Why become a member? ×

"Instant rebate" on Fender/Squier kit

Mr H

I just noticed that GAK are currently running a rebate scheme on Fender and Squier basses and guitars and amps. Up to £90 off the expensive stuff, smaller rebates on the less expensive stuff (£25 off a VM Jag bass, for example). I don't know whether it's a money-off-at-checkout thing (as the name of the promotion implies) or a cashback-with-voucher thing, I don't know how long it's going to last, and I don't know if any other retailers are doing the same, but somebody may be interested.

I have no affiliation with the retailer, except as a previous customer.

Now then, do I [i]really[/i] want a VM Jaguar?

EDIT: amended thread title because it isn't just GAK running the promotion.

Edited by Mr H

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1320533136' post='1428200']
I just noticed that GAK are currently running a rebate scheme on Fender and Squier basses and guitars and amps. Up to £90 off the expensive stuff, smaller rebates on the less expensive stuff (£25 off a VM Jag bass, for example). I don't know whether it's a money-off-at-checkout thing (as the name of the promotion implies) or a cashback-with-voucher thing, I don't know how long it's going to last, and I don't know if any other retailers are doing the same, but somebody may be interested.

I have no affiliation with the retailer, except as a previous customer.

Now then, do I [i]really[/i] want a VM Jaguar?
[/quote]

I've just bought a CAR VM Jaguar Special SS on the Fender cash back scheme (I'm not going to name the retailer at this point). It was £166 after the cash back with free delivery which is a fantastic bargain & it duly arrived next day.
Initial impressions were good, fit & finish were excellent, no flaws anywhere in the finish, neck joint looks good & tight & the action was low with the intonation set up perfectly (the first time I've ever bought a new bass where I've not had to tweak the truss rod or alter the intonation), this must have been how it left the factory as the box had not been opened. The problem came when I plugged the bass in - with both volume controls on full the bass sounded really good with a nice Jazzy sound but the output seemed very low. On further investigation turning the J pick up volume down & the P pick up up full left the bass with virtually no output at all on the P pick up - in fact the D/G side was producing a very slight sound but nothing at all from the A/E side. I've read a few online reviews where the reviewer has said that the Jazz pick up is not as loud as the P but none where the pick ups have not worked.
It's a real shame & I'm really disappointed as the bass plays & sounds really good - so good that I almost decided to keep it & fix it myself but it's going to go back (I took the control plate off & checked for loose wires but they all seem to be soldered OK). This is why I haven't named the retailer as yet as I didn't want to associate them with this problem. However I'm a bit surprised the bass wasn't checked by them prior to dispatch & it now remains to be seen how they deal with this. I'll keep you posted.

**Update**
Contacted the retailer (Soundslive) on Monday, they arranged to collect the bass on Tuesday, received it back on Wednesday & checked it over then sent a replacement out which I received on Thursday.
I think that is great service & their customer service dept. was a pleasure to deal with. I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Edited by tazza1

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1320784422' post='1431480']
stashing the danelectro longhorn in a telecaster guitar case in plain sight was pretty good. It even felt empty as the bass is so light
[/quote]
Impressive. To work that particular trick is it necessary to own a Telecaster and, if so, where do you hide the Telecaster?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1320782736' post='1431440']
I really fancy a VM Jag SS, but I've already got basses hidden everywhere I can hide a bass & the missus would definitely notice a new candy-apple red one.
[/quote]

That's why I got my missus to buy my Jaguar!! I've got 5 basses hidden in our garage that she doesn't know about (three in "empty cases" the others under my daughters stored furniture. The trick is to buy them all in the same colour. She doesn't seem to take much notice of the shape but will notice a new colour :). If I'm ever asked "is that a new bass?" I always answer "no, you remember this one,you've seen it before - I've had it years/I got it when I first started playing/it's that one my parents bought me before I met you (delete as appropriate). Mind you I live in constant danger because she keeps threatening that we are going to have the garage converted into another room. There's no way I'll be able to move all of them out in time if she suddenly decides to tidy the garage up - I know eventually that I'm a dead man but hey it's been fun!

• 2 months later...

Today was the last day this was available. I had some store credit with GAK, and Mike Fallon gave me an amazing deal (really good price!) on a new American Standard Precision in White/Rosewood/Tort and this was the last day I could say 'yes' to the price because they all go back to £1050 or whatever tomorrow.

It's being ordered in new, which is great. I always told myself 1 P bass is enough, but Im lying. 1 with nickel rounds and 1 with flats is the way forward.