Why become a member? ×

I just ordered a Matamp :D

Ben Jamin

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1326133742' post='1492751']
Still got the 1x18 to come
[/quote]

Nice Matamps :D

Just out of interest - when I went up there was a stack of a 1x18 and a 4x10, where the signal had been split so the lower frequencies went to the 1x18, and the higher to the 4x10 - that's not yours is it?

Darn that thing sounded amazing.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1326136116' post='1492791']

Nice Matamps :D

Just out of interest - when I went up there was a stack of a 1x18 and a 4x10, where the signal had been split so the lower frequencies went to the 1x18, and the higher to the 4x10 - that's not yours is it?

Darn that thing sounded amazing.
[/quote]

Nah, that 18 is the prototype, made by Jeff so he can try and sell me one ;)

Mine should sound better than the one upstairs, at least in my opinion. My 4x10 being the first he made in this line is slightly different to the standard model sold now, more aggressive, more bass so should be interesting with the 18.

I tend to be the first to test a lot of new models, it can be a lot of fun, but also expensive ;)

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1326138705' post='1492869']

Awesome rig, Ste. What's the history with the Bass 200, how come Matamp did not develop this?
[/quote]

It's an odd one, I call it the controversy amp and think it is marked as one of if not the main reasons relationships broke down with what is now Electric Amp.

Now there is pretty much only one page on the net about this amp and unfortunately it's owned by the guy who runs Matamp USA so it's not very favourable.

I can tell you a lot of what is written is rubbish but to avoid any arguments lets just talk about the specs and why it wasn't made for more than 12 units.

Ok firstly this is a Dave Green designed and built amp, it uses some very clever features that you just wouldn't bother with these days. Built in the mid to late 90s I believe.

It's designed to use KT100s but since these aren't made anymore and are expensive and hard to find its currently stocked with 4 KT88s, the idea being that a KT100 puts out about 60w (I believe, I'm not the most technical) so when they built this amp, it was a lot harder to get parts for tube amps, they weren't popular in the music industry so there weren't loads of uk made parts available suitable for Matamps old designs, so they basically made a OD120/GT120 power section that used KT100s instead of 4 el34s. They put 2 of these in the amp creating a stereo tube amp 120w (clean) per side probably 170w cranked.

They then used another set of transformers, god knows how, to recombine these 2 sections into a mono power section running 240w (again clean) that can run at 2,4 and 8 ohms.

The next thing is it features a 2 channel preamp and it is a true 2 channel they are completely separate and use 2 tubes each, now this is odd as the website and the only other one I've seen that is owned by another BCer have 3 preamp tubes a side, so I don't know if this is an earlier or later model, it has holes drilled for the other tube sockets but there is nothing in them or any signs anything was ever fitted.

The great thing about this amp is the mid control and the design of this preamp is very similar to what is going in the new GT200 with mid control. Tonally its different to the GT200 but still got that Matamp sound, I love the drive controls on it with the 2 channel layout and switching between them. Which is the other odd thing is said BCer who has one of these, his requires and AB box to switch channels while mine is foot switch only, no matter which input you plug in, but this is something I think I can get changed down the line so it works with either an AB box or a foot switch.

Now reasons it wasn't made other than it weights a frickin ton due to the 4 transformers, basically Matamp were ale to secure transformers that would work within the requirements of the GT200, which is lighter, sounds better (IMHO) easier to produce, smaller, requires less parts inc tubes overall. This amp also runs very very hot, it's probably not the best design but it's got all the functionality of my old Mesa 400+ which was my favourite amp till I got the Gt200.

I think that covers a lot and I apologise if anything doesn't read well, I've written this on my iPad whilst watching storage wars :P

Good news! My brother was talking to Hayden earlier today and they've cleared their queue, meaning proper work on my amp is starting :D
This also means they've finished the development of the B500 - their 500W digital amp!

Hopefully I'll find out more about the B500 when I pick up my amp :)

I've spoken to Matamp about the micro amp too (ah, so its the B500?). They said it should be ready for Feb. Apparently its pretty basic with an XLR DI out and jacks for an effects send/return loop. I'm hoping Speakons. They asked if I'd try it, but located in London it seemed a bit of a trek to Huddersfield!

Oddly, when I asked about the hybrid he said they'd tried it but were having issues with mismatching operating voltages between the pre and power sections and so had stopped.

Could someone in a better position than I ask if the power section on the B500 (both?) is the same, apparently B&O, unit as the Ashdown Mibass?

Very much looking forward to the B500, it should be just what I'm looking for.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1326146063' post='1493035']
It's an odd one, I call it the controversy amp and think it is marked as one of if not the main reasons relationships broke down with what is now Electric Amp.

Now there is pretty much only one page on the net about this amp and unfortunately it's owned by the guy who runs Matamp USA so it's not very favourable.

I can tell you a lot of what is written is rubbish but to avoid any arguments lets just talk about the specs and why it wasn't made for more than 12 units.

Ok firstly this is a Dave Green designed and built amp, it uses some very clever features that you just wouldn't bother with these days. Built in the mid to late 90s I believe.

It's designed to use KT100s but since these aren't made anymore and are expensive and hard to find its currently stocked with 4 KT88s, the idea being that a KT100 puts out about 60w (I believe, I'm not the most technical) so when they built this amp, it was a lot harder to get parts for tube amps, they weren't popular in the music industry so there weren't loads of uk made parts available suitable for Matamps old designs, so they basically made a OD120/GT120 power section that used KT100s instead of 4 el34s. They put 2 of these in the amp creating a stereo tube amp 120w (clean) per side probably 170w cranked.
[/quote]

Think in effect it is like a stereo amp run in bridge mode. At a guess the output transformers are same as a 4 EL34 amp, and within range but not ideal for 4 KT88. Transformers were even tougher to get new then than they are now. At the time there wasn't UK demand for valve bass amps, everyone was rocking Trace I guess, the demand was in the States, and was enough that the US distributor was taking an EL34 Matamp and bodging in 6550 and calling it a bass amp because 'everyone knows' bigger valves is more. What you actually get is more exploding because the whole thing is unsuited, and they were getting sent back as warranty repairs. Everything all went wrong because of that and this bass amp design in progress got caught up among it, lots of shouting in northern, I'd guess prolific use of the C word.

Ok guys here's the deal with the B500.

Firstly there is nothing in common with it and the Ashdown Mibass, it uses a totally custom power section that even cranked and run for an hour at full wack only gets luke warm and thats luke warm if you are actually touching internal metal componants, the casing is still cold ;).

The amp will feature 1 input with a pad switch, drive, bass, mid, treble and volume controls.

It will have 2 speakon's out on the back along with an xlr, xlr level and an fx loop. This will also be there the power switch will be and the fan though the fan is super quiet because the amp is run so efficiently it barely needs to be cooled. It will have a pre and post switch on the DI as well

I should be getting the 2nd prototype/1st new model prototype/first one off the production line. I've already played it and as an all valve guy I can say it's very impressive solid state amp, doesn't quite have the full on girth and depth as a GT200 but then again, nothing else does. But it does sound like a Matamp, I could easily gig with one and be happy.

Tone controls work well and give a wide range of sounds, it's nice and loud at 500w but there is a 1000w version coming as well.

It's "2u" high and about half a "u" wide, I've instructed Jeff to get some optional rack ears made up in case anyone wants to put it in a bigger rig.

It is slightly bigger than the current offering of micro amps from Aguilar, Ashdown, Markbass etc but it is hand made in the UK, a similar if not lower price point than those amps and tonally a really great sounding amp.

The amp is designed with a limiter in it as well so that no matter what you do you will not be able overdrive/put the power amp into a square wave, now to ensure that the most power is achievable they will be able to tune the preamps output to the bass you use so that you are getting the maximum power out of the amp without being able to overdrive it. This is great for people that have really quiet vintage basses and find that 500w is a bit too quiet because they aren't able to drive that power section properly. Obviously this works the other way around where if you have something stupidly hot (FYI I was able to just get it to overdrive with the drive cranked, plugged into the passive input with my Overwater so it's got headroom to spare ;))

Currently they are waiting on the metal work for the cases to be finished, then I get to do a bit of the 'ole product testing, gig it a bit and feedback. If there are no issues it will go into production fully.

Hope this helps

I don't want to start a flame war, and Jeff sounded like a very nice, generous guy on the phone, so I would not want to ask him about this... but where can I read the other side of the story which is full of poison on the Matamp USA website? I presume there is a UK/Jeff version to this story?

Anyway, I am in Huddersfield and about to go there with my other amps to order something (GT-200 or a modded 1224, not certain... only my test session will tell ;-)

[quote name='tremblap' timestamp='1326458922' post='1497450']
I don't want to start a flame war, and Jeff sounded like a very nice, generous guy on the phone, so I would not want to ask him about this... but where can I read the other side of the story which is full of poison on the Matamp USA website? I presume there is a UK/Jeff version to this story?

Anyway, I am in Huddersfield and about to go there with my other amps to order something (GT-200 or a modded 1224, not certain... only my test session will tell ;-)
[/quote]

PM'd

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1326328493' post='1495689']
Think in effect it is like a stereo amp run in bridge mode. At a guess the output transformers are same as a 4 EL34 amp, and within range but not ideal for 4 KT88. Transformers were even tougher to get new then than they are now. At the time there wasn't UK demand for valve bass amps, everyone was rocking Trace I guess, the demand was in the States, and was enough that the US distributor was taking an EL34 Matamp and bodging in 6550 and calling it a bass amp because 'everyone knows' bigger valves is more. What you actually get is more exploding because the whole thing is unsuited, and they were getting sent back as warranty repairs. Everything all went wrong because of that and this bass amp design in progress got caught up among it, lots of shouting in northern, I'd guess prolific use of the C word.
[/quote]

I spoke to Jeff about this quite a while back, and that was basically what was happening, the then US Distributor was taking GT heads, revalving and selling them as bass amps. Loads failed due to the "non-factory approved modifications", leading to warranty claims, gaining a bad reputation, not helped by the distributors rantings on various websites. Also to add fuel to the fire, he then claimed the Matamp name as being owned by him, and not Matamp in the UK.

Also from Jeff, their development of a bass amp came about after the departure of Dave Green from Matamp, because he "refused to build a bass amp", which is ironic, as he now works for Ashdown, designing/building their "Hayden" line of amps. I went over there to pick up a new faceplate for my guitar amp, and asked Jeff about the circuit diagram he was working on.

[quote name='tremblap' timestamp='1326458922' post='1497450']

[/quote]

You don't want to worry too much about this Matamp USA Bile. I'm sure Mr Foxen has filled you in, but the bottom line is, two parties were involved in a business deal, they fell out, one party has much time on his hands to post stuff on the web, the other has his hands full with marine ply and tolex. If it settles your mind, a couple of years back I'd only just heard of Matamp, and thru BC'ers like Mr Foxen and Tayste_2000, and my own endeavour getting to Huddersfield, I'm the proud owner of Matamp gear, and it's second to none. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.