Why become a member? ×

Ditching the rig?

MacDaddy

I love my rig, it's small, loud and sounds great and even has a cool blue light strip :)

I originally got it because I changed cars, and the boot in my new motor was too small for my the PJB rig I had.

Anyhoo, I no longer have a car, and previous bands I've been in I haven't used it. I used rehearsal studio amps, and DI'd or used provided backline for gigs. So for the last few years it has just been taking up space.

So, I'm thinking of putting it up for sale or trade. This is probably another of those do I/we need an amp threads :)

I sold my amp, for the same reason, a few years ago and if I needed an amp I would rent it. But it was such a hassle that I ended up buying a small (but loud) ashdown amp secondhand for those few and far between gigs where I had to provide my own backline. I now have a car so I bought a bigger louder flashier rig (but with no blue lights unfortunately) but I still have that little loud fella as a backup and if my circumstances change I may sell the big rig but I'll hold on to the ashdown.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1322922975' post='1457335']
I love my rig, it's small, loud and sounds great and even has a cool blue light strip :)
[/quote]
These are the words you use to start the thread. Sounds to me like you want to keep it. I don't have a car either but I use a folding trolley for my little rig and either walk to gigs (I'm lucky enough to live in the centre of the city) or catch lifts/taxis.

Seriously though, if you don't [i]ever [/i]use it then it might be more use to someone else.

Having said that I played at a jam night a while ago as part of the house band, the organiser said that I didn't need a rig as we'd DI the bass and make sure I had plenty of monitor. Turned out that I could barely hear myself all night and I really struggled. Having an amp next to me would have made for a more enjoyable night.

Edited by rOB

These threads always remind me of another big plus for class D heads that I always forget when the class D amp threads come up, I have a Shuttle 300 watt and the bigger 600 watt version with a pre amp valve, either of those can be carried in one hand yet will power any combination of (someone else's ) cabs at a gig or just used as a DI box with built in pre amp. I'm not keen on other bands using my rig but if you turned up with a mark bass / TC/ Genz-Benz etc etc head I would gladly let you run it into my 2x12 or 1x12 at a gig :)

Get a head and maybe a compact 1x12 for those times you have to use something and within reason I'm pretty sure you could play any venue including wembley arena!

I really really REALLY wouldn't be trusting most venues to supply enough decent monitoring, unless the spec is contracted and you KNOW that it will be delivered.
I would call an engr first to see what he is going to supply but I know bass is the last thing to go in wedges..so you are talking side fills ideally..
With the advent of tops with subs as a main PA..this doesn't point to the same as monitors. The carry is designed to be minimalist.

We played a large 450 capacity room last night and we need a powerful stage sound, so gone are the days where I turn up and make do with whatever is
provided and deemed sufficient.
And I needed everything my cab could give me.. it isn't the first time and wont be the last.

If you can make do with a 12" monitor for bass..then you must be very confident of your stage sound levels.
And this would mean that most drummers can't hit the skins for pish... if a wedge will keep up with him and a supposed loud gtr with his rig as you can bet he will
not be taking in a little sansamp 99 times out of a 100...!!!!

Edited by JTUK

Again, coming back from mine - my rig didn't see any action for probably about the same amount of time! And then a few months ago I needed it (no P.A. and no backline, and at an ungodly time in the morning, so would have no chance of renting/borrowing one!).

I'd say keep it, or if you do sell it, replace it with something small and cheap - just in case.