Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass recomendations

grossey

I may be getting involved in playing some worship in prisions in the new year.
However, have been told that amps are a no-no as they are too much hassle to search.

Therefore with these limited options, I will look to get an acoustic bass and try not to be too frustrated by the lack of volume.
Setup will probably be, bass, guitar, cajon/djembe, and prision supplied keyboard.

Anyway, are there any recomendations for a good (fretted) acoustic bass? My budget is £200 so immediate thought is the Dean Playmate. Would also consider used, prefering to stick to "known" names (ie Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, Washburn, Crafter, Tanglewood, Takamine, etc).

Can anyone recommend the best of the (budget) bunch for volume and playability? Hopefully in black to satisfy my "Johnny Cash in San Quentin" urges! ;-)

Thanks

I have a Washburn AB10 in black for sale. I chose it as it was considered one of the best at the time and I had used one before to record and it sounds excellent. I would however say that any acoustic bass with no amp will be very quiet. Not quiet as an electric bass played acoustically but still fairly quiet. On its own it is fine but add other instruments then you might struggle.

Anyway, here is a link to my one for sale.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159557-for-sale-washburn-ab10-acoustic-bass-inc-gigbag-price-drop/page__hl__washburn__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Just noticed you are in Basingstoke. I am in Camberley so you are welcome to pop round and have a try if interested.

Edited by Linus27

Thats indeed a cunning plan, but for the moment we are talking about at least 3 different prisions (anyway, we may not be asked to return!!).
But maybe we will "click" with one particular group and get the chance to make it regular. Then that idea turns into ideal.

Have you thought about the Marshall or Fender micro stacks - smaller than a book - though designed for guitars I'm sure that could take the lower end notes without too much trouble...there's also that little Vox plug in thing which is advertised all over eBay for £30ish..

Can't recommend any of the above but others might have some insight..

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='grossey' timestamp='1323269039' post='1461302']
Thats indeed a cunning plan, but for the moment we are talking about at least 3 different prisions (anyway, we may not be asked to return!!).

[/quote]

As long as they don't ask you to stay ;-)

Have you thought about a double bass?

I have a Chris Larkin fretless acoustic, which is fantastic, it came equipped with Tomastik Acousticore strings and it sounds amazing. They have a lovely slow attack and decay, and with a bit of eq it does a great impression of a double bass. I think the strings would be great on any acoustic bass. They don't have much volume "unplugged" though.

[quote name='grossey' timestamp='1323264301' post='1461192']
I may be getting involved in playing some worship in prisions in the new year.
[/quote]

Given the context, can I just check who you'll be worshipping? The guy upstairs or the one downstairs?

P

PS. Get a Double Bass.