Why become a member? ×

Anyone out there do a lot of BV's?

hairyhaw

The covers band I'm in has taken on two new songs; "Hundred Mile High City" by Ocean Colour Scene and The Lemonheads cover of "Mrs Robinson". Up till now I’ve never really had a problem with BV’s as they were few and far between, Choruses etc. so generally not a whole lot that I had to remember. Now these two tunes require me to sing the harmonies from start to finish.

Do many of you guys and girls do BV’s? If so, how do you memorise your words? I've thought about cheat sheets with prompts taped to the back of the PA but I'm maybe a bit old fashioned in thinking it'd be a good idea to actually try and memorise them.

Any thoughts?

In the covers band I`m in, just looking at our setlist, I sing BVs on all of them - 37 songs. Plus, in that band we actually have about 60 songs we can do, and most of them have BVs. In truth, as we`re a covers band, and play all my fave songs I grew up with, it`s not difficult remembering the words.

But, when I joined a band doing songs I didn`t know the vocs to, the only way I got it was having the lyrics in front of me at home, and looping the songs on Youtube, until I`d memorised them.

Cheat sheets are ok, but try and rely on your memory first, with the sheets as backup.

Lead vocals. Unlike Mr Sinatra, never had the benefit of a tele-prompt, so simply had to rely on memory. Always found it most productive to rehearse vocal and playing parts separately, and then combine those section by section. You'll find, the more you rehearse, combining both playing and singing, it'll fall into place in time. At the beginning, with new to you songs, what'll you'll be doing is thinking about it too much. After a while, muscle memory kicks in with your playing, and frees up some brain capacity for the vocals element.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1322737706' post='1455014']
Always found it most productive to rehearse vocal and playing parts separately, and then combine those section by section. You'll find, the more you rehearse, combining both playing and singing, it'll fall into place in time. [/quote]

That's how I do it. I do BV on most of our covers, and lead on a couple of songs. I tend to learn the vocals while I'm in the car on the way to work! I find writing them down and trying to learn them actually slows things down (you end up relying on the words being in front of you). Much better to sing along to a CD in the morning traffic (even if you do get some strange looks...!)

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1322744167' post='1455173']
That's how I do it. I do BV on most of our covers, and lead on a couple of songs. I tend to learn the vocals while I'm in the car on the way to work! I find writing them down and trying to learn them actually slows things down (you end up relying on the words being in front of you). Much better to sing along to a CD in the morning traffic (even if you do get some strange looks...!)
[/quote]

Definitely true- though I sometimes have a cheat sheet which basically shows the arrangement- maybe the first line of a section wriiten out.....See if you can do the whole song with just you and the bass.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1322737706' post='1455014']
Lead vocals. Unlike Mr Sinatra, never had the benefit of a tele-prompt, so simply had to rely on memory. Always found it most productive to rehearse vocal and playing parts separately, and then combine those section by section. You'll find, the more you rehearse, combining both playing and singing, it'll fall into place in time. At the beginning, with new to you songs, what'll you'll be doing is thinking about it too much. After a while, muscle memory kicks in with your playing, and frees up some brain capacity for the vocals element.
[/quote]

Not what the OP asked but still a valid point.

Interms of remembering lyrics, reading them a couple times a day, have the song on in the car on the way to work. Everyone learns differently.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1322736558' post='1454984']
The covers band I'm in has taken on two new songs; "Hundred Mile High City" by Ocean Colour Scene and The Lemonheads cover of "Mrs Robinson". Up till now I’ve never really had a problem with BV’s as they were few and far between, Choruses etc. so generally not a whole lot that I had to remember. Now these two tunes require me to sing the harmonies from start to finish.

Do many of you guys and girls do BV’s? If so, how do you memorise your words? I've thought about cheat sheets with prompts taped to the back of the PA but I'm maybe a bit old fashioned in thinking it'd be a good idea to actually try and memorise them.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Yes, I do loads both covers and original material. We do Bohemian Rhapsody at the end of every set. When we first decided we were going to do it, it just took some time to sit down and dish out the parts to the person who's voice is best suited to said harmony. For example, I'm never going to have a blindingly high range, therefore I forfeited singing the really high parts and opted for a lot of the mid-range stuff because it's where my voice is most comfortable. From there, it's simply a case of practicing, both a capella and with your instrument. It's hard work but very rewarding providing you've got a decent arranger!

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1322745350' post='1455212']
Definitely true- though I sometimes have a cheat sheet which basically shows the arrangement- maybe the first line of a section wriiten out.....[/quote]

I have to do this with a few songs; I can be relied upon to forget at least one verse of 'Hallelujah' every time I play it, and 'Mr Jones' is a complete swine, so I just have odd words from the start of verses written on the setlist to remind me.

Other than that, it really is just practise, practise, practise!

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1322736558' post='1454984']

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

I've found that writing (handwriting, not typing) the lyrics down helps me to memorise them. Once they're in your head, singing along to the track while driving etc, keeps them fixed.

Cheers for the responses gents, keep 'em coming!

Looking at the moment that just buckling down and rote-learning it seems to work best for people.

Anybody found that they've had diffculty integrating the bass part and the singing part? I've found that some of the vocals were clearly never designed to fit in with being played at the same time.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322737650' post='1455012']
... as we`re a covers band, and play all my fave songs I grew up with, it`s not difficult remembering the words.
[/quote]

+1 ... this helps a lot.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1322748072' post='1455298']
I've found that writing (handwriting, not typing) the lyrics down helps me to memorise them. [/quote]

+1 ... this utilises different regions of the brain, and each brain-region used then re-inforces the others.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1322748652' post='1455314']
Anybody found that they've had diffculty integrating the bass part and the singing part?[/quote]

Of course - that's the challenge isn't it? Just bear in mind that a cockup on the BV's while the bass part sails serenely on will attract no attention or criticism. On t'other hand, a bass-playing cockup while singing sooper-dooper BV's will be chucked in your face for weeks to come. :)

Singing songs all the way through (when you know the lyrics!) should essentially be easier than doing desperate parts.

I have some real trouble with some of our songs. I sing BV on the odd line (often first lines of verses) here and there and have to remember where to come in and what's the right line (is this the 3rd or 4th verse after another guitar solo in a 10+ minute song) Cortez the Killer is right bugger for it. Also harder to come in on the right note like that too I find.

Another here doing bv's and occasional lead vox. As it happens I do bv's on Hundred Mile High City, not too bad once you've gone through it a few times. The ones I find hardest are songs with repeats which are similar but with slight variations. One on the back burner for next rehearsal is A Thousand Trees (Stereophonics). Not a song I grew up with and on first couple of listens sounds an absolute bugger to remember properly. I could barely keep up with it singing along without playing anything *and* with the words in front of me! I may just have to pass this on to the guitar player/lead vox man, I can use the excuse that I already sing lead on another song we do by the same band :)

I sing harmonies on most of our set, We do 'When You Walk In The Room, and I sing the same lyrics as the lead singer just a third above. This is great for him as he always forgets the words.
This is not always a good thing though, as I sing lead on a few numbers too, and last week I sang 'Brown Eyed Girl' the whole song a third above! :) Try as I might, I couldnt get my voice back on key! :) force of habit!! :)

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1322748072' post='1455298']
I've found that writing (handwriting, not typing) the lyrics down helps me to memorise them. Once they're in your head, singing along to the track while driving etc, keeps them fixed.
[/quote]
This. And the cd in the car
A music lecturer once told me that the area of the brain given over to visual memory was a lot larger than the bit that deals with musical memory, and that we have stronger retention for the visual anyway, so physically writing something down acts as a method of storing that information in the visual memory.
He suggested this was why written music was still very useful and efficient.
Always seemed to work for me, once I`ve written it out, it`s stored.
What I did do once when I had to sing lead on a couple was every time I listened to the track, I wrote the lyrics out, with all the rewinds etc. Makes you really listen and remember.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1322756123' post='1455499']
As it happens I do bv's on Hundred Mile High City, not too bad once you've gone through it a few times. The ones I find hardest are songs with repeats which are similar but with slight variations.[/quote]

And that song's chorus is a classic example! Well, I've got till next weeks rehearsal to get on top of it. Sticking it on in the car's out as the missus uses it for work, however I do have the iPod for the walk to and from work so I'll listen till I'm sick of them. :)

When I see a band play that is using a word stand or a cheat sheet all I think is "lazy git couldn't be bothered to learn the words"
Our singer will use one if we are doing a first dance at a wedding and will never be doing the song again, but that's it.

I sing bv on nearly every song we do and lead vocals on about ten songs. The worst for me is "pencil full of lead" ..... "No ain't going down till the sun comes up" really dislike that song.

Someone said write the words down, very good tip

On a tricky song it can take up to two days of playing it on repeat every time I get in the car. And a few hours here and there in the house until my wife is sick to death of it !

But when you do learn you never forget it, I can go six months or more having not sang a song and then play and sing it off the cuff.

My keyboard player reads a song once and then never needs to look at it again, makes me sick

But if you use cheat sheets you will never learn it, just spend time on it, it will stand to you forever

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1322815542' post='1456076']
When I see a band play that is using a word stand or a cheat sheet all I think is "lazy git couldn't be bothered to learn the words" [/quote]

When its really obvious like that then I have to say I'm the same, its not really doing things justice.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1322788346' post='1456021']
And that song's chorus is a classic example! Well, I've got till next weeks rehearsal to get on top of it. Sticking it on in the car's out as the missus uses it for work, however I do have the iPod for the walk to and from work so I'll listen till I'm sick of them. :)
[/quote]
Yeah it's a bit like that but if you're not singing as loud as the lead vox it's amazing how many times you can get away with switching the 'feel' and 'need' around, half the time the audience won't notice at all believe me! :) At least the words fit in with the notes being played, other songs that floor me are when there is a big difference in the rhythm of what is being played compared with being sung - Geddy, Squire, Macca, Sting all brilliant at it.

I love singing, even if its just backing. Nailing a bass line and singing a melody over the lead vocals is something I never thought I'd be able to do so easily until I just did it...and it seemed to work.

I think with singing, virtually everyone can sing to an extent. I've met very few people who can't sing.

I often have 'frontman' urges. Part of me wants to take it to another level and be a frontman, write a lot more, and sing the majority, because if so many others can do it, so can I!

I suggest listening to them a lot. Even if you don't get ALL the words, just going along with them with ohhs and ahhs helps.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1322840501' post='1456548']I often have 'frontman' urges. Part of me wants to take it to another level and be a frontman, write a lot more, and sing the majority, because if so many others can do it, so can I![/quote]

I actually did the frontman thing once, mainly because no-one else in the band wanted to do it. Realised after a couple of gigs that I wasn't mad keen on the sound of my singing voice. Much prefer blending in doing harmonies.

I sing BVs on about 2/3rds of the set, and lead vox on the other third. Generally I don't have problems with remembering lyrics (though playing and singing is sometimes tricky...)

Our main vocalist still has problems remembering lyrics, and understandably doesn't want to use a music stand. I suggested to him that he type out the first line of each verse for each song he had problems with. This usually triggers his memory for the rest of it, and since it's only one line can be typed big enough to be readable from the floor. Maybe that would help...?

Bestaluck,

BB