Why become a member? ×

yup... it's another bloody band thread, my apologies in advance

johnny_frog

Been there many times in the dim & distant past. There are always other opportunities. Actually getting a band to a place where it is gigging & recording is an achievement not to be underestimated. Keep trying, you [u]will[/u] find the right people to play with!
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='johnny_frog' timestamp='1321298067' post='1437519']
it's ok... am in 2 (maybe 3 after a discussion I was having on saturday night) others... they kinda run out of phase so as one goes phut another picks up. just annoying tis all.
[/quote]

The number of people I would have murdered to be in 2 or 3 bands at once! Lol jk but you get the idea.

I recently left the band I started 4 years ago as the singer was behaving like an ar*e and constantlly moaning about everything. So I buggered in the direction of off. Then the guitarist had the cheek to send me a text saying how they were dissapointed that I had left along with the pa cables and mikes that I had paid for myself. That was after I told them that they could keep the mixer and the speakers that I had a third share in. Some people.

I think that most bands need a social worker attached to them.

Jez

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1321300395' post='1437560']
Band Social Worker :)

Musical ability is only a small part of the band experience. Finding 4/5/6 people (specially "artists") that get along in sometimes trying circumstances is pretty difficult.

You people!
[/quote]

Plus the one, 'like' button and quoted in the Famous Quotes thread.

Currently looking for a guitarist who sings, never been in a 3 piece band before...

Singer left the band after booking 10 gigs for us to play. Although he didn't tell anyone until we started talking about a rehearsal.
His reason being "his heart wasn't being in a band". He was happy that we carried on though.

Although a week later after we did a gig he booked us and left 3 day prior to, he was really upset that we carried on under the same band name and played the set we had been rehearing the past 3 months.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1321485553' post='1439899']
Although a week later after we did a gig he booked us and left 3 day prior to, he was really upset that we carried on under the same band name and played the set we had been rehearing the past 3 months.
[/quote]

Bizarre - Like you were all going to suddenly come up with a new identity and set list at that short notice. Some of these guys are in a world of their own. Which band are you in now? if it is Nottm based I'll keep an eye out for you.

Bands have a set shelf life, IMO..but that singer sounds an idiot and you are better off without him, if that is how he carries on.
At least you have gotten the 'disappearing act' over with..as he surely would have pulled this stunt at anytime in the band's life.

I'd try and make a point that he misses being in your band, rather than you miss him..

I'm finding harder than ever to find a half-decent band to join/help establish. I'm far from a virtuso but never cease to be amazed by how delusional some "musos" are in terms of their ability, the effort and commitment needed to get/keep a band going etc. I wouldn't trust some of them to sit on the toilet the right way round, let alone be a functioning, contributing member of a band! The whole business of advertising and auditioning is proving a tad painful.

I wonder that percentage of new bands ever get to the gigging stage, let alone sustain it?

Funny innit. You take people who are, by day, reasonable and sensible - put them in a band and they become total plonkers of the highest magnitude. Life became a lot easier as a musician when i decided to be more ruthless which meant:
[list]
[*]Droppping projects that i thought weren't working or moving fast enough
[*]Playing with people i might not particularly be drawn to but respect musically
[*]Sacking people who do not pull their weight
[/list]

Doing this whilst at the same time still trying to keep an element of fun has been a challenge as i am not normally decisive :) but has really helped my musical life. One of the most important things is to try to make sure that everyone involved has the same goals and outcomes in mind.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1321298287' post='1437526']

The number of people I would have murdered to be in 2 or 3 bands at once! Lol jk but you get the idea.
[/quote]

don't misunderstand... i'm very aware of how lucky i am band wise... if you'd ever heard me play i'm sure you'd find it positively miraculous i was in any bands at all.

am just bemused as to the fact that after several months of slog getting set lists agreed and learned and adjusted and nailed and tightened the whole thing goes bang just as we get going in (to me anyway) the fun bit that we've been working for... gigging.

At one point, I was in 5 bands at the same time here. Funnily enough, the one that I wanted to be in the most, was the one that never really gigged and is currently falling to bits due to loss of keyboard player and everyone being too fussy about what we played and how we played it as we'd all been searching for "the" band that was going to satisfy us all in every department.

As I've got older, I've decided to not just say yes all the time. I know I'm lucky to have all these opportunities to play as I would only pitch myself at average ability but it still has to be fun, musically satisfying and, whilst playing with people who's company I enjoy. Seems the hardest thing to do is to marry up all these requirements. Obviously a fair few of you manage to achieve this but I don't seem to. Best I can muster is that I do enjoy the company of those I do play with. The other points seem to be missing.

Bands are bloody hard work.
Especially if you don`t want to throw away all the work you already put in.
I`m in the position of having rehearsed a decent set for 4 months only to have the singer have a massive falling out with the drummer and his bro keyboard player after 3 gigs...
I should have left then, but I just couldn`t stand to lose all that hard work. (I had de-constructed all the songs, the chords for keyboards,the structure and lyrics etc and spoon fed them to the incompetent keyboard player who proudly insists "there is no such thing as a wrong chord"). Unless you`re in a covers band mate...
So I stayed with them on the assurance they had another singer they could drop in immediately as she knew the set already.
OK thinks I, at least we can do the gigs on the calendar.
Only,she didn`t know the set, and what`s more, didn`t like half of it when she saw it, rejecting nearly half of the songs and putting forward songs of her own.
She also hadn`t been told that we had gigs on the calendar that needed covering asap.
So does the drummer who`s band it is step up and say "well, we need to gig in two weeks, so please learn these first, then we can work on replacing some with your choice"? Nope he just says ok, we need 6 songs and looks at me.
So I`ve lost 3 gigs wages (because she won`t do the show as it is)and I`m once again working on more songs for these two lying clowns,purely because I need the gigs still on the books and I`m determined that we do them.
Although to me the need to get the new songs into the set seems urgent, they don`t seem to want to work on them for more than 90 minutes a week, turning up for 1pm rehearsals,getting set up by half past, then insisting on finishing at 3 because blah blah blah.
So yes, ruthless is what you need to be to avoid this type of situation.It`ll take ages to find the right people but if you do, then it just might last.
Life is far too short to be involved with high calibre knobheads.