Why become a member? ×

1u digital power amp with jack input option - recommendations?

Shaggy

Apologies if this has been covered before, couldn't see the answer I was asfter on a search

I've got an Ampeg SVP-pro preamp that I'm considering pairing with a 1u digital power amp for a decent lightweight backup rig to the Eden VT.40 head I use for gigging. There seem to be quite a few around the £200 mark on ebay, but just wondering;

1. Any makes / models recommended? None of the brands are familiar to me, and are obviously mainly aimed at DJ / PA applications
2. From the few that list the specs it seems the inputs are invariably 2 x balanced XLR's; understandably rear panel space is bound to be pretty cramped compared to a conventional 2u power amp. As I DI I need to keep the DI output from the pre to run to the desk, so are there any 1u digital power amps that accept the unbalanced line out (jack) output from the pre? Or can I split the DI out to run to desk and power amp?

Any thoughts appreciated!

i run my svp into a soundtech ps802 ([url="http://www.soundtech.com/products/home-recording/ps802/"]spec here[/url]) in exactly the way you describe and it works a treat.

sadly i'm not sure whether they're available these days...iirc i got mine from smart sound direct, who don't seem to be in business any more.

ok - so not the most helpful reply, but at least you know it can be done :)

Edited by ahpook

There seems to be quite a few of these around nowadays. I'm possibly after one. I was offered one of these the other day

http://www.eurobaltronics.com/eng/products/synq-digit-2k2-digital-amplifier-2-x-1100w-rms.html

I need to spend a bit of time doing some research. I've been a bit busy recently. There were a few replies to a recent thread of mine too with other recommendations.

I got this from eBay a while back and it's superb. No name on it but it works really well and has done so for a few years now

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/P290109_183401.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the inputs:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/P290109_183502.jpg[/IMG]

Great, thanks for the help fellas - looks like thios is def do-able then

Think I'll get 2 of these and bi-amp (not!): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Audio-MA3-0-Lightweight-1u-Power-Amplifier-3000w-/150674725384?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2314e9da08

What's your budget and what power output do you need ?

Have you maybe thought of a used Markbass F1 or maybe one of the Markbass modular amps ?

With an F1 you have 500 (real watts), a small head for smaller gigs and reliability. I've read that a lot of these obscure class D amps have in reality nowhere near the output that they're described as having, and there are reliability issues with some of them.

I was going to get a class D power amp to go with my Alembic F1X, I'm probably just going to use my F1 though. It's very loud, it's reliable and why spend £300 or more on something that I don't need. I can just plug it into the effects return socket, bypassing the F1's preamp and just using the power amp section.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1318785438' post='1406182']What's your budget and what power output do you need ?

Have you maybe thought of a used Markbass F1 or maybe one of the Markbass modular amps ?

With an F1 you have 500 (real watts), a small head for smaller gigs and reliability. I've read that a lot of these obscure class D amps have in reality nowhere near the output that they're described as having, and there are reliability issues with some of them.

I was going to get a class D power amp to go with my Alembic F1X, I'm probably just going to use my F1 though. It's very loud, it's reliable and why spend £300 or more on something that I don't need. I can just plug it into the effects return socket, bypassing the F1's preamp and just using the power amp section.[/quote]

As it happens, yes - I've been looking hard at the Markbass and TC Electronic amps, and portability is definitely a major plus with those.
Adavantages of the pre/power set up are (1)it utilises a very nice pre that's languishing in a rig too big and heavy for my current needs ( http://basschat.co.uk/topic/109149-ampeg-us-made-300w-all-valve-racked-amp-head/page__hl__ampeg+rig__fromsearch__1 ) and (2) if the power amp dies terminally it's less of a big deal than if a modular amp craps out. As I'm only using the power section for stage monitoring at the moment a low-powered cheapo power amp would do me fine TBH, but makes sense to get a tidy powerful one for full backline option.

Ta for the advice though - may yet get an integrated digital amp, but fairly sure I wouldn't bother putting the SVP through it.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1318797948' post='1406368']
I can recommend the Chevins. I regret selling mine to John :). The A500 will bridge 700w into 8ohms. It is lush beyond.
[/quote]

:) [s]If[/s] When I find one I'll let you know.

Edited by bigjohn

I've been thinking about selling the two Crown XLS 602s that we use with the band and getting a couple of Peavey IPR 1600 power amps.

I've not read enough about them to make a decision but I know that Peavey have a reputation for building reliable gear from personal experience and a power amp coming in at 3.2kg is mighty tempting

Edited by Delberthot