Why become a member? ×

Paul Turner is now playing a Fodera!

molan

Just spotted an article in MiPro that talks about Paul Turner signing up with Fodera NYC via a partnership with BassGear :)

[url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/bass-gear-teams-up-with-jamiroquai-bassist/015892"]http://www.mi-pro.co...-bassist/015892[/url]

Looks like a cracking bass and I've done some searching around and found that he's been using it live with Jamiroquai on a couple of gigs already.

In the past I've only ever seen him with a lovely vintagey Alleva Coppolo and a few of his old vintage Fenders so this is a bit of a departure for him.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Paul and he really knows his basses, definitely the most knowledgeable player I've ever come across and he has an amazing 'ear' for tiny little subtle differences between individual basses, body and fingerboard wood types, pickup position, pickup age, string types etc.

Really interesting that he's chosen to go with Fodera as a new gigging bass, would love to see/hear what it sounds like live :)

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1319666126' post='1417145']

Expect the PT style and tone will come across regardless of the bass he's using at the time...
[/quote]

I guess that's true of lots of pro players.

I must admit that I've heard Paul on one of his old J's, my '63P and then a brand new Fodera Monarch and there was quite a difference in tone between each - however this was at a distance of about 3 feet and I was the only other person in the room so a bit different from a monster PA at a Jamiroquai gig, lol.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1319666471' post='1417151']
The New York City bass that is manufactured in Japan? My head hurts.
[/quote]

It's complicated, lol.

All materials come from Brooklyn - woods are selected from the Fodera stockpile & shipped to Japan for carving and routing etc.

The guys that do the work were trained in the Fodera shop and Joey Lauricella & Jason DeSalvo (two of the three Fodera partners) visit regularly to help on quality control stuff.

The bodies & necks are then shipped back to USA for assembly & finishing by the same guys that make all the customs.

I really can't see how this saves them a bean in production costs as Japanese labour must be as expensive as New York!

All I can say is that the newer NYC's Ive seen have all been, as PT puts it, "flawless", easily a match for any NYC Sadowsky I've owned.

I love Paul's playing a lot and have had the pleasure of meeting him and he really does know his stuff. But he is a bit faddy with gear, he's swapped and changed between a number of 5 strings (notably an F-Bass, Stingray 5's, AC's, a few others and now the Fodera). The point is that he sounds fantastic whatever he plays. I always love him most when he's on his 1966 Jazz.

Also, I'd kill for his Aguilar setup!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1319847284' post='1419425']
But he is a bit faddy with gear, he's swapped and changed between a number of 5 strings (notably an F-Bass, Stingray 5's, AC's, a few others and now the Fodera).
[/quote]

The man is clearly a gear tart and should really be on Basschat.......:)