Why become a member? ×

Are there too many Fenders?

4 Strings

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1317918535' post='1396274']
The rest are just parts bin variations of essentially those. Look at say A Ford Focus. There are 5 basic models and then all the optional extras. All the different variations of a Precision are nothing more than the basic model with various optional extras.
[/quote]

I'd say that the problem then is that its too hard to work out which model you need to buy to get a particular set of specs. Instead of having eighteen different precision models listed on their website they should have two or three, and then have different options available for each one. The current way is really confusing (for me, at least).

• 2 weeks later...

I think having options is all well and good but surely that's something for the custom shop/other brands?

I agree there are too many, I would much prefer a standard bass or even a Jap or American and still just have 1 of 3 colours, 2 fretboard choices and just the JJ/P pickup configuration depending on what bass.

I think as much as basses, it's more so the series that's out growing, have one limited series a year and standard all year, every year?

It is stupid having so many though. The more lower end models they bring out, it drives the higher end up and up.
Back 3years ago (dispite the times and "inflation") I could have bought a Marcus Miller 4 and 5 string together, less than the 5 string alone today and still have change to buy a hard case, combo and ect ect :)

The one thing I hold Fender for is being "simple" and that's what we love, right? if I wanted anything sophisticated, I'd save up and buy a Dingwall for no more than thier top end, stock looking models.

Here's hoping Fender start to wind down and just stick to quality than quantity.

I think there are too many which seems to be done purely for marketing purposes rather than giving the consumer maximum choice - unless there is a new product launch (even as a revamped current model) the music mags will not review/reature/talk about it and, the consumer won't have it thrust in their face.

I understand that most people think it great to have the choice, but typically choice only appears on the 'net as most stores will only stock a limited selection of what is available. Then there is the added confusion of all the Fender clones - whether they be high quality clones/updates or lower priced copies. When I started playing in the mid seventies my mind was 'bogled' by seeing a couple of variants of a Fender P (maple and rosewood 'boards), two Fender Jazzes, one with a 'bullet' truss rod, several copies from Aria/Ibanez - upper priced copies, to Sakai - lower priced copies, and then there was a Ric with checker board binding next to a Ripper bass............................now, what was that Mary Hopkins song?

Stick with what you know seems to be the order of the day. Look at Gibson with their Les Paul and SG - fifteen million variants of the same 2 models. People keep buying 'em, so they keep making 'em. Gibson tried to be diverse and even sometimes a bit wacky in their bass department and look where it got them :)

I love Fenders, but having tried many, and having bought many as well, I`ve found that the US Standard Precision is the one that suits me best.

I can see why they make so many different models - people always trying to improve - I was like this, replacement bridges, pickups etc, til I realised I liked the standard Fender sound as it was meant to be - so it makes marketing sense for them to try to cover all, excuse the pun, bases.

But, in real terms, surely all those people would have just bought the Fender Standards, and done their own mods anyway?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1317917534' post='1396245']
...would like to see this as a cheaper model.. Geddy's red flame maple Jazz.. but this is a custom shop bass, so i guess they dont want to take too much away from there custom shop division...
[/quote]
Didn't see this before... that's it, my Jazz GAS has become too much to bear. I'm going to have to make one of these!

In answer to the OP my feeling on the subject is that it is a great thing that there are as many Fender as our pocket can afford, I feel we've never had it so good. I welcome all the re-makes of the classic as well as the innovation or some may say re-shuffle of old concepts. My favourite Jazz basses were a Squier 82 JV series and a ESP Series 400 which were both stolen from me in a house move Yes the removal firm truck guys didn't see them being nicked believe it or not, I got a large compensation but never recovered or found two similar basses until recently I bought a 2011 American Standard Jazz and a Precision, which are as good if not better than the two I've lost, both in built quality, weight and I must point out that the pickups in these new basses are superb, hence I am convinced that Fender has realized that quality sells more than quantity. So keep 'em coming is what I say.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1317915168' post='1396205']

Am I getting old or is some of the magic - whatever that is - being lost?
[/quote]

An age of endless distractions, none of which have helped me play any better -- my problem, that.