Why become a member? ×

Help! What else is out there that has a simular tone to my grabber and T-40?

cocco

Hi all, I've become disenchanted with a fair few of my basses since I made the change from my old Ampeg gear to my new Orange gear. With the ampeg stuff my Stingray, Jazz and SB ruled the roost but since it's gone and I've gone all Orange I'm finding that the 3 of them although still sounding bloody good, don't have a patch on my Grabber and T-40. So the question is what to do? Do i sell/trade the others? I don't feel very attached to any of them, none have any sentimentality or anything, but what do I aim to get to replace them? Something passive with atleast one humbucker but what? A ripper? A thunderbird of some description? Another T-40? What else is out there that might fit the bill?

My own biased opinion aside... :) I think the Washburn Idol bass is very underrated, and has a great tone pretty cheaply. It's passive with two pickups, and there's one on ebay at the mo (not mine):
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-Idol-WB66-Bass-4-String-/180732008998?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14779a26#ht_500wt_1156"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-Idol-WB66-Bass-4-String-/180732008998?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14779a26#ht_500wt_1156[/url]

I've got 2 Rippers, one maple/ebony and one alder/maple. I like them because they're comfortable to play, but I know a lot of people don't like how they sound. I found problems with the electrics on both of mine, and that didn't help. I can now get a sound I like out of them, but on one position of 4 on the pickup selector. They're pretty complex electrically, without delivering much usable variety. IMHO.

[quote name='telebastard' timestamp='1318152671' post='1398489']
The solution to your quandry is simple.

1.Get your Ampeg amp back. (Why would you ever give it up for Orange??)

2. Get a Fender, G&L, Squier or Burns Bison bass

3.Get rid of that wimpy Gibson and worthless PV !!!
[/quote]

I was going to like this and agree with it wholeheartedly, then I read points 2 & 3.

Get a Fender is some of the lamest advice I've ever heard!

1.Get your Ampeg amp back. (Why would you ever give it up for Orange??)

2. Get a Fender, G&L, Squier or Burns Bison bass

3.Get rid of that wimpy Gibson and worthless PV !!!
[/quote]

You're going to struggle to top this for a first post.

I second getting the Ampeg back; buying a Fender is [b]not[/b] the answer, trust me; keep the Gibson, much cooler, unless you like looking like the last guy, who looked like the last guy, who looked like the last guy, who looked like the last guy who also played a Fender.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1318422180' post='1401886']You already know the solution to the problem, don't you??? :)

Here it is. :)

Cheers. :)

[/quote]

Eric stop taunting me! Is that the one you're selling?

Also to the orange and gibson unbeliever come have a play then make a judgement, I promise it will shut you up :o

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1318426860' post='1402000']
Eric stop taunting me! Is that the one you're selling?

Also to the orange and gibson unbeliever come have a play then make a judgement, I promise it will shut you up :o
[/quote]

Ha. :o

Not this one but almost identical.
Been using it for the last 3 months.
A cracking T-40!! :)

Get rid of that wimpy [s]Gibson[/s] and worthless PV !!!
[/quote]

Oooo! Harsh but fair if you like Mudbucker Telecaster Bass. Understood. :)

Cheers. :)