Why become a member? ×

Just joined

Silvia Bluejay

Hi there!

Leftie bass girl from West London. Been looking at this forum for a little while, but I'm still a long way from reading all the threads I would like to read...

I play two Warwick Rockbasses, a 4-string Corvette and a 5-string Fortress, and a Harley Benton upright (in photo), which I turned left-handed myself.

Since I don't play in a band I only have a practice amp, a 20W Peavey. I don't use any effects - I like to keep the sound of my basses free of trickery. Stuff can be added to the signal later, if you are so inclined.

I'm rather eclectic in my taste - big fan of heavy metal, but also crazy about disco (loove its use of 7th chords and octave tricks!); moderate fan of fusion and jazz. I don't mind pop music either, when it's good (as in properly composed).

Hope I can be an active part of this community! Back to reading some more threads now :)

Thanks Liam. Yes, Rockbasses are good - I got them both from Thomann in Germany, and their price was even more competitive in Euros (at the time Sterling was stronger than it is now).

I'm still dreaming of getting a 5-string Warwick Corvette, though, as opposed to a Rockbass. The good thing with Warwick is that they sell all models in left-handed versions with no surcharge and no need to wait.

I'm also lusting after an NS Design 5-string upright, which would have to be turned left-handed by a professional.

All I need is a lot of money which I haven't got at the moment...

Heh, Rk, life is tough, innit :)

Believe me, I did try playing right-handed bass guitars when I was starting to learn. I have a left-handed friend who learned it that way so that he could enjoy the wider choice of models right-handed players have, and he insisted I should try and do the same. But I must be wired differently, because I simply couldn't persuade my right hand to pluck correctly, while it immediately seemed to take to fretting in an OK manner (given that I was a beginner).

So leftie bass guitar it was, and I'm delighted.

Hello bluejay from a another west Londoner. There are some serious bargains to be had on the second hand Warwick Market. I've had a few German Warwicks, including a superb Corvette $$. I sold them all like a damn fool and went on a bass journey, but after a year without them I just had to go back. I now have a fabulous chrome Streamer with an ebony fingerboard which I adore!

There is a Lefty Marketplace on here which you may find useful http://basschat.co.uk/topic/36318-big-lefty-market-thread/page__st__1000

All the best :)