for £500. Lots of good basses around too and as the market is a bit suppressed at the moment you might get something for a good price.

If you're playing the rock stuff you talk about and only use the passive mode, then you won't go wrong with a Fender. You are comfortable with the Jazz so why not stick with that to start with. Usually quite a few around.

Can't help you amp-wise but bass-wise since you're happy with the Jazz and want passive I'd say....get a Fender Jazz :) G&L are also worth considering too. Jazz-wise the classic players series get a lot of love. If you go second hand there are also a lot of bargains out there at the minute. Its definitely a buyers market.

Have you tried the Squire CV jazz? Lovely basses that are almost as good as the American Standard jazzes but less than half the price. That'll leave you almost £900 for a lightweight rig - like a second hand Markbass LMII and a Barefaced compact cab.

if you enjoyed what you were using id stick to that.

Fender J's can be found quiet cheap on here. A good japanese one will set you up for life.
Littlemark 2 and 3's can be found here very cheap aswell.
As far as cabs go, if you want the most for less. Barefaced all the way, no compromise.

I was the same as you long ago.
I brought (brand new) a fender japanese Jaguar bass, and my first real setup was a orange OTB and bareaced compact.
I know use actives and markbass.

If you like the jazz sound and feel then I'd be inclined to stick with that, though there's no reason you shouldn't try other things. The jazz neck is nicer for us guitar players compared to some of the logs that often seem to go with bass playing.

Ampwise, the Ibanez Promethian seems to have a lot of love round here, and they're around £500 for the 1X10 combo from Thomann.

Thanks guys. That's all really useful feedback. Keep it coming. :)

Wow, the Barefaced midget looks PERFECT for my needs, plus UK made too. I like that! Do these compare well with the small MarkBass cabs? Any opinions on the Tweeter addition? Is it worth the extra £££?

Just did a bit of recording this afternoon at the practice room with my new band. Will post some stuff once it's mixed. Am knackered...

If you like the Fender Jazz, the Mexican Classic range is very good. They do a 60s, with the bridge pickup in the regular position, and a 70s, where the bridge pickup is slightly nearer the bridge, giving a funkier sound. The 70s also has blocks and binding on the neck - looks super cool.

Same with Markbass as you like it, look on here for bargains, they`re always about.

Barefaced Midget. I had one of these, great little cab. it always depends on budget, but, going from your original post, I`d say go for the Midget T. if you don`t need the tweeter, switch it off, but think it would be a great pairing with a Jazz.

With £1200 available, keep your eyes open on here, you should be able to get a nice set-up with that.

For me there is no comparison.
The midget is the loudest cab of its size. To save a few bob I doubt you'll need the tweeter version as its so small and it seems quite high even though its the same 4khz as the compact.

I've used a midget on its own no PA mainy time with need for more.

+1 for the Barefaced Midget. Add a GB amp and you're sorted either the Shuttle or the Streamliner is fine, they are just different. The Streamliner has more valves in the preamp (I think the EQ is valves too) so its a bit more expensive, the power amp section is the same in both I think. The Shuttle 6 is a great Amp, I've just bought one (£400 is a bargain not to be missed).

+1 Fender Jazz Bass, or indeed a Squier CV or VM. The Marcus Miller Jazz bass is actually made in Japan so any Jap Fender will be pretty much on a par with that. Like guitars though there are some good some not so good so whatever you get, try it! You don't have to spend £1,000 on a bass to get a good one though. My favourite bass cost me £200 (Squier VMJ) and I love it far more than my American Fender Jazz.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1324464094' post='1474404']
Indie Prog Rock. :lol:

Bass: Fender Jazz.
[/quote]

Correct! Sorry, sub genres are stupid, but I wanted to give an idea of style. Yes, plenty of prog in there. I love my early prog, especially 'Red' era King Crimson, Rush, Yes, etc. Our guitarist is the one big into the math rock thing (and yes, the 'indie prog' tag kinda nails it!). So yeah, he's getting classic 70s prog style bass riffs, not that he knows it!

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1324208380' post='1471721']
You should check out a Musicman Sterling - second hand ones can be got for as little as £600. You should consider a lightweight 1x12 cab for (IMHO) the best compromise between portability, volume and low end - adding a second when you are able to get transport gives a real big sound.
[/quote]

There is a Sterling on sale on Music Radar - http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96753