Why become a member? ×

Can we have a file-size limit on avatars?

BigRedX

I've been experiencing a slow down when scrolling down the page in some threads, where on hitting the page down key nothing happens for several seconds and then the page scrolls.

After a while I spotted that this slow down always happened when the next scroll was going to bring a particular animated avatar into view.

So I downloaded the avatar in question and discovered that it's a whopping 1.7MB in size! Not only that but it's dimensions are 263x113 pixels! Now I might be wrong but I can't find anywhere on the forum that this avatar is being displayed at full size, so every time it appears it's being scaled by the forum software and/or the browser, and that combined with the ridiculous file size can't be doing the forum speed and bandwidth usage any good.

On my desktop machine I've been able to use my AdBlocker software to permanently block this avatar, but my laptop currently needs to run an older version of the OS and browser and consequently the blocking function isn't working. Plus of course it's a slower machine so is being affected even more by the unnecessary size.

So can we please set a limit on avatar sizes both in terms of pixel dimensions and file size. There should be no reason to have avatars bigger than the page on which they are shown the largest which appears to be your user page where they are 142 pixels square. Also while animated avatars are fun there's no reason for them to be almost 2MB in size. Happy Jack's dancing spiderman is a nice svelte 108k.

Edited by BigRedX

On this version of the forum software a lot of the admin controls over avatar size and dimensions have been removed. It has been commented on by numerous people on the IP Board software forum and I expect a fix/update will be released in due course.

I doubt very much if the vast majority are more than 23k, just looked at mine and its 17k, mine seems a pretty average one in pixel size, colour, contrast, etc. Your right though any 'rougue' avatars may slow down a page if using a phone browser. Or if you still have 56k dial up! (surely nobody?) :) But the avarage line in the UK is over 3.8Mbps

Edited by daz

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1327768402' post='1516526']
I see that nothing's been done about this as another huge animated avatar (over 500k) has just appeared.

These are playing havoc with my laptop, any idea when the problem will be fixed?
[/quote]

My ageing laptop also can't cope with the larger animated avatars. When there's a page with a couple of different ones the browser totally locks up.

I know on other forums I go on there's an option to hide avatars. Can this be done here?

Of course the simplest option would to just limit the file size...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1328165824' post='1522801']
My ageing laptop also can't cope with the larger animated avatars. When there's a page with a couple of different ones the browser totally locks up.

I know on other forums I go on there's an option to hide avatars. Can this be done here?

Of course the simplest option would to just limit the file size...
[/quote]

Or get a new laptop :tatice_03:

I see that nothing's been done about this as another huge animated avatar (over 500k) has just appeared.
[/quote]

Sorry Sir! Funnily enough we aren't checking evey single avatar by hand.

As previously mentioned, there's no option to do what you want yet. We just recruited a new tech guy and it's on the list as Hamster said. In the meantime please feel fre to report accordingly.

wasn't there a way to block animated avatars in the "my settings" bit once - maybe the old site, maybe my memory's going?

I wonder if it is a mac thing. browsing on my pc or phone is fine, but on the mac its easier to restart the browser (and avoid that thread) than to wait for it to catch up.

I also wonder if the member is aware of the problems from his avatar? pm-ing now as I'm sure he's a nice bloke and not the kind to wish to cause upset.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1328378830' post='1526254']
Now I realise it's a Mac problem I'm wondering whether to change it or sit here and be smug about the inadequacies on Apple.
[/quote]

Well It's not affecting mine at all..... why don't we just ban them all together

[/quote]
Sorry, that'll be my fault. I fell asleep on watching people upload avatars duty :(.

I think that for some browsers the problem is being doubled by the fact that not only is the file size of the avatar ridiculously big but every fame of the animation is having to be resized on the fly by the browser as from what I can tell there are 3 different avatar sizes depending on where in the forums it's being displayed. It appears to be this re-sizing that is causing the problems for some browsers on older (slower) computers.

Every other forum I frequent has maximum file and pixel size for avatars.

I realise that if the feature is missing from this version of IP Board there's not a lot that you can do about it ATM. Here's hoping that it's fixed in the next update.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328382726' post='1526314']
It appears to be this re-sizing that is causing the problems for some browsers on older (slower) computers.
[/quote]
Time to upgrade from your Commodore 64 :lol:. I'm running a 1.9Ghz Intel Mobile CPU with 0.5GB RAM (laptop is about 7 years old) and not having any issues with avatars loading.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1328429955' post='1526683']
Time to upgrade from your Commodore 64 :lol:. I'm running a 1.9Ghz Intel Mobile CPU with 0.5GB RAM (laptop is about 7 years old) and not having any issues with avatars loading.
[/quote]
It's not the loading it's the playing (and resizing on the fly) that appears to be the problem.

Anyway I've fixed it now by upgrading the browser to one that supports a more versatile ad-blocker and using it block the avatars in question.