Why become a member? ×

Just joined

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1320264430' post='1424638']
Fantastic! Thank you so much Silddx - hadn't got that far in my exploration of this site :)
[/quote]
There is so much to explore! I sometimes wish I was a n00b again, it felt like a massive treasure chest and very exciting!

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1320264129' post='1424632']
Absolutely. Bass playing has helped me deal with turmoil in my life in the last few years (splitting up with my partner after 16 years, finding an entirely new group of friends, coping on my own financially, that sort of stuff). Music is medicine for the mind.
[/quote]

Yay! I can relate to that. The split with my partner (after a mere 11 years) is the main reason I started learning to play bass. It's been an abosulute tonic. And I'm sure I wouldn't have practised every night if he'd still been there cluttering up my flat with his presence.

And I'm a gurl, and I'm left handed. But I play right handed since both my hands are equally incompetent fretting or plucking :)
It's a lot of fun on here, hope you enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a member for one month today, and very happy I am that I joined. Threads that are both interesting and fun, friendly discussions, a wealth of info to be found both in past threads and in expert members' very helpful replies to my recent questions, and the knowledge that there will always be someone who shares your experiences.
Thank you all for making me feel at home here. Keep up the good work.

• 10 months later...

First anniversary bump! I've been a member of Basschat for exactly a year today, and loved every moment. I can safely say that being part of this community has not just helped my cofidence as a - still very amateurish - bass player, but also changed my life for the better by allowing me to meet a fantastic group of friends in person, as well as giving me several equally great long-distance (BC/FB/email) friendships.
I'm also delighted that I've been welcomed as a regular poster by the whole community and invited by the owners and admin team to help a little with running the site (on Twitter).
Here's to many more years as a happily active Basschatter, and hopefully as a bassist. And to all you guys and gals, a big thank you for collectively being by far the best online community I've ever been a part of. I hope life is/will be as good to you as it has been to me so far.

Happy anniversary Bluejay! I can pretty much second everything you have written above. BC has helped to give me a massive confidence boost. I've learned loads and it has been great to meet some of you in the flesh.
Especially you, my sister! :)

Hope we can meet up again soon.

Shell
x

Hi Ellie! Yup, another Warwick fan here - they're small and sound great, even the cheapo versions I have :)

If I compare my list of gear in my first post with that in my present sig, I notice I must have given in to a certain amount of GAS during these 12 months... :rolleyes: But it's obviously not over - GAS is never really over! :D

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1351884101' post='1856647']
Hi Ellie! Yup, another Warwick fan here - they're small and sound great, even the cheapo versions I have :)

If I compare my list of gear in my first post with that in my present sig, I notice I must have given in to a certain amount of GAS during these 12 months... :rolleyes: But it's obviously not over - GAS is never really over! :D
[/quote]

:D They are great basses. They can feel a bit heavy though, my fretless certainly is after a night of gigging lol. I nearly decapitated my guitarist with the Buzzard once! :o

I agree GAS is never really over :lol:

GAS acquires a different dimension when you play left-handed, because you have to deal with the additional problem of finding out whether the model you'd like to have actually exists as a lefty... that can result either in you not being able to spend your money, or you having to spend more than you planned at first.
I'm still gassing for a real double bass which I still would have no space for in my flat, and which would have to be a decent "native" lefty - making the whole idea a very long-term dream of mine :gas: :rolleyes: :D
As for the occupational hazard of decapitation by bass-neck, I suppose it's not as bad as decapitation by egomaniac guitarist or mike-swinging vocalist prancing around... :lol: