Why become a member? ×

How on earth do you pick a Fender Precision?

SebCarr

So, I'm in the market for a P-bass, and I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of choice available. I've just sold my only bass to make way for one, but am completely stuck! I mean, if we limit the choices to brand new, Fender (and Squier) only, and no P/Js or anything else, off the top of my head:

Squier Affinity P
Squier VM P
Squier CV P
Mex Standard
Mex Classic
Mex Road Worn
US Standard
US Special
US Highway 1 (a few left over in shops, although discontinued)

and that's ignoring the artist models, and I'm sure there are others, too.

Then add the wealth of second hand stuff around - JV, SQ, Silver Series, various Japanese reissues, and everything else on here, on eBay etc. I'm completely lost. I can research spec sheets all day, but that's no help. It's how it plays, how it feels, and how it sounds.

Obviously the answer is to play a bunch and see what I like, but that's not always practical. Second hand basses are spread far and wide, and with eBay try before you buy is rarely an option.

Then there's the question of how much to spend? So many people swear that their Squier VM with a setup and a Wizard pup is as good as any US Standard, but obviously others see the benefit in the US models (or they wouldn't sell). I really wish there were some universal truths about what is better than what, but that can never be the case. Sample variation (which judging by the Mexican Standards I played at the weekend is huge) and player preference make any objective heirarchy impossible. And, of course, when enough people DO form a consensus that a particular model is a bit special, prices rise accordingly.

So, setting aside colour choices (which is a stupid but real additional factor!) how on earth am I going to decide what is the right P for me, without wasting the time of every private seller/eBay seller and shop in the UK?

I don't think there's an easy answer to this!

you gotta start somewhere...so how about:

start with your budget (what would fit new or s/h), then your eyes (visit a bass emporium to look at as many as possible), then your fingers (does it feel right) and finally your ears (does it sound right)...?

Hah yeah, eeny meeny sounds good as then I can say to my girlfriend "It's not MY fault it cost so much. The decision was made for me!"

Funny thing to moan about though - "Waah, there are too many nice basses in my price range" :)

I did a tour of Denmark Street on Sunday (was passing through). That place is a shadow of its former self :)

I would suggest keeping your options open until you find one that feels, plays, and sounds right.

I've been trying out MIM P's over the last few weeks and had the same trouble as you in deciding which model to go for.

Two identical Precisions that I tried out felt entirely different in my hands. One was a joy to play, the other felt like a plank. Yet they were the same model and cosmetically identical.

One of the things to weigh up would be the neck. The newer 'standards' tend to have slimmer necks with a modern profile, while the models trying to emulate anything 'vintage' have the vintage radius and feel chunkier. Also, the fretboards can be a flatter profile on the 'new' models (which is something I prefer).

In a nutshell, the best advice I could give would be to find an individual bass that looks, feels, and sounds right for you.

[quote name='SebCarr' timestamp='1323784578' post='1466961']
I did a tour of Denmark Street on Sunday (was passing through). That place is a shadow of its former self :)
[/quote]

I know, it is so disappointing now. I remember first going when I starting playing bass and there being so many friendly staff that would let me play stuff just because I wanted to. Now you practically have to show them the cash before they will even talk to you. :)

anyway, back on topic, I agree with going to a shop and just trying everything you possibly can.

Yes, I played two near identical Mexican Standards in the same shop. One had a horrible neck, one was okay. The Highway 1 neck in the same shop was much nicer than those two. It was a different style, but the main difference was that it was much more nicely dressed.

Any recommendations for a shop in London or Surrey with a good stock of Ps?

Those new Modern Player (or whatever they're called) Jazz Basses look very cool... the one with the twin "jazz-bucker" pickups.

Saying that, the new twin, chrome covered, pickup Tele Bass looks just as nice, shame it's only available with a maple 'board.

Edited by Skybone

In my case, having bought and sold many Precisions, MIM/MIJ/Classic/US etc, I`ve found that the US Standards "suit" me best.

But this is what my hands tell me, I`ve had a few US Standards, and kept the ones I liked the most, so even then, with the same model, they can differ.

Buy what your hands prefer is my advice.

I've had a few, all owned from new, all recent models (2008 MIA Standard, 2009 MIM Standard, 2010 MIA Deluxe, 2011 MIJ Classic 70s) and I can say hand on heart that I believe you get exactly what you pay for, and to my mind the American Standard is the best of the lot for the money it costs. If you can afford one, I'd start there and work down. If you find a cheaper one that feels just as good, buy it (they're out there to be found), but that's where I'd pitch in.

I also have a Squier VM, and after a good while of playing it stock, put a quarter-pounder in it a couple of days ago. Nice instrument for the cash, perfect for what I want it for (C,F,Bb,Eb tuning) and if it was all I could afford I'd have no problems with it, but without hesitation it's at the bottom of the list in terms of hardware and general feel.

Personally the feel and playability of a bass is more important than the sound of it's pickups. Pickups can always be upgraded. I recommend heading off to your local music shop trying a few precisions then pick the one that you like the look of, plays well and is within your price range. If at a later date you wish to swop the pickups it's easy to do and not that expensive.

Alternatively, if that's too much hassle you can have mine for £5000.

Thanks all. I guess there is a pinch of salt to be taken when people sometimes talk about how great some cheap stuff is. I mean, I've seen plenty of people say their VM is great, and [i]all[/i] they've done is replace the pots and socket with better ones, added an expensive pickup, a badass bridge, new strings, a new neck and a decent setup...

I know the hardware feeling. I had an Epiphone Les Paul, and have a Gibson Les Paul. The Epi sounded good, and played well. It was a decent guitar, and very good VFM. The Gibson was basically the same thing. But the paint was that bit nicer, the neck that bit better dressed, the pickups that bit clearer, the paint that bit neater, the tuners that bit smoother, the switch that bit more solid, the pots that bit smoother...

If I hadn't been given the Gibson, the Epi would've done me fine - but the Gibson was just that bit nicer in every way (and, to be honest, before I got the Gibson I was looking for something else. I haven't looked since I got it. It's not my perfect guitar, but it's good enough in a way that the Epi wasn't quite).

Guildford's ten minutes on the train for me, so I'll have to check out Andertons.

I asked a similar question last week. If you want to buy new, and don't need to have Fender on the headstock, then a lot of the Squiers are really good at the moment. In fact I just traded away a Squier Matt Freeman Signature P which was quite superb for the money.

But don't forget used basses either. You'll get way more bang for your buck, and in fact I now have a late 80s MIJ P bass that is really doing it for me.

So, bottom line, try loads and go for the one that floats your boat the most within budget.

I'll keep an eye out for a Lakland.

Any thoughts on the American Special range? The blurb reads like it's a Highway One, without the nitro finish on the body (which I liked) or the badass bridge (which I'd like more if it didn't have Badass written on it...) and with a choice of fingerboards (which I appreciate, as I tend to prefer maple boards in looks, feel and tone).

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' timestamp='1323788488' post='1467043']
I'd look at the Lakland Duck Dunn's as well. Brilliant P basses
[/quote]

Raising that old chestnut "[b][s]How[/s][/b] Why [b]on earth do you pick a Fender Precision[/b]?" when there are many other arguably better offerings available. :)

I tried a few American Specials when they first came out because the red / black / maple one really appealed to me visually. My comment at the time was that they feel like a MIM built on a really good day, but on reflection, perhaps more accurately they feel like a MIM body and hardware with a MIA neck bolted on. If you're willing to pay for the convenience of not having to look for that special MIM that feels 98% as good, then by all means pay the premium and be happy, but I thought they were still a couple of hundred quid too pricey for that convenience alone.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323796304' post='1467212']
Raising that old chestnut "[b][s]How[/s][/b] Why [b]on earth do you pick a Fender Precision[/b]?" when there are many other [size=5][b]arguably [/b][/size]better offerings available. :)
[/quote]

Think you answered your own question... :)

Play loads and buy the one that feels right to you. Be flexible with your budget if you can. There is nothing worse than playing 'the one' if it's just outside your budget and buying a cheaper one that doesn't feel as good. You'll never be happy with it!. I have a Squier ('96 Samick built) and a '70's US in natural. The US one cost 12 times that of the Squier but I love them both. You can get 'the one' for a lot less money than you think, so take your time and enjoy the process!

LC

Fender vs. Others? Of course I'll try some others as I see them, and if I love something that's not a Fender than so be it. But for ease of resale, Fenders are pretty good (should I ever need to sell it - but the point of buying something I love is so I don't ever sell!)

I tried setting a budget. The problem is I always think, say "Okay, £400 budget" and then spot something that's just a bit nicer at £450, and rationalise that, then spot something even nicer at £500, and so on. When I was in my teens my budget was "every penny I can scrape together". Thankfully that's not the case anymore - but that also makes it harder in a way. Sure I [i]could[/i] stretch my budget and buy a Custom Shop P, but that's probably a bit(!) over the top for the amount I play and the standard I play at (which is more a reflection on a busy life, and also playing guitar and piano, than it is on how much I enjoy playing).

Re: American Special price - well, that also sums up how I feel about the MIM Classic series. £150 more for what? And then the Road Worn on top of that - another £300 again, for nitro paint and some distressing (on paper, at least). Although the two things that have stuck in my head from Sunday's shopping are the Highway One and the Road Worn (didn't play this, though). Something about the nitro just feels right.