Why become a member? ×

5 day shuker course

Tait

[quote name='lwtait' post='164890' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:54 PM']afraid not, I've got a gig! (bet you can't guess which bass I'll be playing :huh:)[/quote]

Don't you have to let it hang for a week to let the finish harden?

[quote]PS. jon's going, though.[/quote]

Good news :)
I owe him several beers ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='165051' date='Mar 28 2008, 09:05 AM']Don't you have to let it hang for a week to let the finish harden?

Good news :)
I owe him several beers ..[/quote]

Let's hope he's not driving.. as I think he'll probably have a bar full of pint glasses to get through! I'll drop him a message see if he can bring some logo'd T-Shirts!

DONE! It's been a long day, we had to go on longer than usual because of a dodgy switch and then the tone circuit gave of feedback whenever the treble was right the way up, so I can't really be bothered to give a long description of what I did today. basically it was flattening then buffing the finish, then just putting the hardware and electrics in. heres some pictures of the finished thing anyway.

[attachment=7017:shuker_day_5__2_.JPG]
[attachment=7018:shuker_day_5__1_.JPG]
[attachment=7019:shuker_day_5__4_.JPG]
[attachment=7020:shuker_day_5__3_.JPG]
[attachment=7021:shuker_day_5__6_.JPG]
[attachment=7016:shuker_day_5__5_.JPG]

Congratulations. Your sense of achivement must be huge. I'm really impressed with your skills and ability to take onboard Jon's tutelage. As for me, I'll just content myself with knowing it was a spoke shave :)

Well done and, again, congratulations. It's a bloody lovely looking instrument.

i just got back from a rehersal for a gig from 10am-6pm. i played my bass for songs ranging from wonderwall, wonderful tonight and sunshine of your love to paranoid, walk this way and paradise city (to name a few). it sounds great for them all - absolutely brilliant! the only problem is that its quite a heavy bass, and weight is extremely noticable when you're playing for 8 hours with a five minute break between each song.

it was a really enjoyable week, and I'd definatly reccomend the course to anyone (even if they have no woodwork skill whatsoever). it was a lot of hard work, but it was well worth it. you get an amazing week and a brilliant bass at the end of it. it just goes to show - you really can buy happiness... for £950.

john_the_bass, i don't know what you do if you want a solid colour or a sunburst, but the course is a 5 day course so you don't get any longer on it - no matter what you want.

macdaddy, ped and anyone else who asked how it played and or sounded - the answer to both is AMAZING! i carved the neck myself, so its exactly what i want in a neck. i chose the pickups, controls and tone circuit myself so the sound is also exactlty what i wanted. there's a bit of neck dive, but for a bass that shape it's to be expected.

pockethammer, it hasn't really got a name to be honest, I've just been calling it my new bass. although me and my dad joked about it being called the taitycaster (tait is my surname) so if i had to name it that's what it'd be called.

You should get a TottyCaster sorry, TaityCaster name decal made up - Jon can do it if you ask him nicely :)
Oh and a nice wide strap will help with the weight problem, and a little with the neck diving too.

All in all that's a brilliant thread and result. Well done!