Why become a member? ×

Mike Rutherford's early '70's bass sound

molan

So here I am lounging on the beach in Naxos and discover the beach bar has free wi-fi!

I've been having a bit of a '70's live prog fest with Yes and Genesis and have just been listening to the remastered version of Genesis Live for the first time in about 20 years.

Mike Rutherford's live sound seems much more aggressive than I remember hearing from the studio albums, especially on the opening track, Watcher of the Skies. It's actually interesting to hear how his tone changes from song to song, with a much mellower sound for the next track and hen somewhere in between the two for the third.

At times it's very Chris Squire sounding and I'm pretty sure he was also using a Ricky during this period.

I wondered if anyone knew what sort of amp setup he was using in those days? Maybe an overdriven Ampeg?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1316604877' post='1380202']
He certainly had a Rickenbacker on the go plus fuzz pedals and a Shergold but I can't remember what amps he was using.
[/quote]
He wasn't using the Shergolds this early on - it was a Rickenbacker & a Microfrets bass as I recall.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1316601485' post='1380111']So here I am lounging on the beach in Naxos and discover the beach bar has free wi-fi!

I've been having a bit of a '70's live prog fest with Yes and Genesis and have just been listening to the remastered version of Genesis Live for the first time in about 20 years.

Mike Rutherford's live sound seems much more aggressive than I remember hearing from the studio albums, especially on the opening track, Watcher of the Skies. It's actually interesting to hear how his tone changes from song to song, with a much mellower sound for the next track and hen somewhere in between the two for the third.

At times it's very Chris Squire sounding and I'm pretty sure he was also using a Ricky during this period.

I wondered if anyone knew what sort of amp setup he was using in those days? Maybe an overdriven Ampeg?
[/quote]

I am pretty certain it's not an Ampeg. As for the changes in tone, Rutherford would occasionally switch to the guitar part of his double neck, and rely on bass pedals for the low end. In fact, on The Musical Box, he doesn't touch the bass at all.
It is a fantastic bass sound, I've always considered the tone on this album as a good example of a 'clean' Rickenbacker - albeit one with very new strings.

Yeah, MR started using Shergolds in the mid/late 70s. The Microfrets was around for The lamb Lies Down on Broadway in 1975, before that his double-neck Ricky was around for Selling England era gigs.

The Genesis Discography [url="http://cyberreviews.skwc.com/gendis.pdf"]http://cyberreviews.....com/gendis.pdf[/url] lists his Foxtrot era gear as follows:

Custom build Zemaitis 12 String Acoustic Guitar
Rickenbacker 12 String Guitar
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
`Mr Bassman' Bass Pedals
100w Hi-watt Stack
Acoustic 370 Bass Amplifier
Acoustic 201 Cabinet

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1316601485' post='1380111']
So here I am lounging on the beach in Naxos[/quote]

Nice! I had my honeymoon there exactly this time last year. Make sure you have a bite at Maro's. Lovely down to earth place with brilliant food and service. It's on the roadside up behind St George's beach just along from the court square.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1316601485' post='1380111']At times it's very Chris Squire sounding and I'm pretty sure he was also using a Ricky during this period.[/quote]

The comparison isn't surprising - there are plenty of photos on the net of Rutherford with a Fireglo RM1999 at this time - same model as CS's. If you tap Watcher of the Skies into youtube you should locate a TV studio performance against a white background - he's using it on that.

Enjoying Naxos, sitting in the beach bar watching the sunset now :)

There is a lot of nudity on the beaches here though, most of it older German couples and a lot of older single guys as well (which I kinda expected, lol).

Not a lot of body hair around though, really quite unpleasant when a shaved naked 60 year old strolls less than a metre away on the beach :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1316619727' post='1380493']
Enjoying Naxos, sitting in the beach bar watching the sunset now :)

There is a lot of nudity on the beaches here though, most of it older German couples and a lot of older single guys as well (which I kinda expected, lol).

Not a lot of body hair around though, really quite unpleasant when a shaved naked 60 year old strolls less than a metre away on the beach :)
[/quote]

Less than a metre away??? That's not a stroll that's assault! :)