Why become a member? ×

Which small light weight amp head?

Davy

I am selling [u]ALL[/u] of my old bass set up (guitars included) and starting over from scratch.

I have identified these small lightweight but powerful amp heads and would welcome any recommendations/comments anyone has:

TC Classic 450
Ashdown MiBass 550
Gallien Krueger MB500
Markbass Little Mark III

In terms of my previous amps I have used mainly Trace Elliot GP12s and Ashdown MAGs, which I know realise were a backward step from the Trace Elliot stuff.

I will use the new amp with a 4x10 cab, make yet to be decided but it doesn't have to be the same manufacturer as the amp head.

From the list, I`ve only got experience with the TC Classic 450, which is a very good amp - powerful, and very versatile. I`d recommend it to anyone wanting an amp that can cover all bases.

Dependent on what sounds you`re going for, if rock/punk is your thing, the Ampeg PF-500 is worth checking out. Ampeg sound, in an amp that costs less than £400, and that can be carried in a lap-top bag.

Tried a lot (GB Shuttles, LM Tube, LM Rocker, PF500, Orange Bass Terror) had a LMIII, had a Classic 450, now settled with a RH450, which is going nowhere. It all really, really depends on what sound or type of sound you're after. Trying them out is the best way, really. And it's a lark, too. Have a think about cabs and what you want from them, too (lightweight? small? doom?, etc)- try and test them together.

I wouldn't have an Ashdown on your list until they've been proven reliable this time around - don't get me wrong, I still have 2 first series abms in the house, but IMO they aren't putting out the same quality they used to.

As has been said already genz Benz should be on your list. I'd also add the orange terror if you like a bit of valvey goodness, but not if CLEAN 'clean' is where you're at.

Try whatever you can...

Based on my own move from a Trace GP12 4x10 combo to an RH450, I suspect you'd have no problem at all moving to the TC Classic 450.

I'd have been happy with the Classic 450, but had to have the RH450 for the built in tuner, and the way cooler looks.

However, with the Classic 450 you do at least get a dedicated compressor control, which otherwise you'd have to go up to the RH750 to get.

Whatever you get, though, as long as you do some listening, you're almost bound to be delighted with in terms of weight/size reduction and ease of transportation.

I'm definitely leaning towards the TC Classic 450, probably with the BC410 cab with a view to upgrading to an RS410 cab at some point in the future when funds permit.

I like the idea of the Ashdown but I had a Superfly which was brilliant(if a little under powered), when it worked!

Which just leaves the Markbass and the Gallien MB500.

I can demo the Markbass in my local music shop (Sounds Live) but they don't have a TC Classic 450 or a Gallien MB500 in store and they don't even stock any Genz Benz gear which is a bit of a pain.

I'll try the Markbass in store but I think I like the sound of the reviews I've read about the TC.

My major worry with all of the amps is that they will all probably sound great in store but get a drummer and guitarist behind them at a gig and will they be able to cut it...............................

Edited by Davy

On my old MAG600 I tended to have the bass control at 12 o'clock and the mids cut right back with the top end about 9 o'clock which I think on the old Trace Elliot graphic would have been a V-shape od sorts.

I don't like loads of top end zing and farty middle, I suppose I like a quite smooth bassy tone with a little bit of click on it, if that makes any sense!

I'm also starting to question my need to have a 4x10 cab and possibly consider a 1x15, maybe with a 2x10 cab on top. I suppose I'd better look to see if there is another topic about that one.

I recently did the same thing - changed to lightweight gear. I play rock covers, went from a Trace Elliot set up with the pre-shape selected as it suited me. Sounds like that is similar to your mid-scoop arrangement.

As far as the head goes I tried everything in the lightweight head ranges that were in stock at both PMT Southend and Bass Merchants in Colchester with no preconceptions other than I fancied the Orange Terror Bass. As has been said already you really need to try before you buy if at all possible - I had discounted Genz Benz, for example, as what I had read about them made me think the sound would be too 'brittle'. When I tried it I immediately knew I didn't want the OTB but I loved the Genz Benz. In the end it was a close thing between the Genz Benz and the TC Classic 450. I ended up with the Classic 450 which goes through a BF Compact. As has been mentioned - the onboard compressor and (especially) the tubetone are both handy and very useable.

My fear was always that it would be a compromise, and that I wouldn't have the same sound as I got from the TE gear - wrong!! More clarity, just as much presence (more, in fact). And shifting around a 16kg rig compared to 60kg+ rig is a no-brainer.

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1316611383' post='1380350']
Based on my own move from a Trace GP12 4x10 combo to an RH450, I suspect you'd have no problem at all moving to the TC Classic 450.
[/quote]

And, just to elaborate, my decision to move lightweight was based on using another player's Shuttle 6 & Neox-212T, which sounded FAB.

I'd have been happy with that, as it sounded great, but on further digging round the market, realised that the RH450 was the one for me. I'll admit that I'm facile and that its looks really won me over, but I also preferred the more flexible EQ section, plus the compressor and the tuner.

It's nearly lunchtime and Sounds Live is literally just over the road from my office so no prizes for guessing where I'm going in a few minutes!

I don't think they've got a TC Classic 450 in stock but I might try the BH500 head and the combos to get an idea of the TC sound, although I appreciate that they won't be as good as the Classic 450.

I'll probably try the 1x15 and 2x10 combos just to see what the difference speaker combinations do for the sound. They have the two combos side by side so I can do an A-B with the same eq settings.

Will report back............................................

Edited by Davy

Well I've just been trying the TC BG500-115 and BG500-210 to give me an idea of what the Classic 450 might sound like and I have to say that I was impressed by both of the combos.

I really liked what the spectracomp did to the sound and I have been thinking about a compressor pedal for a while so this is a great feature.

Both combos sounded much better than my current setup (Ashdown MAG600 into a Peavey TVX210 cab) and had much better bottom end clarity, even with the volume on full, sorry Sounds Live!

For me the pick of the two combos was the 210 which actually had better bottom end clarity than the 115.

I picked up a TC BC410 cab while I was in and it was really light so that has made up my mind, I'm going to get the Classic 450 head with the BC410 cab.

The real test will of course be at the fist couple of gigs and I'll report back once I've gigged them.

Sounds like you had a great time!

+1 for the built in compressor - great to save on carrying other bits of kit. And, just before you settle on the Classic 450, you're *sure* you wouldn't miss the built-in tuner from the RH450...? :)

The BC410 would still be too big & heavy for me, though a 4x10 is fun! How did you find the sound compared with the other cabs? And, BTW, did you get to try a 2x12 cab (TC do one in the BC line-up, but don't know if they'd have had that one in your shop)? I went from the Trace 4x10 to the Genz 2x12 with no regrets at all - it certainly goes louder, and has a massive bottom end when required. If you fell in love with that, then it's 7kg lighter, smaller and quite a bit cheaper.

In an ideal world I'd have the RH450 but to be honest I'm pushing my funds to get this rig and one of the bands I'm in requires that I tune flat and I'm not sure that the built-in tuner does this.

I didn't actually try the 4x10 cab but the 2x10 combo had loads of punch and the 4x10 will give me a bit more volume and spread.

No 2x12 instore but I would wouldn't rule one of these out in the future, it'll depend on how I get on with the 4x10.

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1316693902' post='1381521']
In an ideal world I'd have the RH450 but to be honest I'm pushing my funds to get this rig and one of the bands I'm in requires that I tune flat and I'm not sure that the built-in tuner does this.

I didn't actually try the 4x10 cab but the 2x10 combo had loads of punch and the 4x10 will give me a bit more volume and spread.

No 2x12 instore but I would wouldn't rule one of these out in the future, it'll depend on how I get on with the 4x10.
[/quote]
Built in tuner in RH450 tunes whatever you want :-) It will just show the note with # sign, so instead of E you will tune D#...
And btw, it's simply genius, powerful, lots of tone... the best head I've ever had!

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1316693902' post='1381521']

[/quote]

Well... The RH450 tuner is a full chromatic tuner, so it'll tune any note, including sharps/flats. Video [url="http://youtu.be/2MduwbmU6zo"]here[/url]. I can't tell you how much better it is to have a tuner that's *always* there, with no need to worry about batteries and extra bits of tut.

And, BTW, just *if* you opted for the 2x12 cab, the price you save over the 4x10 would just about cover the extra cost of the RH450. Does depend on the cab you want, but don't buy the 4x10 only because that's what you've already got. I went from a Trace 4x10 to a 2x12, which goes louder and, in my view, sounds way better - not to mention being lighter and more compact for travel.

All that said, the Compact 450 & 4x10 should still be a great sounding combination, just make sure you won't have any pangs of regret 6 months down the line!

I know the RS cab range are better and nicer looking than the BC range but they are a bit out of my price range at £549 compared to £289 for the BC212 but I suppose you get what you pay for.

I've just noticed that the BC212 is only 250w while the BC410 is rated at 500w at 4 ohms which will let the amp head kick out it's full power.

I still think I'll go for the BC410 for now and perhaps upgrade to something like the RS212 in the future.

I might push the boat out for the RH450 but I can't see the Spectracomp on the front panel. Does it have a compressor?

I have a Gallien Krueger 1001 RB II and its an awesome bit of kit and something that you can built cabs around over time. I'm new to all this but my limited experience says that its a head that will offer power, clarity of sound and value for money especially at the price that Soundslive are offering it at. Having said that be prepared to wait because they are awaiting stock and delays can be considerable.

Oh and like everybody else has said try loads, you will know the one for you instantly when it comes along.

Happy shopping.

BH12neil