Why become a member? ×

OK Basschatters how do I get my mits on this?

stingrayPete1977

If this were in the UK it would already be mine by now and if the possibility of getting shipped is not too bad I will have a punt on it anyway :)
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140608637291?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140608637291?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648[/url]

Whats the normal way of doing a deal like this? I have 100% ebay feedback over hundreds of items so Im sure that will be fine but what happens when it hits the UK?

Sorry for the newb subject but I have never done a purchase like this, Might add another GB shuttle at some point too if it works out :)

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1316538921' post='1379432']
I see , I have asked for a possible buy it now price so I can try and get an accurate cost, if he gives me an idea I will add 25% then, What happens when it comes here, where would it end up etc? Thanks
[/quote]

wait outside the airport with a sign that says "musicman" and see how many funny looks you get :-P

If he sends it UPS it will come straight to your door, with a bill for the 3.7% import duty + VAT @ 20% on the declared value + a fee for the courier, something like £11. Then you'll have to find your cheque book - remember where you put it? :)

Cheerz, John

I have my cheque book but not the spare cash to meet the price he has offered it to me for once that 25% is added it takes it near to what I paid for my 2010 less than a year ago. Plan B is now in effect :)

Thanks for the info though folks, food for thought and those who think you can still get a pre EB for $700 might be in for a shock when they find that won't cover the import duty!

Holiday with an empty case in order me thinks :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

If you buy a bass/guitar from the USA make sure the seller does NOT post it via UPS! I work for them they are expensive (unless you are stinking rich of course). I buy and have bought a lot of stuff from the USA. What I do is ask the seller in advance if they will ship USPS (United States Postal Service) which is a bit like our equivalent Royal Mail. It usually costs around $120 to ship including insurance but it will be 3 times that with UPS believe me. I always pay with Paypal using my credit card (so should anything happen, like he does not send it), you are covered because Ebay will only cover up to £500 anyway. Once it arrives you collect it from Royal Mail and then pay them the import duty/tax on it at whatever the rate is.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1316538358' post='1379421']
Add about 25%, that's what you'll pay the postie before he hands it over to you.
[/quote]

Thought it was 21% tax in Ireland, and 18% in England, or are you including the shipping price too?

FWIW, I've bought quite a few basses from the US, no trouble, but I've always gone through stores, or eBay stores.

Edited by Darkstrike

It's spot on for me Doddy, Different again to my others as it's a rosewood board and not a common bass on these shores either. I'm playing a 5 most the time now and have been looking at that era of bass for ages in a 4 yet it never occured to me to go for an early 5. I might look for a ceramic pup rosewood board 5 though just to cover more Ray angles :)

PS I'm playing at the swan in Leek on October the 4th :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1316548106' post='1379606']
Nice one , I will drop you a text nearer the time and treat you to a pint :) what's it like in there and will an originals band be thrown out?
[/quote]
Ace. It's a nice pub...it won't be any problems being an original band.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1316544215' post='1379523']
What is the tax, Vat?
[/quote]

Customs duty and VAT. Details here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

And IIRC its charged on the value of the goods and shiiping costs. I imported a bass from Seattle last year, and ended up paying just over 20% of the price in duties before the bass could be collected.

He has reduced his price to me saying the other guys offer fell through, I'm really tempted now!
I think he thought I was pulling his chain when I said I needed to factor an extra 25% but maybe he has been checking it out and found it to be correct. I'm going to chew it over today I think.

Isn't it nice Chris! :)