Why become a member? ×

Richard Bona

Pete Academy

A lovely traditional voice too - he grooves great on his solo albums, and does his own Fretless thing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1p3GbiPNR4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1p3GbiPNR4&feature=related[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1316548404' post='1379613']
I dig Richard Bona,but sometimes he's just too much like Jaco in both his tone and phrasing. I much prefer him
when he's doing his own thing,like he was at Bass Day the other year where he was awesome.
[/quote]
It was supposed to be a Jaco "homage" peice though D. I take your point, but I think that "too much like Jaco in both his tone and phrasing". is what Dicke was aiming for, surely. (well on this tune anyway)

He is an awesome sideman. If anyone heard him on the "Word of Mouth revisited" jaco tribute record, he really kicked ass there. I think he's somewhat overlooked though, as his own songs are never really amazing. It's been a long time since I saw this video and was wowed by those fretless chops, so thank you!

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1316552390' post='1379703']
It was supposed to be a Jaco "homage" peice though D. I take your point, but I think that "too much like Jaco in both his tone and phrasing". is what Dicke was aiming for, surely. (well on this tune anyway)
[/quote]
Yeah,I get that because Jaco played on the the album 'Bright Size Life'(which is a great album),but I still think that in general,Bona sometimes plays
too much like Jaco.
It's a shame because he's a great player and he's got his own brilliant thing going on,but when he straps on the fretless I think he tends
to lose a lot of his uniqueness.

Saw him at Bass Day the other year (where he virtually had me in tears) and off the back of that saw him at the Barbican not long after. He was unbelievable (didn't touch his fretless IIRC), bUt the best parts were all vocal ones, which is saying something given his bass playing!

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1316537980' post='1379415']
Richard Bona with Pat Metheny live. It's not just his soloing, his accompaniment to Metheny's playing is an amazing piece of fretless work.

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/09/04/pat-metheny-bright-size-life-live-with-richard-bona/"]http://www.notreble....h-richard-bona/[/url]
[/quote]

I was lucky enough to see them live - great gig. Richard also did some great vocal stuff too, but the man who stole the show was the drummer - Antonio Sanchez.

I've never seen a Bona gig that has been anything other than mind-blowing.
Find it incredibly strange that other bass players should be saying he should lay the bass down when he is such an inspiration, at the same time as doing the vocal/guitar thing....very odd.

Usually at gigs he's very refined with his playing, he steps out with solos and fills etc, but you can always see that he's just having fun and a lot of it is pretty tongue in cheek, he's no serious jazzer! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1316607706' post='1380285']
I've never seen a Bona gig that has been anything other than mind-blowing.
Find it incredibly strange that other bass players should be saying he should lay the bass down when he is such an inspiration, at the same time as doing the vocal/guitar thing....very odd.
[/quote]

His CV seems to indicate, that thankfully many top Musicians and Producers think his Bass playing is just fine.... :)
I have seen him a few times, and he always seems to be on it.
Also +1 for Antonio Sanchez.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1316602850' post='1380155']
I sort of agree with Janek where he said that Bona should leave his bass (especially fretless?) aside, and stick to his acoustic guitar+vocals thing, where he really sounds a unique artist and composer.
[/quote]

Quite ironic that Janek should say something about someone else having a unique voice as a musician, he is as derivative as they come himself!

He has featured on some RnB records, 2 of my favorite tracks Joe Thomas' 'Friends Dont Let Friends'
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuaX2xpAce0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuaX2xpAce0[/url]

And George Benson's version of Carl Thomas' 'I'm Missing You.'
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYrRnJP0Pc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYrRnJP0Pc[/url]

As mentioned above, he really complements guitar players. Awesome groover

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1316714959' post='1381917']He played with Weather Report, on percussion! He can play great guitar and has the voice of an angel. I too was almost in tears at Manchester a couple of years ago and we weren't the only ones.

Peter[/quote]

He didn't play with Weather Report on any instrument. He did play bass with Joe Zawinul though.

He was really good at Bass Day the other year.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1316716023' post='1381954']
He didn't play with Weather Report on any instrument. He did play bass with Joe Zawinul though.

He was really good at Bass Day the other year.
[/quote]

Interesting. Maybe it was Pat Methany then? I may have incorrectly remembered something the man himself said. Definitely performed as a percussionist, as opposed to a drummer, and I'm fairly sure he said a Weather Report derivation. Maybe it was a one off and you may of course not be aware?

Edited to add, it was the Pat Metheny Group. My point was that he's multi talented.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Used to be different but I can't stand his voice anymore....
Bought a couple of his cd's but unfortunately I'm not too fond of his compositions which I found uninspiring and nothing different than most world music. Very easy-listening and nothing else but smooth. Doesn't take too many risks imo, there's a spark which he has when he plays live which is missing on the cd's.
It's nice that he refers to Jaco but when you do it during every gig it gets a bit boring...the whole bunch of manierisms he has becomes a bit tedious after a while : the ambulance he imitates, the fast slide up and down the neck he uses to end the solo, the smile which never leaves his face I start to find strange (try it yourself to smile all of the time like he does while you're playing, you feel like The Joker after a while).
I have seen him live a couple of times and I got blown away by his bass-playing and his playing is mindblowing but I can only enjoy it in small doses..
A lot of world-music gets really interesting to me when it ends in the melting pot : Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, The Police (I like their reggae while I just can't stand Bob Marley).

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1316758829' post='1382369']
the smile which never leaves his face I start to find strange (try it yourself to smile all of the time like he does while you're playing, you feel like The Joker after a while).
[/quote]

I think the point is that he's not 'trying' to smile.....if you have to 'try' to smile when you're playing, something is wrong imo, it should just happen because you love what you're doing!

Si

I can truly understand that you can have a good time on stage and that you're enjoying yourself...it even happens to me :-)
Still I think its weird when you see someone with a smile on his face nearly all of the time, it's been since Lee Ritenour that someone claimed that trophy..
Like in normal life, you can have moments of happiness but if you're happy continuously you're on something imo..