Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jazz - love story & question of pickups

mcnach

I bought a Squier VM Jazz a couple of months ago between soundcheck and a gig outside of town (that, kids, is using your time efficiently :))

I like this bass a lot, although I felt the pickups were a bit polite.

I did a couple of rehearsals with it, and it was ok, but nothing fantastic. I have to admit this was at a rehearsal place that has pretty crap gear and the acoustics are not much better (but one of the band members works there so...) and my Stingray never sounds amazing there either.

Last night I had a gig and I took the Jazz along with my own amp etc.
And it made me smile.

I really really liked it. Now I am not sure whether to replace the pickups or not. I like the sound these produce, I am not sure I want to get something with a very different character. This one has a very traditional bass sound (oh, and I'm keeping it passive, that's a first for me!!! :)) and live through my own rig the sound was much better than what I had experienced before. I still feel it could do with a tiny bit more "punch"... it's hard to describe. I feel very tempted to keep them in...

But the other thing is that I tend to use the bridge pickup alone a lot. I'd say it's bridge 80% of the time, both pickups 15%, and neck alone only 5%. This means I get some hum most of the time. Last night it wasn't bad. But I know the place and it's not a very hum-prone place. At another venue it could be a different story. So I guess I will start by shielding the thing, and see how it goes. But the idea of humbuckers is in my mind.

So... I would be after some kind of humbucker that still sounds very "traditional jazz", if such thing exists. I want growl on the bridge, that retains its punch when I roll the tone control off, but not ultra nasal. Not looking for lots of highs. The neck pickup I'm not very fussed about. I like it warm and fat, but mostly I want it to blend with the bridge nicely so that when I have both pickups on I have a nice mid-scoop, not so pronounced that my bass disappears from the mix, but a clear hollow "honk" when playing with the tone control open, which can become a wall of bassiness as I roll the tone off.

Any ideas?

Edit: I wrote the above while the site was offline, on Saturday. Since then I have been looking and listening to samples... and I am leaning towards trying a pair of DiMarzio Model J on this bass. Yes, not exactly traditional... but it seems it has a bridge sound I would like. Has anybody got experience with these?

I too have a VM and realy like the pickups as they are. What I did do and you are adament you wont is stick an Audere JZ in it and it makes a BIG difference just like a J-retro does (Which Im popping into the fretless Im making). Why break a habit of a lifetime, go Deluxe, you know you want to :)

A

EDIT to say, theres always The Wizards :) and with a JZ/J-Retro you dont have the VVT setup

Edited by apa

as another owner of a VM fretless with a fretted p-neck (a sue ryder in my case) i have to echo Darkstrike, the pups have to be pretty close (as close as you can really) then they really sing. i wan't too impressed with mine in a band situation till i moved the pups, now it's just awesome. (but i am thinking of a preamp when i have some spare cash, probably a j-retro)

Matt

Edited by Matt P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1316542403' post='1379481']
Edit: I wrote the above while the site was offline, on Saturday. Since then I have been looking and listening to samples... and I am leaning towards trying a pair of DiMarzio Model J on this bass. Yes, not exactly traditional... but it seems it has a bridge sound I would like. Has anybody got experience with these?
[/quote]
I've not tried the Model J,but I have the Ultra Jazz pickups in my main Jazz Bass and they sound great and are humbucking. They
are definitely worth checking out.

My twopennies-worth is to keep it as it is.
I've kept everything standard on mine- which isn't what I intended when I got it.
I enjoy it for what it is, a cheapish mass-produced instrument from Indonesia which punches above its weight.
The time you put into modding it could be spent playing it and keeping that smile on your face. :)

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Very interesting to see how so many people are more than happy with the stock pickups, although this is deeply subjective and dependent on expectations and usage :)
They are certainly not bad pickups on a live band setting, contrary to my initial impressions at home!

I was interested in the "pickup close to strings" comment, because over the years I have preferred -in general- to put the pickups farther from the strings rather than closer. Certainly something worth playing with.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, eh?
I was actually impressed by both the Model J and Ultra Jazz on my search.
I found a site comparing both pickups in various styles... They were not miles away from eachother, and sounded good... I preferred marginally the fingerstyle sound of the bridge on the Model J in teh clips I heard. Both were certainly giving a type of sound I am fond of, from the bridge pickup. Lots of presence, without excessive treble, not harsh. The Ultra Jazz seemed to have a nice slap sound and generally sounded very good. Just the Model J had the edge slightly on bridge fingerstyle punchy creaminess, which is what I like best about a Jazz bass.
I was put off the Ultra Jazz a bit after finding many comments stating the sound with both pickups on is very mid-scooped, more than with other pickups. That's not something I want. I mean, a Jazz with both pickups on will be quite mid-scooped, so I don't want to go for something that will enhance that even more. It would sound nice alone, but might get lost easily in a band context... What do you think about that? Is that "enhanced mid-scoop" an exaggeration?
The Model J didn't attract that kind of comments. Looks-wise, I prefer the Ultra Jazz with its traditional looking pole-pieces... but that's just a minor point.

Preamp...
Well, that J-Retro is still in my drawer :)
I'm thinking that the Jazz is one bass I prefer passive. Well, if I had a second Jazz, it WOULD inherit the J-Retro. For sure. But as nice as that preamp is, it made me lose something I really liked about the passive Jazz tone, so no preamps on this bass. At least not this week :o (never say never! :))

I got my VM Jazz last month and think it's amazing quality for the price paid. I too was a little underwhelmed by the pickups but I think this was down to my last bass having active Duncans with an Ibanez preamp. I found that the Jazz was lacking a little ooomph for me and being a fan of a more modern sound I decided to purchase a set of EMG JX active pickups. These are arriving tomorrow and I'm hoping they add that little something that I feel is missing from the bass' tone.

I'll let you know how I get on with 'em.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1316595994' post='1380022']
I was put off the Ultra Jazz a bit after finding many comments stating the sound with both pickups on is very mid-scooped, more than with other pickups. That's not something I want. I mean, a Jazz with both pickups on will be quite mid-scooped, so I don't want to go for something that will enhance that even more. It would sound nice alone, but might get lost easily in a band context... What do you think about that? Is that "enhanced mid-scoop" an exaggeration?
The Model J didn't attract that kind of comments. Looks-wise, I prefer the Ultra Jazz with its traditional looking pole-pieces... but that's just a minor point.
[/quote]
I don't find them to be really any more mid scooped than any other Jazz,although in fairness I usually use the bridge pickup
soloed or with a hint of front. I fitted a series/parallel switch too,and when in series they sound really fat and warm. Either
way,I've never had a problem with it getting lost in a band context.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1316605401' post='1380215']
I don't find them to be really any more mid scooped than any other Jazz,although in fairness I usually use the bridge pickup
soloed or with a hint of front. I fitted a series/parallel switch too,and when in series they sound really fat and warm. Either
way,I've never had a problem with it getting lost in a band context.
[/quote]

That sounds reassuring, thanks. And yes, a parallel/series switch is on the horizon. I did that mod to another jazz a couple of years ago and I liked it a lot.

Right now I am leaning towards just trying whichever set I happen to come across sooner, either Model J or Ultra Jazz. We'll see. I'll report back.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1316612643' post='1380362']
That sounds reassuring, thanks. And yes, a parallel/series switch is on the horizon. I did that mod to another jazz a couple of years ago and I liked it a lot.
[/quote]

I was going to suggest that you do a series/parallel mod before you bother changing pickups completely...the mod you did to that jazz in question sounds immense. :)

I use Wizard 84's in my S1 Jazz because the stock american pups were a bit polite. I probably would have been happy with 64's or 74's.
So thats overwound 84 pups + series switch = hum free growl or thump a plenty. Simple to use and impolite. If I ever get a Jazz bass without it, I will be making a series/parallel switch modification.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1316613090' post='1380368']

I was going to suggest that you do a series/parallel mod before you bother changing pickups completely...the mod you did to that jazz in question sounds immense. :)
[/quote]

It does! :)
I stupidly sold that bass locally... and I have seen it in action at a gig afterwards... I almost cried. Incidentally, the new owner is also on this forum. I still want that bass...

But it does not sound like a bridge pickup alone can sound, which is what I use most of the time.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1316618583' post='1380461']
I use Wizard 84's in my S1 Jazz because the stock american pups were a bit polite. I probably would have been happy with 64's or 74's.
So thats overwound 84 pups + series switch = hum free growl or thump a plenty. Simple to use and impolite. If I ever get a Jazz bass without it, I will be making a series/parallel switch modification.
[/quote]

I thought the Wizards were standard single coils... :)

Model J and Ultra Jazz; I have owned and loved both (got Model P/J in my RBX actually) and they are the best pickups i've ever used. They both have plenty of guts, punch, and presence, although I would say the Model Js are more what you're after. They are a little more traditional sounding, although obviously still very ballsy and absolutely silent. The Ultra Jazz are hotter (a proper punch in the guts!) and have more top end.

I believe that the Model Ps and Js were the some of the first "off the shelf" Fender replacement pickups available , and apparently they haven't really changed.

I've had the DiMarzio model P/J set, which I put in a Peavey Zodiac BXP and was very pleased with the results. Soloing the bridge pickup, no hum (being a side-by-side split coil) and provided the sounds I associate with the Jazz bridge pickup, only with a more output. It did the smooth roll-off-the-tone sound and the burpy bridge pickup sounds very well. As a bonus, I also think that the Model P/J is the best looking pickup, with its black hex poles.

As someone else mentioned, try adjusting your pickups closer to the strings (although it won't eliminate the hum). It's always the first thing I try, if I think a pickup is a bit tame-sounding.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1316630295' post='1380718']

I thought the Wizards were standard single coils... :)
[/quote]
They are. It's only the series mod that stops the hum. It doesn't sound like a P bass to my ears like the promo bumpf suggests, but does create a very usable sound of its own, and if you don't like that then you can go back to a traditional j pup configuration at the flick of a switch.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1316681126' post='1381231']
They are. It's only the series mod that stops the hum. It doesn't sound like a P bass to my ears like the promo bumpf suggests, but does create a very usable sound of its own, and if you don't like that then you can go back to a traditional j pup configuration at the flick of a switch.
[/quote]

Mighty option, I'll definitely add it on this bass at some point.
By the way, the "both pickups on" setting is already humbucking, whether in series or parallel, that does not change.

If I find a set of cream-cover Model J, I'm so going to buy them :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1316630241' post='1380716']

It does! :)
I stupidly sold that bass locally... and I have seen it in action at a gig afterwards... I almost cried. Incidentally, the new owner is also on this forum. I still want that bass...

But it does not sound like a bridge pickup alone can sound, which is what I use most of the time.
[/quote]

It was me you sold it to!! :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1316719038' post='1382003']

It was me you sold it to!! :)
[/quote]

Ha! Steven! The "uncle psychosis" name threw me out! :)

Sorry I can't make your gig, I got your email, I have a gig of my own that day. Let me know when the next one is, so I can go and cry some more looking at that bass :)