Why become a member? ×

New Moon Music Insurance

Lee-Man

I know nothing about this (and will find out), but if its Hiscox Insurance, they are a fabulous company that usually specialize in "high net worth" policyholders (i.e., rich).I love dealing with Hiscox in my job (drainage claims!), as they are a pleasure to talk to and very customer focussed.

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1317069264' post='1386440']
I know nothing about this (and will find out), but if its Hiscox Insurance, they are a fabulous company that usually specialize in "high net worth" policyholders (i.e., rich).I love dealing with Hiscox in my job (drainage claims!), as they are a pleasure to talk to and very customer focussed.
[/quote]

Great, thanks for that, sounds very positive.

Any one else?

Wow, cheap!

And if it's underwritten by Hiscox the actual policy should be ok, I guess the customer service side from New Moon is just more of an unknown quantity.

What does anyone else think about Public Liability cover? I've never bothered before but not sure if I should......

Can't remember who does mine, but for about £15k of stuff it cost me £349 - not claimed in the past 5 years though.

For Public Liability cover, join the Musicians Union. It comes with your membership.

Just as a dig, I might add, don't expect your card or any documents to come through until a month before your membership expires though (11 months and no Public Liability cover yet haha - record eh?)

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1317165339' post='1387679']Can't remember who does mine, but for about £15k of stuff it cost me £349 - not claimed in the past 5 years though.

For Public Liability cover, join the Musicians Union. It comes with your membership.

Just as a dig, I might add, don't expect your card or any documents to come through until a month before your membership expires though (11 months and no Public Liability cover yet haha - record eh?)[/quote]

I've looked at MU, but it says you have to be a professional musician, which sadly I am not.

My New Moon quote was only £76 for all my gear inc. theft from an unattended vehicle and £1m public liability! Seems almost too good to be true......

Ones to watch for are the exclusions (what they won't cover), geographical limits (REMEMBER that countries like Norway, Iceland and Croatia are NOT in the EU), theft from vehicle specifics and what the claims procedure is.

£76 on the "natural" or the "harmonic" quote? Allianz have always been good for me - plus you get £2000 free sums insured with MU membership. Will be looking into this New Moon one though, could save a few quid!

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' timestamp='1317207632' post='1388014']
Ones to watch for are the exclusions (what they won't cover), geographical limits (REMEMBER that countries like Norway, Iceland and Croatia are NOT in the EU), theft from vehicle specifics and what the claims procedure is.

£76 on the "natural" or the "harmonic" quote? Allianz have always been good for me - plus you get £2000 free sums insured with MU membership. Will be looking into this New Moon one though, could save a few quid!
[/quote]

It was £76 on the Harmonic policy. They seem to be nice and clear about the specifics of what they do and don't cover, especially with reference to theft from unattended vehicles. They say that they know not everything fits in a glovebox or boot, but as long as it's not in plain view and all security features on the vehicle are activated (basically), that's ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently with Allianz but thinking of switching to New Moon when my policy runs out in a few months.

Does anyone know---if a bass or amp gets stolen from the stage/venue whilst you're setting up / loading out, will these policies cover it? Thats always the point where I'm most paranoid about it going missing.

Here's what it says:

theft from any unattended premises unless all doors and windows have been securely locked and the theft involves entry to, or exit from the premises by forcible and violent means. This does not apply to your insured equipment or your musical accessories which have been left at any school, classroom or storeroom under the direction of an educational authority or rehearsal room, concert hall, examination room or music venue under the direction of the music organiser, conductor or examiner for less than 24-hours.

The UYFN (under your effing nose) element in insurance is such a grey area most insurers will try to get out of it. In my experience if you walk into a venue, pick up your amp, walk out, walk back and your guitar is gone the insurer will class the venue as unattended for the period you were outside (same as if you went inside leaving your boot wide open!) HOWEVER! Does this fall under the "music venue under the direction of the music organiser" bit? Perhaps. Definitely worth a call if you often load out when there's still a room full of strangers in attendance.

I just crunched some numbers and saw that Newmoon offer £144 versus Allianz £166 AND I wouldn't have to have MU membership to qualify as I do with Allianz - so that's another £150 saved and I don't have to have my messages go unanswered for days by the lazy, useless MU! Happy days

I renewed my house contents last month. It was £120 for £30K of cover which covers all music and photography gear inside the house. That includes an extra £30ish I paid to cover my gear outside the house. I've never bothered with seperate insurance for music gear, and when it's this cheap with house contents I don't really get why you would?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1318324716' post='1400438']
I renewed my house contents last month. It was £120 for £30K of cover which covers all music and photography gear inside the house. That includes an extra £30ish I paid to cover my gear outside the house. I've never bothered with seperate insurance for music gear, and when it's this cheap with house contents I don't really get why you would?
[/quote]

You might find that if you're using your equipment in any professional capacity (ie do you get paid for your gigs) then suddenly your home insurance won't cover it. Or maybe it won't cover things left in an unattended vehicle. You'd need to read the exclusions carefully.

But to be honest I'm not sure---its a good question. My exisiting instrument policy runs out in a few months, I'm going to do a lot of digging before I renew!

I was with Music Guard for a good few years. It was pretty cheap but there were so many exclusions. The only time my gear was covered was if someone stole it from right under my nose - which was never going to happen anyway.

Most of us don't drive vehicles with blacked out windows so amps etc are almost always going to be visible in unattended vehicles and therefore excluded. You could always throw a blanket over it I suppose.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1318331567' post='1400603']

You might find that if you're using your equipment in any professional capacity (ie do you get paid for your gigs) then suddenly your home insurance won't cover it. Or maybe it won't cover things left in an unattended vehicle. You'd need to read the exclusions carefully.
[/quote]

This is why my old MIM has been a staple of live shows - very cheap on the self-insurance front! :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1318331567' post='1400603']

But to be honest I'm not sure---its a good question. My exisiting instrument policy runs out in a few months, I'm going to do a lot of digging before I renew!
[/quote]

I never get paid for gigs so should be fine. I asked if it would be covered in the car and at rehersals and gigs, and they said yeh if I take out the extra cover which was £30ish. I do often worry as they can tell you whatever they want on the phone if you don't read the small print (which I CBA to do).

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1318346576' post='1400933']

I never get paid for gigs so should be fine. I asked if it would be covered in the car and at rehersals and gigs, and they said yeh if I take out the extra cover which was £30ish. I do often worry as they can tell you whatever they want on the phone if you don't read the small print (which I CBA to do).
[/quote]

You really should check the small print... I've seen where people have been paying insurance for years then find when they need to claim and they couldn't. Bad insurance is no insurance.. either make sure you're covered or save your money and take the risk..

on the MU front, they are a but of a pain, but they are good at getting you money when you get ripped off for a gig or general legal advice.. reminds me (must renew Mu) :)