Why become a member? ×

Rush - Time Machine Tour Blu Ray / DVD / CD

wateroftyne

OK.. the Blu Ray hasn't arrived yet, but I've had a listen to the CD.

My God, it's terrible. Rush live CDs have never sounded great, but this is one of the worst. It sounds like a bootleg. Compressed, lifeless, echoey... why do they do this? Are they going deaf? Don't they care?

If you're thinking of buying it, don't. Record the DVD / Blu Ray soundtrack on an old cassette player from an adjacent room instead. It'll sound better and save yourself a few quid.

Rant over.

(By the way, the first person to say something along the lines of 'It's Rush. of course it sounds terrible. They [i]are[/i] terrible!' wins the wooden spoon of unoriginality.)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1320780824' post='1431388']
I'm a huge fan, but I won't be bothering with this. I simply don't have the time to wade through four or five hours of DVD which is probably very, very similar to the last one and the one before that. I've watched the R30 DVD once, in installments and that came out six or seven years ago!
[/quote]
I kinda see your point, but... two words. Camera. Eye. :)

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1320780807' post='1431386']
Oh bugger - I was looking forward to that too. They were fantastic when I saw 'em in Manchester earlier in the year.

Perhaps I'll play it on a CD player in an empty adjacent room and pretend I'm standing outside the stadium, listening in.
[/quote]
Don't bother with the 'adjacent room' bit. It'll sound like that if you listen in the same room.

Hmm, I'll see if I can find some samples. I have to say, I saw them on the Snakes and Arrows tour and the sound was fantastic, at the same venue on the Time Machine tour the bass was a little mushier and it sounded a little bit boomy. Still a great show though, I really enjoyed it. Realistically though, we'll never see Rush playing small venues with masterfully scultped sound again.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320800316' post='1431723']
Hmm, I'll see if I can find some samples. I have to say, I saw them on the Snakes and Arrows tour and the sound was fantastic, at the same venue on the Time Machine tour the bass was a little mushier and it sounded a little bit boomy. Still a great show though, I really enjoyed it. Realistically though, we'll never see Rush playing small venues with masterfully scultped sound again.
[/quote]
Were you at Newcastle on the TM tour? Where I was, it was so boomy as to be almost unlistenable. I mentioned this to friends who were there who said the spund was spot-on where they were. I must have been in the middlle of a standing wave or something.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1320823551' post='1431773']
Were you at Newcastle on the TM tour? Where I was, it was so boomy as to be almost unlistenable. I mentioned this to friends who were there who said the spund was spot-on where they were. I must have been in the middlle of a standing wave or something.
[/quote]

I was. You could well have been in a standing wave. As I say, the sound quality was noticeably worse than the first time I saw them there, but not so much that it was unlistenable, at least where I was stood, which was further back than the first time.

Edited by Chris2112

Don't think I've ever heard a good live Rush sound in person. Sheffield for both S&A and TM tours it was muddy and bassy despite being in very different parts of the arena. I tried Sheffield as previously seen them at Birmingham (HyF and R30) and the sound was ropey for those as well.

This put me off. Geddy is struggling to reach the high notes these days. I'd rather remember them as they were.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeJxxuBg5c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeJxxuBg5c[/url]

Edited by BassBus

Presto was the last album I truly love. Thought most of Roll the Bones and Counterparts was dull, although I still love Cut to The Chase. Test for Echo makes me cringe now, but I did like a lot of it when it came out. After that they lost me really. Although I buy all their albums out of some sort of duty.

Yes, between Counterparts and Test For Echo they seemed a bit lost. Hardly surprising really, in the musical swamp that was the 1990's. The technical, poppy songs they'd done for the late 80's didn't suit mass market tastes anymore, and Presto and RTB had slowly re-focused their rock edge. But they seemed a bit aimless, doing simple rock songs and hiding a great 'Rush' track on each album. Vapor Trails really brought them back, when they had to say "if we want to do this, then lets do this".

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1320890103' post='1432913']
Presto was the last album I truly love. Thought most of Roll the Bones and Counterparts was dull, although I still love Cut to The Chase. Test for Echo makes me cringe now, but I did like a lot of it when it came out. After that they lost me really. Although I buy all their albums out of some sort of duty.
[/quote]
I feel pretty much the same way, although I think RtB and Counterparts are OK.

Their weakness since then, IMO, is that they've stopped writing [i]songs.[/i] Now it's just a lumpy collection of riffs cobbled together in ProTools, with Geddy shoehorning in a melody almost as an afterthought. Some of the phrasing sounds so forced.

Also, what happened to the classic instrumental breaks? Y'know - Freewill, Camera Eye, Marathon, etc. etc. etc?

And why doesn't Geddy write great bass parts anymore?

And why are Alex's solos so contrived?

But, like Silddx... it's Rush, so I'll buy their records anyway.

Hold you fire was indeed a fab record - whoever said that!
I just got the dvd - you can hear the struggle for some of the high notes but lets be fair, they were high notes in the first place and vocal ranges do change after so many centuries of playing. The performance is vibrant and as for sound, well, everyones a sound guy these days aren't they? Like everyone at a football match knows 'what the manager needs to do'..
Side tracking to everyone who complains about a rush sound live - its pretty straightforward; big boomy room, coupled with loud band who play an awful lot of notes in every frequency; going to be hard to get that refined really. I think we should celebrate a band like this being able to exist and look at the positive aspects rather than being too analytical.:)