Why become a member? ×

Which 2x12" cab.....?

mudmover

I would go 2 x TC Electronic RS112 1x12s - at around £760 new for the pair. Quality, quality cabs - and will give you a bit of flexibility for smaller gigs.

Plus ...... stack them vertically, slide the top one six inches back and get upwards acoustic reflection from the upper cab, giving you deep lows from the floor - with the top cab sound heading for your ears.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1323994596' post='1469732']
And suddenly you are not in a Rock Band and do need the tweeter. Let's junk the cab and buy something else.
[/quote]
Buy a cab with a tweeter then turn it off if you don't need it and then when you do you have it maybe....? ;)

I have a Super12T and have just swapped my Little Mark Tube for a Streamliner 600 doing the same sort of stuff a you. As a combination it sounds bleedin' marvellous, and IMO better than with the LMT.

Demo'd the Streamliner and a Shuttle when I was in the market. The Shuttle needed the tweeter right off. With the Streamliner I have a bit of the tweeter dialled in, more so with the Wal than the L2500's

EAD's look interesting, but I have not actually heard one so cannot comment, but for me theS12T works brilliantly with the Streamliner

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1324044168' post='1470173']
I use a Schroeder 2 x 12 and these sometimes come up pretty cheap - around £400. Mega mega loud and weight next to nothing. Tiny for a 2 x 12 too. Rated at 800w so any amp would do.
[/quote]
As i posted above. not in my experience, at least not with the Streamliner (this is also shared by ken Jung who really knows his stuff). Great cab but the OP can do much better with this head.

Haven't read the thread but there are two Mesa Boogie Walkabout 12" extension cabs on sale on here at present and IME having woned and sold two a year or so back it's the best 2x12 combination out there barring the two Bag Ends I also stupidly sold last year!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1324040865' post='1470100']
Buy a cab with a tweeter then turn it off if you don't need it and then when you do you have it maybe....? ;)
[/quote]

Problem with this, is that often the switches just turn off the tweeter leaving the low-pass on the crossover still engaged (assuming the cab has one) meaning it doesn't sound equivalent to cab that didn't have a tweeter in the first place, much duller in fact. I'm no rock player but I've never seen the need for a tweeter on a cab with decent midrange extension

All these different cab suggestions are fine, but essentially you're just buying Eminence drivers in a box, and nearly all the neo ones are based around some kind of Deltalite with (I think) the sole exception being the BF models which use the Kappalite. That's Eminence's top-of-the-line driver. If there's a crossover involved then that changes the voicing, as does using OEM tweaked versions of the drivers. But Alex is using both the highest spec woofers and, where applicable, midrange drivers of any of these manufacturers. Whether or not you like the styling or prefer the cabs a bit chunkier/tougher than the braced 9mm is a different matter.
For me I'd think about the voicing I prefer, notably whether you want a separate midrange, then decide if you need/can utilise the extra output on offer from the BF gear. The EAD stuff does look lovely and I bet it sounds nice as well, but ultimately it won't match the BF for maximum output and the same goes for every single other 2x12 mentioned. Of course, that's immaterial if you don't need it in the first place.

Great comments,facts feedback from all.........I really don't want to be in the position of different cabs if possible...( Ive gotta a garage full of windsurfing boards - and I only really ever use the one)...We technology geeks like to cater for all situations/ senario's and hence end up with too much gear.

Overall the S12 seems to be the overall favourite but the certainly the EAD F1212 seems held in high regard....I was also looking for feedback on the NeoX but I guess they are not so common...

I need to consult the christmas funds and see whats left...The wife hammered the card yesterday in Bristol...argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thx for all your contributions on this thread...its good to see so many voicing their feedback...its really help me and others for sure!

MM

Edited by mudmover

You still got some debating eh?, the EAD looks awesome, the S12T gets good feedback, the Neox 2x12 gets no mentions but it is probably the best value. Vanderkley also do a lightweight 600Watt 2x12" now, but I don't think its going to be the cheapest?

Whatever you decide you should go listen first, "IMHO" I don't think you can go far wrong with the GB 2x12, but you need to go try it.

Have fun choosing.

Edited by Tankdave

As above really, Try them all out with the Genz is the best way to find the sound you want.

It's always to easy to take advice from others, but tat the end of the day it'll be you playing the combination together.

I considered the Vanderkley cabs and shortlisted them a while back, but when I tried them wasn't impressed

Having not played the shortlisted three cabs i cannot comment, but my advice is simple try them all for which works out best for you.

Edited by bozzie

For what it might be worth I use a GB Neox 212T with a Streamliner 600 and it does everything I need. Lots of bottom, punchy, responsive and enough volume for me.
It's the same old story, if you can get to try out any of the cabs mentioned in this thread with your Streamliner in a band situation do.. I was lucky enough to be given the 212T to try out on a return if you don't like basis and it's stayed with me.