Why become a member? ×

Thumb rests

snazz

Okay.... at great personal risk to myself in the are you completely thick department I am going to ask the following question.

How come almost every picture I see of fender basses, I see the so called thumb rest in what I would call the opposite position to what it should be. I.E. underneath the G string. What's that all about?

Apart from the fact I see it in what I deem to be the wrong place, when you move it, there's gonna be two bloody daft screw holes left behind. Am I being stupid or what? I just can't fathom why anyone would screw it in a place where it's got no use at all.

I just know I'm gonna regret asking that. LOL. Try not to make me look to daft.

[quote name='snazz' timestamp='1323878799' post='1468150']
Okay, let's say I buy a Jazz Deluxe mail order. will there be a thumb rest in the box of will it be already fitted, That goes for the huge pieces of hardware too. Thanks...
[/quote]

would think they would be already fitted...

IMO, when you remove the 'tug bar' the holes arn't that noticable especially on darker colour scratchplates.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1323879736' post='1468174']
would think they would be already fitted...

IMO, when you remove the 'tug bar' the holes arn't that noticable especially on darker colour scratchplates.
[/quote]

What usually happens is the screws used to hold the tugbarthumbrest are generally put back into the holes after removing said item.

tug bars are cool!

Thumb rests are quite personal though, mine as pictured is in the complete wrong place as opposed to a traditional one. However I found that I used the tiny lip the the pickup as a rest when playing so when I put one on I put it where it felt right.

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/throwoff/Medway-20110505-00211.jpg[/IMG]

That just seems like a really nasty way to play bass to me. The only time I ever notice I'm using my thumb is when I'm doing this rolling thing with my thumb, index finger and forefinger at the same time. Seems natural to me for some things so it's probably got some technique name. But it wouldn't involve that rest/bar what ever it thinks it is. :)

I like the idea of one but haven't used one in years since I borrowed a bass with one in the mid 90's...in fact, I've got a rosewood thumbrest/tugbar complete with screws in my drawer at home that I bought for something or other but never fitted if anyone's interested, I paid £8.50 for it earlier this year and it's only been out of the bubble wrap once when I checked it arrived before it went in the drawer...

I started out playing with my thumb, with a bass that had neither. Just used to put my finger tips on the scratchplate. Dunno how I did it though, cos I cant do it now. Then I moved on to a pick, cant do that now either. One of my p's has a thumb rest, but I put my thumb on a corner of the pickup anyway, which has worn the corners round.

As for a tug bar, my other p has one, but who would wanna pull the strings so hard that you'd need it ??

Theyre just cosmetic really, surely.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1323883531' post='1468260']
The best thumb rests I've found are belt loops.
[/quote]

Braces, Thought you all wore them out there. Of course if your not a Brit, you probably call them suspenders.

Come to think of it, what we call suspenders used to make good thumb rests as well. ! But you probably need to be either an old git like me, or a perv to have tried it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1323880013' post='1468186']
I don't like thumb rests.
[/quote]

I was the same. I tried several over the years and they just always seemed to get in the way.... then I came up with the idea of making a half height one. Hey presto it worked perfectly. It just feels like resting my thumb on a pickup cover like I'm used to.

If anyone wants me to custom make them a half height one (maple, birdseye maple or ebony) get in touch. :)

I never used to use one, but the last bass I bought a 70's P had the thumb rest (not tug bar) and I have started using it and like it :) (must be an age thing lol) I still move my hand away from the thumb rest position when looking for different sounds, but it's kind of like homebase now for me :)